What's new

Lapping film, try it.

I haven't read this thread completely through, but I am looking for some opinion on the films available from Amazon. 3M and Zona come to mind. Does any film stand above the others among their selection? I have a $10 Amazon giftcard that I'd like to use, and this seems like the perfect opportunity.

I purchased some sheets from Best Sharpening Stones, and found they are adhesive backed. I was planning to use them on my granite surface plate. I tested a corner and found that it can be applied and removed. I'm worried that apply and removing them often will wear out the adhesive, or they will pick up dirt etc and become useless.

Should I instead buy individual tiles or glass pieces to place them on until they are used up or am I over thinking this?

If it were me, if I had adhesive backed films I would get each one its own tile. Mostly because removing something with an adhesive back can sometimes cause stretching of the material. But, I tend to overthink things myself.

Hey guys, which lapping films do you recommend? And from where (online shop please as I live in Sweden) to buy them?

How do you order from them? Looks like you have to work with an account manager?

When I ordered from them, I called the number on their webpage, talked to a guy, and ordered. That was some time ago. Their film is pretty good, but not the best in my opinion.

The Jende prices look RIDICULOUS for what you get! Are there films really that much better than others available for far cheaper?

$38 for TWO 3x8 films? That seems excessive. Am I wrong?

$JendePrices.jpg

The Jende prices look RIDICULOUS for what you get! Are there films really that much better than others available for far cheaper?

$38 for TWO 3x8 films? That seems excessive. Am I wrong?

View attachment 605268

Yeah, for my money, you are. When I use them, I most often use the 1 x 6 although I have used the 2 x 6. And these are the Diamond films. I think the Nanolap ones were about $8 for a small sheet when I got them and there is a pretty significant difference in the two.

Again, It's how often you use them that's an issue. I am a heavy duty user to long life is relevant. Heck, some years ago someone was selling super heavy duty Diamond film mounted on 1 x 6 bases for around $40 per. I think they may have been more popular with the knife crew.

I've been lucky and a number of makers have sent me their Diamond film for testing do I have seen a lot of different types. For me, the Jende is the best.

I'd never pay for those big sheets though. Most of my honing is with synthetics and I use 1 x 6 hones so the size of the film suits me.

What I don't know is where to get decent AO Film or he Crx types. I knew Rick Boone occasionally had it but I haven't seen him or heard from him in a long time.

At the end of the game, film is like razors. It's often a good idea to spend a bit more for the good stuff.

Just my two cents.

Yeah, for my money, you are. When I use them, I most often use the 1 x 6 although I have used the 2 x 6. And these are the Diamond films. I think the Nanolap ones were about $8 for a small sheet when I got them and there is a pretty significant difference in the two.

Again, It's how often you use them that's an issue. I am a heavy duty user to long life is relevant. Heck, some years ago someone was selling super heavy duty Diamond film mounted on 1 x 6 bases for around $40 per. I think they may have been more popular with the knife crew.

I've been lucky and a number of makers have sent me their Diamond film for testing do I have seen a lot of different types. For me, the Jende is the best.

I'd never pay for those big sheets though. Most of my honing is with synthetics and I use 1 x 6 hones so the size of the film suits me.

What I don't know is where to get decent AO Film or he Crx types. I knew Rick Boone occasionally had it but I haven't seen him or heard from him in a long time.

At the end of the game, film is like razors. It's often a good idea to spend a bit more for the good stuff.

Just my two cents.

Thanks for the input James. You answered my questions quite well.

I haven't seen Rick online in awhile either. He's the one who lured me into straight razors.

Thanks for the input James. You answered my questions quite well.

I haven't seen Rick online in awhile either. He's the one who lured me into straight razors.

Happy to see this old thread still going.

If you come across a good source for the AO Film or the Crx types, let me know. While Diamond film is very, very fast, the edge it leaes behind is not gentle.

One quick fix is to do a few laps on the AO film at the same or finer grit than the last Diamond film you used.

Top Bottom