What's new

Lambda vs Timeless

I

Island

If you have used a Timeless titanium razor and Lambda Athena, how does the dual comb .68 open/scalloped plate compare with the Athena for comfort and efficiency? I understand the usual recommendation is to buy both, but that seems excessive.

Hi @Island,

I can partially chime in as I have the .95 scalloped baseplate. A hard question to answer straight forward - and I am not pointing in the direction of the usual B&B answer either.

The blade gap of the Athena is almost nothing to just nothing, so I definitely have more blade experience with the Ti95. I am not necessarily saying blade feel, because although the blade is very present in my Ti95 (and I assume it would be similar with the .68 as it has positive blade exposure according to Timeless' website) the Athena has the odd sensation that it gives you the characteristics of blade feel when in actuality you should not have this experience as the Athena has neutral blade exposure.

To me (and your mileage may vary) both razors are super comfortable to use with almost equal efficiency. I would perhaps give a nod to the Ti95, but the difference is not that big for me. I think in (large) part this is because of Athena's design with its mix of open comb / safety bar set up we also see with the R41 and the Eclipse Red Ring.

There is obviously the weight difference to be factored in. We are comparing titanium with marine grade brass here and the Athena is a heavy razor - maybe even the heaviest I have in my collection. The Ti95 on the other hand is really light weight but enough weight to experience you are indeed holding utility equipment in your hands. I have seen others that swap Athena's OEM handle for something lighter (and smaller) to compensate this aspect.

My Ti95 came before my Athena and both are with mostly me for emotional reasons. When forced to make a choice either of these razors would easily be a razor for life. I adore Athena's design and I absolutely love the design of my Ti95. At gunpoint I think I would go with the Ti95, but as I said the differences are very small. If I would have to start all over again, chances are I would go with the Athena, because it is a European razor and I am in the EU so that makes it less of a hassle (taxes, import fees, shipping time) to get that. And honestly, you cannot beat the casing it comes in either - but that doesn't impact shave quality of course.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have both the Ti 0.68OC w/ scalloped top cap.... and the Athena. I agree with @Guido75 , both are that good.

I've had one less than stellar shave with both of them.... just one each. It's funny, because my last shave was with my Timeless Ti and I'd never had a hmmmmm I'd have to say "mediocre" shave with the Timeless before. It could have been the Nacet I used, though I've had great shaves with them all the previous times I've used one. I'm going to try another one next shave and see if I can figure out what's going on. I've been on a Perma-Sharp kick lately but I used Nacets for a long run there previously.

In any event, I get 12 hour shaves with them both and I'd hate to part with either of them. Lovely razors.

I have the Athena...the best looking modern razor I have ever seen. I'ver had timeless razors before but I still have the Athena. I also do not care for light razors so aluminum and Ti are both non players for me.

I had Timeless 95 SS closed,Timeless bronze 38 and Timeless bronze 78 OC
I still have Athena and Ares from Lambda
Between the 2 I prefer the Lambda products and in this case Athena "softness and efficiency that leave you speechless"
I don't like particularly delicate razors, but I'm happy to have Athena on my team

I don't have Ti but I have a stainless matte finish Timeless .68 and .95 SB, and a Lambda Athena. I rarely use the.68, I find the .95 much more efficient with only a very slight increase in aggression. I've had a few OC razors but I prefer SB.

The Timeless .95 and the Athena along with the Blackland Blackbird and Karve Overlander are my favorite DE razors. They each easily give me a 12 to 14 hour shave, and I would have a hard time choosing if I had to keep only one. Although I will have to admit I find myself reaching for the Overlander more and more. My Blackbird is polished; it and the Athena require a bit of extra care because I like to keep my razors looking nice. The Timeless takes a bit of extra cleaning while with the Overlander I just rinse it, dry it, and put it away. And I just like the feel of it in my hand. But I digress....

For your decision, I think the weight of the Athena compared to a Ti Timeless would be the biggest difference. They both give a comfortable BBS shave. The Athena comes with a nice storage box if that makes any difference to you. And over time the Athena will require some light polishing. Due to the design of the baseplate, the Timeless will require a bit of extra cleaning which they sell a nice little brush that makes it quick and easy.

They are both great razors but the choice depends on your personal taste. I once worked with a lady who used the phrase "whatever makes your skirt fly up". So take a look at both and get whichever one makes your skirt fly up. ;)

I

Island

The Timeless .95 and the Athena along with the Blackland Blackbird and Karve Overlander are my favorite DE razors. They each easily give me a 12 to 14 hour shave, and I would have a hard time choosing if I had to keep only one.
I've had over a dozen DE razors. The only two that consistently give me a BBS 10/10 shave are the Blackbird Ti and the Timeless .95 SB titanium. I actually got the latter recently from a member on B&B and was surprised at its efficiency. I had previously owned the Timeless .95 SB stainless and found it smooth but lacking in closeness compared with the Blackbird. Unlike almost everyone else, I've found the titanium version more efficient. I tried the .68 SB stainless, and it was even less efficient.

The problem is the ATG pass. If I am not careful, the Timeless Ti .95 and BB Ti can cause weepers. I've used the overlander and it is perfect ATG. But it is only average XTG or WTG. So I end up having to use two razors or be very careful. That is why I posed the question.

I

Island

I've considered an adjustable but my experience tells me that what works best WTG, ATG, etc depends more on geometry than blade gap. For instance, I didn't like the blackbird lite - which reduced the gap lowering efficiency while not improving smoothness ATG.

I've had over a dozen DE razors. The only two that consistently give me a BBS 10/10 shave are the Blackbird Ti and the Timeless .95 SB titanium. I actually got the latter recently from a member on B&B and was surprised at its efficiency. I had previously owned the Timeless .95 SB stainless and found it smooth but lacking in closeness compared with the Blackbird. Unlike almost everyone else, I've found the titanium version more efficient. I tried the .68 SB stainless, and it was even less efficient.

The problem is the ATG pass. If I am not careful, the Timeless Ti .95 and BB Ti can cause weepers. I've used the overlander and it is perfect ATG. But it is only average XTG or WTG. So I end up having to use two razors or be very careful. That is why I posed the question.
You already have some elite level razors. It’s a hard choice, I have considered the Athena and a timeless ti 68 oc. Both are beautifully made and both get very positive reports.
The nice thing about the timeless is that you can return it, if is not what you are looking for. Good luck on your search

Thanks for posting this as I’m looking at these two, as well as the Karve overlander for my next buy.
No offense to Karve, their Christopher Bradley series are perfectly good razors, but the Overlander didn't work for me, in terms of efficiency, it was far too low for my rough and tough stubbles.

For timeless, they are really good, and smooth razors, and the .95 OCs are amazingly smooth with adequate efficiency. Their SLIMs are amongst the MOST efficient razors I have ever owned.

Lambdas are, to me, objects of amazement. Their geometry suggests that they are very mild and potentially inefficient. However, this cannot be further from the truth. They shave incredibly amazingly, and clears off multi day stubbles with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

All in all, Lambdas are my favourite mild razors.

No offense to Karve, their Christopher Bradley series are perfectly good razors, but the Overlander didn't work for me, in terms of efficiency, it was far too low for my rough and tough stubbles.

For timeless, they are really good, and smooth razors, and the .95 OCs are amazingly smooth with adequate efficiency. Their SLIMs are amongst the MOST efficient razors I have ever owned.

Lambdas are, to me, objects of amazement. Their geometry suggests that they are very mild and potentially inefficient. However, this cannot be further from the truth. They shave incredibly amazingly, and clears off multi day stubbles with absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Which is more nimble?

I guess it boils down to weight and or thickness of the head. If lightness is your metric, then go with a Ti razor. The heads of Lambdas are slightly slimmer if memory serves me correctly.

What you stated above is your experience. Others might state 180 opposite opinion.

Both opinions are 110%, because how you use tool to remove beard.

Only true way is give 100 people same razors, same blades, brush n soap.

Have everyone shave for week with one razor, then switch.

Write down experiences, tally info, declare winner.

Still some will disagree.

What you stated above is your experience. Others might state 180 opposite opinion.

Both opinions are 110%, because how you use tool to remove beard.

Only true way is give 100 people same razors, same blades, brush n soap.

Have everyone shave for week with one razor, then switch.

Write down experiences, tally info, declare winner.

Still some will disagree.
It absolutely is. I would assume that ALL readers of B&B would understand that all posts are 100% subjective to the individual user. Afterall, one of the guiding principles and also what makes this a HOBBY and not a STUDY is YMMV. Happy shaves to everyone!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Timeless now has a veteran's day discount.
The advantage over Lambda is that you buy and it ships right away. Lambda is mostly preorder.
I bought my Ares when a few were left in stock, likely cancelled preorders.

It absolutely is. I would assume that ALL readers of B&B would understand that all posts are 100% subjective to the individual user. Afterall, one of the guiding principles and also what makes this a HOBBY and not a STUDY is YMMV. Happy shaves to everyone!

I do not think all people are that bright, if indeed they were we would not have warning labels on products.

Recently got new Cigar Cutter, see seeing warning on packaging mean less liability from dumb people misusing.

Blake be attached to knife, razor, cigar cutter, etc ARE SHARP.
IMG_5539.jpeg

I do not think all people are that bright, if indeed they were we would not have warning labels on products.

Recently got new Cigar Cutter, see seeing warning on packaging mean less liability from dumb people misusing.

Blake be attached to knife, razor, cigar cutter, etc ARE SHARP.View attachment 1745798
Hahaha. Ok I have to hand that to you. This reminds me of the McDonalds Apple Pe incident... After the lawsuit, McDonalds had to put on EVERY apple pie box worldwide, "Caution: Filling is HOT"

Top Bottom