10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10
(BBS-)
11/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. A perfect shave to kickoff Christmas Day. All actors in todays shave gave a great performance!

There is an opportunity to get a Blackbird from a local site, but I haven’t followed through. Also read the Ares is as efficient as the Blackbird with comfort added into the mix. Comfort is what I want more than anything in a razor. I blame @walpan for his raving reviews in getting me to consider the Ares rather than the Blackbird.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Received my Ares v2 today
tempImagePaHPmK.jpg
tempImagepfvTRu.jpg

Date14.01.2024
366 daily shaves
014/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaKCG (4)Razorock 400
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
Face Wash
Mastro Miche preshave
Barrister + Mann Leviathan
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (Highly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
9/10
(BBS)
10/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Supercalifragalistic Sunday Shave. All fantastic players for a fantastic win. Loving it!

Enjoy your shave!

Date26.01.2024
366 daily shaves
026/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaKCG (16)Simpson T3
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
Face Wash
Mastro Miche preshave
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9/10 (Significantly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
10/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Calm and relaxing shave today as I reached for the Athena. Close and comfortable as always.

Enjoy your shave!

Date04.02.2024
366 daily shaves
035/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaGillette Blue Blade (4)Omega 10098
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
9.5/10 (Significantly Consistent)9/10
(One weeper)
8.75/10
(BBS-)
7/10
(Comfortable)

Notes:

Summary. A very sweet and dandy Sunday shave with an excellent razor.

Enjoy your shave!

Are the Ares and Athena as large as they appear in pictures? The Athena looks massive next to a Blackbird. I'm most interested in the Ares and as far as I can tell it has the same basic dimensions as the Athena.

Also, how difficult and time consuming is it to keep the Ares handle looking nice? Those grooves seem like a pain to clean and dry.

I'm very interested in the razor but hesitant to purchase given the lack of a trial period and relative expense.

Edited to add: seems it isn't too difficult to keep clean if you follow the maker's instructions. HOW TO CLEAN THE PATINA OFF A BRONZE RAZOR - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/how-to-clean-the-patina-off-a-bronze-razor.644583/

Still curious about the overall size.

Last edited:
The Athena looks massive next to a Blackbird.
Because it is. In comparison at least. The handle of the Athena is larger than a Timeless Crown handle for reference (if that helps). A standard Blackbird is now the size of a vintage Gillette TTO razor.
Also, how difficult and time consuming is it to keep the Ares handle looking nice? Those grooves seem like a pain to clean and dry.
While I don’t have the Ares the handle is easy to clean based on similar handles I have. I rinse and then take a micro towel and buff/dry the razor. So far the Athena has not developed any patina at all. At least to my eye and especially if I compare it to my Karve CB.

The Athena is an amazing razor and from what I have read the Ares is similarly amazing. I almost got one, but decided against it because the results are so very close to each other that for me it felt redundant. And I am glad I did, because just a month later I found a polished Blackbird for sale and they very rarely show up here.

Cheers,

Guido

Because it is. In comparison at least. The handle of the Athena is larger than a Timeless Crown handle for reference (if that helps). A standard Blackbird is now the size of a vintage Gillette TTO razor.

While I don’t have the Ares the handle is easy to clean based on similar handles I have. I rinse and then take a micro towel and buff/dry the razor. So far the Athena has not developed any patina at all. At least to my eye and especially if I compare it to my Karve CB.

The Athena is an amazing razor and from what I have read the Ares is similarly amazing. I almost got one, but decided against it because the results are so very close to each other that for me it felt redundant. And I am glad I did, because just a month later I found a polished Blackbird for sale and they very rarely show up here.

Cheers,

Guido

Thanks for the comparison to the Timeless crown handle. I have the spiral handle, which is smaller than the crown, and I think it's plenty big enough.

I'm torn on the Ares. I hear so many good things about the Lambda razors but I'm also very happy with my Timeless .68 oc and I'm not sure how much better the Ares could be. It's kind of like already having something that is in the 99nth percentile for you, yet chasing that last 1 percent. How much is that really worth?

I guess it's all a personal decision in the end. I'm going to do more research and if I end up with one I'll definitely post my thoughts here. 🍻

but I'm also very happy with my Timeless .68 oc and I'm not sure how much better the Ares could be.
I think it is actually not a question of better but one of being different. Just to give you an idea: I compared the Athena with the Eclipse Red Ring because of the similarities in head design and the shave was very very similar in terms of results. Very different in terms of experience.

I have a Timeless as well (scalloped .95) and it is a fantastic razor. The Athena holds its own, but the Ti95 is more effective longer term. Was the Athena absolutely necessary to get? No. I just find it to be a beautiful razor by design and I only got it as a tangible memory of a celebration moment. I personally do not see myself getting a Wolfman for that matter. I love the pictures from others, but I see very little need in getting that razor extra on top of the ones I already have. It would be a very expensive extra in my part of the globe at that.

So this is YMMV in full. My latest addition is a Game Changer .84 - absolutely love it! And I know you have had mixed results with it. For variety the Ares will not let you down - at least I see very few reports of the Ares failing fellow shavers. And if you are very happy with the .68OC why change a winning team?

🍻

Guido

Thanks for the comparison to the Timeless crown handle. I have the spiral handle, which is smaller than the crown, and I think it's plenty big enough.

I'm torn on the Ares. I hear so many good things about the Lambda razors but I'm also very happy with my Timeless .68 oc and I'm not sure how much better the Ares could be. It's kind of like already having something that is in the 99nth percentile for you, yet chasing that last 1 percent. How much is that really worth?

I guess it's all a personal decision in the end. I'm going to do more research and if I end up with one I'll definitely post my thoughts here. 🍻
If your shaves with the Timeless 0.68 are reliably easy, comfortable, close, long-lasting, and free of irritation or red spots, then you can’t really improve much on that. I shaved with my Timeless 0.68 recently as somebody asked me about it, and it was a very good shave. I would say, for me, the Lambda razors feel smoother and more comfortable, and are easier to get a long-lasting BBS shave with. My Timeless 0.68 is dual comb and I got significantly more efficiency, more easily from the open comb side, but the Lambda still feels gentler and is more efficient.

Other pros and cons related to handling (which matter too) - the Lambda razors are heavier and the handles have less grip, the Timeless head is bulkier and feels more clunky, the Timeless satin finish feels a little gritty on my face and the polished Lambdas are much smoother feeling. The Lambdas are a bit higher maintenance because you’ll want to dry the razor thoroughly after shaving so you don’t get dark patina spots caused by water droplets.

I would quantify the difference higher than 1%, but it isn’t like night and day. You made an excellent choice buying the Timeless. So, my opinion is that the Lambda is potentially a nice improvement if you don’t mind spending €200 some day, but you are also good with what you have and you won’t miss what the Lambda offers if you haven’t tried it. I think (if you are ok with the Lambda weight and handle) it is a razor you are likely to enjoy shaving with a bit more than the Timeless, and only you can say if that’s worth spending €200. Otherwise be happy that you have a really excellent razor and put Lambda out of your mind for now.

Just one man’s opinion, of course, but I hope it helps.

I think it is actually not a question of better but one of being different.

I think this is a big part of what is drawing me to the Ares. I don't have anything in brass, bronze, or copper and the Ares just looks so good (not to mention the high praise it receives in terms of performance). I wish the Athena handle was available for the Ares.

My Timeless 0.68 is dual comb and I got significantly more efficiency, more easily from the open comb side, but the Lambda still feels gentler and is more efficient.

I feel the same way about my Timeless. The oc (both .68 and .95) perform much better for me than the sb or scalloped without any extra harshness. I actually find the oc smoothest of the three options. For the Lambda to be smoother is really impressive.

I really appreciate @Guido75 and @Mr. Shavington taking the time to share your thoughts and I'm in agreement. The Ares is very much a want rather than a need, particularly considering that I already have something that works so well. I'll put it out of my mind for a few days and see if the desire to own one comes back. Thanks for the advice and the rare instance of B&Bers talking a member out of a purchase 😆

Top Bottom