What's new

La Toja shaving stick reformulation

If there was an old version and a new version I didn't notice, apparently. I do like the current smell, if there is any difference.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
On the web I've just found this lovely pic that shows La Toja through its many reformulations. From the oldest on the left to the newest on the right. The packaging also changed with time (the best looking to me are the central sticks in red and grey with the original La Toja logo). Very cool, don't you think? :001_cool:

370bd751799c6a4236f9c562231f031203c3b660_2_1380x498.jpeg

Seems like every one of these "Oh no, they reformulated it!" threads catches my attention these days. I recently added to my store of La Toja before finding this thread only to learn that I got the "new" table salt formula so I decided to give it a try and compare it to the remaining earlier version I still have. The scent off the stick is definitely different. More bite and spice to my nose. I bowl lather all my soaps so I grated some into the bowl. The lather is incredible. Thick and slick. I run some water over my face with my hand after each pass and it was lathering up enough to shave with. And the scent mellows quite a bit so no big deal. All in all, very satisfactory.

Come on gents, La Toja hasn’t been ruined as some people are already spreading around this forum. Please manage your anxiety and stop the fake news

La Toja has been reformulated multiple times over the past years. If you follow the Spanish forum, there was a change just a few years ago and many people there didn’t like it, but no one here noticed, because it’s still awesome. Also, La Toja contained tallow up until not so long ago. Here’s a reference to a reformulation no one here cared to notice:

This new version will perform nearly the same with potentially a slightly different scent.

L’Occitane Cade has been ruined, Trumper’s has been ruined, La Toja will be just fine
That last line hits it in the bullseye. Cade has been ruined. Is there a soap that is more difficult to lather than Eucris?

I “think” my stash of La Toja is all the new formulation, but if it is “bad” then I guess I’m glad I never got to try the old version. I love La Toja and think it is a top tier soap that I will always have in rotation.

I “think” my stash of La Toja is all the new formulation, but if it is “bad” then I guess I’m glad I never got to try the old version. I love La Toja and think it is a top tier soap that I will always have in rotation.
I decided enough was enough with all of the strong scented artisan soaps and their prices, but I wanted a soap that was cheaper, smelled clean, and had top performance. I kept Mitchell's Wool Fat and La Toja. I got rid of most of the rest of them and don't buy them any longer. Only MWF and LT for me, now.

I decided enough was enough with all of the strong scented artisan soaps and their prices, but I wanted a soap that was cheaper, smelled clean, and had top performance. I kept Mitchell's Wool Fat and La Toja. I got rid of most of the rest of them and don't buy them any longer. Only MWF and LT for me, now.

Nice!

I'm in the same boat as my skin was reacting to 8 out of 10 artisan soaps.

I've kept around 10 scented soaps that suit my skin but mostly I now use my own unscented homemade soap, which is tailored to my preferences.

Hard to beat the original La Toja stick. For a long time it was one of the best deals out there. I remember seeing the sticks here in the US for like $2 each at one time. I'm not too interested in trying the new version to be honest.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
In all honesty, I'm very curious about the new version and cannot wait to put my hands on the latest sticks. Hopefully, they'll be mine in a couple of months when going again to Spain.

Well, it is only $3 and a little change, now. It works fantastically, too. I use a straight razor and it really tests soaps. Many that I thought were great when using other razor types proved not to be so great with a straight razor. La Toja is a great soap.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Used the new formula today and it’s some of the best performing soap I have tried , no issues whatsoever , scent is great , very happy and I’ll stock up to be honest as it’s one of my favorites.
Sir, I want to trust your enthusiastic post here. While in Spain at the end of June I'm going to stock up heavily on the newest sticks, without having tested them before. Fingers crossed on my blind buy!

P.S. In Spain La Toja is dirt cheap (just like Proraso here in Italy), so I'm not risking all that much!

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
On a side note, does anyone here know if the shaving creams have recently been reformulated too? The La Toja Classic (red metal tube) is a fantastic cream for sure.

Top Bottom