What's new

Lambda Lovers

High five for joining in on the fun, @Big_T! Of course this entire hobby is personal - both the conditions of one's person and one's personal preferences.

I've only had one shave with the Athena-halo and for me it was worlds better. I have to give it a lot more tries though. I didn't have to focus on offsetting the top-heaviness of the razor and I had a much better grip with the o-rings. I could relax and really enjoy the shave. The Athena head is terrific, I still get all the smoothness and efficiency out of it. I love the looks of the Athena with its handle, it is gorgeous. But I never found the handle to be functionally better. On the other hand, the head is functionally better than most razor heads I've used.

I've had a few shaves with the Lambda-halo and am really loving it! It fixes the top-heaviness of the razor and really improves the grip too. Of course I'll display the razor with the original, beautiful handle, but this combo works much better for me.

The razor is amazing, I did something with it that I don't do with many - skipped the WTG pass and went right to XTG. I only have the confidence to do that with a reliable razor with a rigid blade - either through clamping or an injector. The Athena is also efficient enough that I can get an excellent shave in just two passes.

I've had a few shaves with the Lambda-halo and am really loving it! It fixes the top-heaviness of the razor and really improves the grip too. Of course I'll display the razor with the original, beautiful handle, but this combo works much better for me.

The razor is amazing, I did something with it that I don't do with many - skipped the WTG pass and went right to XTG. I only have the confidence to do that with a reliable razor with a rigid blade - either through clamping or an injector. The Athena is also efficient enough that I can get an excellent shave in just two passes.
It’s great to hear you found the solution and that you are getting the shaves you hoped for now. You’re right, a different handle can make a big difference to a razor sometimes. And through your trials we’ve all learned something that might help other Athena users - I hadn’t paid much attention to the handle weight before you pointed it out.

I must try a shave with my bronze Wolfman Darwin handle to see how it feels, though I generally prefer either a balanced or handle-heavy razor.

I’m not suggesting anybody should buy a Wolfman handle just to match the Athena colour - after all, the handle costs more than a whole Athena razor - I just have one because I bought a bronze Wolfman and bronze is one of their best value options.

I must check if the Ares v2 handle fits the Athena too, and how much it weighs. But I guess it’s also heavy since it was enlarged a lot compared to the Ares v1 handle.

80C3B593-B658-43A1-8DF0-CF41A1982724.jpeg

Wow, that looks beautiful!

I don't think I'd mind a heavy handle with the Athena, it is just the top-heaviness that threw me off. I could continue to work to counter that, but it is much easier to use a different handle and enjoy the shaves. This does lead me to wonder about different handle designs. Maybe a lighter one, a more balanced one, or even one that is weighted a bit more at the bottom, like that pretty Wolfman above.

Wow, that looks beautiful!

I don't think I'd mind a heavy handle with the Athena, it is just the top-heaviness that threw me off. I could continue to work to counter that, but it is much easier to use a different handle and enjoy the shaves. This does lead me to wonder about different handle designs. Maybe a lighter one, a more balanced one, or even one that is weighted a bit more at the bottom, like that pretty Wolfman above.
Please keep us apprised as you experiment. The people need to know.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The Athena is a heavy razor, true... and some of you know how fast I change out handles... but somehow, for me, the Athena has a nice balance and the handle feels natural for me. I don't find that I hunt around for the right way to grip it. I didn't pay any attention, really.. just started using it.

I will say this.... and I know I tend to follow @Mr. Shavington 's lead on razors... I put myself on the Wolfman list yesterday. I'm going to sell off most of my razors except my top 5 and order a Bronze W2 .95 with the Darwin handle and matching stand. At least, that is the plan. We'll see how well my razors sell.

The Athena is a heavy razor, true... and some of you know how fast I change out handles... but somehow, for me, the Athena has a nice balance and the handle feels natural for me. I don't find that I hunt around for the right way to grip it. I didn't pay any attention, really.. just started using it.

I will say this.... and I know I tend to follow @Mr. Shavington 's lead on razors... I put myself on the Wolfman list yesterday. I'm going to sell off most of my razors except my top 5 and order a Bronze W2 .95 with the Darwin handle and matching stand. At least, that is the plan. We'll see how well my razors sell.
A Wolfman? Damn. I think you’ll like the 0.95, though. It surprised me how nice it feels and how efficient it is for me. I hope it’s the same for you. Wolfman waiting list is about six weeks now, so it won’t take long.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
A Wolfman? Damn. I think you’ll like the 0.95, though. It surprised me how nice it feels and how efficient it is for me. I hope it’s the same for you. Wolfman waiting list is about six weeks now, so it won’t take long.
I know I'll like it, based on your thorough review. I know it will set me back a bit but I do have a lot of razors to sell. I'm not feeling all that well today or I would have some of them posted already... maybe later this afternoon.

In addition, I just ordered another Blutt BR-1 top cap only so I'll have two complete Blutts set up, ready to shave. The .86 is a smooth shaving head... just a tad less efficient than the 1.20... for days when I need an "Overlander" shave. <eg>

Is the 22- the year or batch 22 still?
Honestly, I don't know but it is a fair assumption that Theo is considering this batch to be 2022 production. His e-mail said that the batch would contain serial numbers 22-201 through 22-250. So, there will be 50 razors in this batch. He also graciously invited us to let him know if we wished to reserve a specific serial number. I tried unsuccessfully to get serial number 22-222, and was happy to get number 22-234. In all truth, any serial number will make me happy. This is fun :)

Honestly, I don't know but it is a fair assumption that Theo is considering this batch to be 2022 production. His e-mail said that the batch would contain serial numbers 22-201 through 22-250. So, there will be 50 razors in this batch. He also graciously invited us to let him know if we wished to reserve a specific serial number. I tried unsuccessfully to get serial number 22-222, and was happy to get number 22-234. In all truth, any serial number will make me happy. This is fun :)
I’m sure you’re right. They would have been machined in 2022. He will just be finishing the polishing and fitting out the boxes. The very first run of Athenas was released in February 2022 and they all had 21-XXX numbers because they were machined in 2021.

By the way, probably best not to get 22-222. People would think you have a bad stutter.

The serial number thing is interesting . Appreciate the thought, glad you are about the score one.

I’m sure you’re right. They would have been machined in 2022. He will just be finishing the polishing and fitting out the boxes. The very first run of Athenas was released in February 2022 and they all had 21-XXX numbers because they were machined in 2021.

By the way, probably best not to get 22-222. People would think you have a bad stutter.
Lol Bad Stutter, that's a mess.

Lambda has posted on their Facebook page that the final batch of 2022 Athena and Ares V2 is ready to be shipped. If you are on the waiting list contact them if they have not contacted you by now!

Top Bottom