Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20m)9/10 (Two small red spots)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
9.5/10 (BBS+)
10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary - Fantastic double shave today with two top razors from different shaving eras delivering an excellent BBS approaching marble status end result.

Razors and blades - @Mr. Shavington and I had a small chat about potential similarities between the Athena and Red Ring (see here for a comparison photo). And I promised to do a comparison shave. For a fair comparison I had the Eclipse all closed. I loaded both razors with a fresh Perma Sharp (Perma Sharps are not my favourite blade - they are a little harsher, but this is for science and so I take one for the team as these are one of Mr. Shavingtons current goto blades). WTG: Eclipse on the left and Athena on the right. XTG: Athena on the left. Eclipse on the right. ATG: Eclipse on the left and Athena on the right again. Touch up: Eclipse left and Athena on the right (and chin). I am a daily shaver and so stubble is a maximum of 24 hours.

The feel of these razors is strikingly similar with the Athena feeling more solid compared to the Eclipse which is to be expected given the huge difference in weight - although weight is not an issue when shaving with the Athena. The Eclipse has more blade exposure (also blade overhang to be aware of), but because of the clamping this doesn't lead to increased chatter. Blade clamping for the Athena is at a higher level given its design and CNC precision. Blade feel is on par and in both cases I had this sensation of feeling the blade without actually feeling the blade if that makes sense.

WTG touch test revealed no specific differences. XTG was more in favour of the Athena when touch testing again, but splitting hairs in terms of real differences. ATG is usually the area where the Athena shines and today was a shiny day so a very smooth finish. However, the Red Ring is similarly excellent in ATG. Again a slight nod to the Athena as I had to do an additional buffing in my problem area although I had already done some buffing during XTG with the Eclipse. After touch ups and rinsing I immediately felt the smoothness all over. A superb end result as far as I an concerned.

The overall verdict based on this one shave - so more might follow - is that the Eclipse Red Ring and Lambda Athena are very similar in shaving experience - both in actual experience as well as in aesthetics. Both are very well designed with the Athena obviously benefiting from today's technologies as well as artisan attention to details. The Eclipse however holds its own in modern times and paired with the Perma Sharp delivers a very close shave with excellent results.

Enjoy your shave!
Hi Guido. My Eclipse Red Ring just arrived. Not bad condition at all, I think. All the serial numbers are crisp so it might actually be original condition without replating. If so, it has no scratches or wear to the plating anywhere. From what I’ve seen these often sell in the US for between $200 and $300, so this doesn’t seem bad at all for the £80 I paid.

I’m happy to have it - I guess the genesis for the Athena design. Even though I do not normally buy dead men’s razors.

679ACF0E-0FCE-4295-B149-5D25506A1781.jpeg

D1688EE7-2D87-4873-8A10-09F8DB5F7F62.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good @Mr. Shavington! Mine is not replated and has a hint left of red ring until I polished it. I intend to take some red paint and redo that myself (one day).

Out of curiosity, does the cap have the sun ray pattern on it? Not that it matters - I thought there were two versions in circulation.

Very reasonable price!

Looking forward to your comparison!

Guido

Looking good @Mr. Shavington! Mine is not replated and has a hint left of red ring until I polished it. I intend to take some red paint and redo that myself (one day).

Out of curiosity, does the cap have the sun ray pattern on it? Not that it matters - I thought there were two versions in circulation.

Very reasonable price!

Looking forward to your comparison!

Guido
No, it’s the plain cap. There is still a little bit of red paint left in the ring, and where the paint has worn off the ring is matte, not coated, so it does appear all to be original. All the red paint is gone from the magnet on the base, but the magnet works. I haven’t seen many examples with a lot of red paint left in the ring or the magnet.

Not that I would mind a replated razor. I usually prefer vintage razors that are replated, since condition matters much more to me than any collectable value. It’s just that this one is so clean and unworn it really does look like a replate. I don’t think it is, though.

Edit: here’s a close-up pic of the bit of paint still on the ring (for @Cal too). It could also be dried blood, I suppose, and you never know how a vintage razor’s former owner died.

89ED6E8F-B2A1-42B1-9E80-CE48076F0696.jpeg

Last edited:
So here’s a thing. I’ve been reading up a bit on the Eclipse Red Ring and one of the points they marketed heavily was the ‘micrometer adjustment’ feature. There’s an arrow on the handle and lines on the TTO knob which allow you to fine-tune the razor’s mildness / aggression.

I think another way to describe this innovative feature is ‘loosening the handle a bit’, which works for every DE razor that curves the blade. A bit looser handle will reduce blade curvature and increase blade exposure. PAA misrepresents their dual open comb razor as an adjustable, based on the same pretend feature.

But if we set aside the marketing lies, loosening the handle a bit (TM) is a real thing and it works with nearly all DE razors. I used to do this regularly to good effect with my H&S P076, for example, to give a small boost to efficiency. I learned that a quarter turn was generally the maximum adjustment before a razor becomes harsh, but 1/8th or 1/6th of a turn has a meaningful effect without noticeably reducing comfort, and I tended to employ a 1/6th handle adjustment on my P076 every shave.

So it occurs to me that the Athena and Ares have very significant blade curvature - more than most DE razors - and I would expect loosening the handle a bit (TM) might be both interesting and in the spirit of the Athena’s Red Ring origins. I’m gonna give it a try but, since I want to shave with my new Red Ring first, I thought I’d post the idea here in case any of you want to test it out first yourselves and report back on your findings.

Speaking of polishing the Lamdba razors, here's the product which Theo pointed me to when I asked him for a recommendation in a private mail.

20231218_100548.jpg

I've tested this product on a cheeper Yaqi razor head (better safe than sorry ;) ) but it works great.

I did some cleaning of the Athena this morning... it's even bringter in reality.

20231218_111751.jpeg

Cheers!

Last edited:
Great job Guido @JAHE! I have used Brasso on my other razors. So far the Athena has only been buffed with a micro cloth to keep it shiny.

I saw the SS pictures from @walpan and noticed that Theo has also rounded the cap corners. I liked the look so I did the same to mine. Nice overall consistent look now!

Cheers and enjoy your beauties all!

Guido

Speaking of polishing the Lamdba razors, here's the product which Theo pointed me to when I asked him for a recommendation in a private mail.

View attachment 1765760

I've tested this product on a cheeper Yaqi razor head (better safe than sorry ;) ) but it works great.

I did some cleaning of the Athena this morning... it's even bringter in reality.

View attachment 1765763

Cheers!
Really great work! I have never polished my brass, bronze and copper razors. I like the patina :thumbup:
Even though I have never polished Athena and Ares they are still very shiny

Really great work! I have never polished my brass, bronze and copper razors. I like the patina :thumbup:
Even though I have never polished Athena and Ares they are still very shiny
Thanks.

In fact, it's been a really easy job. I took a micro fibre clough to "work the cream in", then I used a piece of an old cotton made tshirt to clean the metal. Took me perhaps 20 minutes, if at all.

I prefer my brass razors shiny... though patina on brass has something to it. 👍

lasta

Blade Biter

View attachment 1765760

View attachment 1765763

Cheers!
Looks like one hell of a polishing job!

I might need to give this Dursol a try. I've only used Autosol and feel that there is a limit to how shiny I can get a razor. I always thought it was because I can only get so much RPM with hand wiping. Maybe a better polish can help too!

Looks like one hell of a polishing job!

I might need to give this Dursol a try. I've only used Autosol and feel that there is a limit to how shiny I can get a razor. I always thought it was because I can only get so much RPM with hand wiping. Maybe a better polish can help too!
👍 I have the feeling Dursol provides a better end result in comparison to Flitz or Maas. It sells for a song over here (5 bucks and coins)... worth a try imo. Cheers!

Top Bottom