What's new

Knife honing free hand. Why bother?

When I was a kid there was an Italian fellow that periodically came through our neighborhood with a treadle wheel mounted on a wheelbarrow like cart yelling 'knives, scissors..........' My mother was a seamstress and would have him sharpen her scissors and a knife or two. I remember one summer thinking that it was about time for him to come again as I had not seen him for a couple of years. In my youth I did not realize that times had changed and I would never see him again.

I remember as well a gentleman in a step van with open side. Used to come around. He had a rope attached to a series of bells that sounded like the ice cream truck. Have not seen him for many years.

Here is one of my more commonly used knives in the kitchen - I have three of these that are pretty much identically ground and sharpened. Just rechecked and these are about .010" behind the bevel. The larger knives I get closer to .020 - .025" behind the bevel. These ones are about 5" blade length.
20181231_131943.jpg

Those are pretty old BTW, IIRC they were branded Chicago Cutlery or something like that. They started at more like .060" or so behind the bevel. They hold a decent edge so I haven't been inspired to replace them. They darn near fall through potatoes.

I also advocate for thinning out the blade behind the bevel. I usually shoot for about .010" - .015" right behind the bevel. Sometimes I settle for .025".
Just did this to a couple knives. A friends Spyderco Para 2 s110v and my go to kitchen cleaver. Both are flat grinds.

How do you like the resultant improvement in cutting prowess? :001_302:
Much improved slicing. The time that it took to sharpen the new tiny bevel is reduced an order of magnitude.

Both of these knives were flat ground at a 5.5 degree inclusive primary bevel.

proxy.php

I just re ground one of my hollow ground pocket knives also. It went very well.

Hmmm. Apparently the picture is not in the correct format. If you PM me your email I could forward the Spyderco picture to you. My friend took the picture after honing the blade so I no longer have it in my possession.

Yeah guided sharpeners are cool and all, but they aren't really going to be useful for thinning out an entire knife blade. You need a volume tool for that - like a belt grinder - or you're going to be there for a very long time. Once you have small bevels, free hand sharpening takes very little time.

Top Bottom