What's new

Lapping film, try it.

You are probably pushing on the razor too hard when you're honing them. Too much pressure, maybe over-honing the edge, causing a brittle edge and then cleaning that up with the coti makes it feel nicer. Like Slash said, you should have no harsh edges if you're using 1 micron lapping film and using the wet paper method as well.

I'm not sure how many laps you're doing nor whether or not it will make a difference for your blades. What I've done (recommended method from rickboone1) is basically 1/2 the laps on each subsequent film. On 1um film, I'm only doing 15 laps with no pressure, and only 5-10 on the 1um with paper. Doesn't need more than that and I've not had a harsh shave off of any razor I've honed.

Cheers,

M.

So far I've honed 4 razors with film. 12,5,3,1,1 with paper. All are much sharper than they were before using my coticule. Very close shaves, no pulling around my chin like I got with the coti edges. All 4 razors are much harsher. I don't currently have a strop with chromium oxide, which I understand is usually recommended for after lapping film, so I thought I'd try a few laps on the coti. On two of them I honed about 40-50 laps with a very light slurry then 40-50 more with water only. Shaved with one of these this morning and it was a bit better. On the other two I did some spine-leading strokes on a light slurry. I will shave with one of those tomorrow. So far my conclusion is that I need some chromium oxide. Any other suggestions for taming a harsh edge? Particularly approaches that I can do with the equipment I already have (film, coticule, linen and leather strop). I know I can probably lighten pressure even further, which I have done with all of the razors and I don't have the same issues with a brand new blade in my shavette, so I think technique is only a small contributor if at all. Thanks
So far, I have only used Films once, so take my recommendation for what it's worth.

Try taking a shave ready and do 3, 1. Make sure that all previous scratches are removed completely with the 3 before moving to the 1. I suspect that there could be some underlying scratches if you aren't getting good results. If you have magnification, do your best to verify the underlying scratches from the 12 and 5 and 3 are all gone. Then you can move on to 1 with damp paper. Strop and shave. See how that turns out.

If you still don't like the results, try 3, 1 (do not do 1 on paper, you will want a flat bevel for this). Then, try taming the edge on your Coti. Just a few strokes (try 5 or maybe 10) on just water. If it's still harsh, try another 5 or 10 strokes. You were completely destroying any film edge you had created when you took it to the Coti with slurry, so you were winding up with a Coti edge. This might help you keep the sharpness of the film, but give you some of the smoothness of the Coti. It's worth a shot :).

So far, I have only used Films once, so take my recommendation for what it's worth.

Try taking a shave ready and do 3, 1. Make sure that all previous scratches are removed completely with the 3 before moving to the 1. I suspect that there could be some underlying scratches if you aren't getting good results. If you have magnification, do your best to verify the underlying scratches from the 12 and 5 and 3 are all gone. Then you can move on to 1 with damp paper. Strop and shave. See how that turns out.

If you still don't like the results, try 3, 1 (do not do 1 on paper, you will want a flat bevel for this). Then, try taming the edge on your Coti. Just a few strokes (try 5 or maybe 10) on just water. If it's still harsh, try another 5 or 10 strokes. You were completely destroying any film edge you had created when you took it to the Coti with slurry, so you were winding up with a Coti edge. This might help you keep the sharpness of the film, but give you some of the smoothness of the Coti. It's worth a shot :).

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!

Heretic!!!!!

Witches are female. If you want to insult me, at least make it a gender appropriate slander! Technology Lover!

Last edited by a moderator:
Chaloney I have been going from 3 straight to 1 with 3pcs damp paper with really good results for me anyway. My left side neck area is irritated almost always no matter what I've tried but this has been my best result so far. YMMV.

Thanks for all the guidance. I think it may hav been too much pressure when honing. I redid yesterday's razor after lightly dulling the blade and focused on very light pressure while honing. I had some trouble with lifting the heel end of the spine sometimes so I kept my index ringer resting on that part of the spine and that seemed to keep the blade flat but the pressure minimal. I think the edge could be better as I did an occasional stroke with some or all of the spine slightly off the film, but the shave this morning was better. So now I get to redo all the razors again, but I guess I need the practice.

Thanks again

So far I've honed up two edges on film. I have 3 and 1 micron. I start on my DMT 600, move to the king 1k, then 3 then 1 and finally 1 with wet paper. Edge is pretty good. I remembered I had a linen component from a cheap strop and I applied crox to that, so I might finish off with it from now on. Shave tests have been great.

My only concern is that I end up getting black spots under the 1 micron film. Am I doing too many laps? Too much pressure? I clean the surface and the film as best as I can with a plastic putty knife. I squeegee everything before use. I hate to not be able to re use the film after only one use, the black spots form bumps

When i used film i would wash the plate and the back of the film with running water. Any little anything gets under there and thats what happens.

Using lapping film allows you to assign a star value to anything you want as you are automatically a critic as soon as it's in your possession.

So far I've honed up two edges on film. I have 3 and 1 micron. I start on my DMT 600, move to the king 1k, then 3 then 1 and finally 1 with wet paper. Edge is pretty good. I remembered I had a linen component from a cheap strop and I applied crox to that, so I might finish off with it from now on. Shave tests have been great.

My only concern is that I end up getting black spots under the 1 micron film. Am I doing too many laps? Too much pressure? I clean the surface and the film as best as I can with a plastic putty knife. I squeegee everything before use. I hate to not be able to re use the film after only one use, the black spots form bumps

I have a 1 micorn film that looks like that only worse. In my case it is due to the fact that the tile I am using has texture. I have gone on to hone many a razor on my black spotted 1 micron with no appreciable deterioration of edge quality. As long as the spots are just spots and not a hard bump, I would not worry about it.

I have a 1 micorn film that looks like that only worse. In my case it is due to the fact that the tile I am using has texture. I have gone on to hone many a razor on my black spotted 1 micron with no appreciable deterioration of edge quality. As long as the spots are just spots and not a hard bump, I would not worry about it.

Yup.

Black smudgies and such only add character to film. If we come up with some fancy, foreign names for the discolorations they will be seen as desirable.

You can also attach a different type of rating to the review. Perhaps in addition to the star rating we can add a thumb quantifier to the mix.

This lapping film is 4 stars for performance and two thumbs up for appearance.

Top Bottom