What's new

Keto

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I don't mind paying good money for Wild Alaskan Sockeye. It's the best salmon that I've eaten.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
A couple months ago our local supermarket had vacuum packed whole sides of WAS at a good price. I bought four, tried one and went back and bought another six. Avg price was about $12 per (avg weight right around a Lb. ea.) and one filet is good for two meals (for the two of us). Averages out to about $3 per serving. Bargain.

Bought some BC (British Columbia) halibut last week it was $23cdn and change for just under one lb., fed three. When there last i bought Norway halibut (too early in the season for BC?) and it was $28 per lb., i'd never pay that kind of money for land meat and i'm not quite sure why i'll spring for fish in that price bracket.

Three dollars per serving is a bargain!
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Halibut is about $23/lb around here, usually. A couple weeks ago I was at Central Mkt and they had it on sale for $19/lb. I grabbed one steak that came out to around $7-$8. Not bad. They also had nice U10 sea scallops on sale, I picked up 3 which was under $5. That's two meals at an avg price of about $6 per, for super high quality and tasty protein.

Yesterday I found a pack of Filet Mignon steaks, over a lb of meat, marked 50% off. $10 for three 4oz steaks. They're drying in the fridge as I type this.

If you can "shop right" (as my mom says) you can save a lot.

Last edited:
Nice deal on the tenderloins, my butcher hovers around $30cdn per pound, i don't buy. Pork is where the bargains are, relatively, i just don't appreciate it as much as beef or chicken.
dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan
St Louis style ribs and bacon are my favorite types of pork. I'll do a roast on the rare occasion. Chicken, fish and beef reign in our household.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bought some BC (British Columbia) halibut last week it was $23cdn and change for just under one lb., fed three. When there last i bought Norway halibut (too early in the season for BC?) and it was $28 per lb., i'd never pay that kind of money for land meat and i'm not quite sure why i'll spring for fish in that price bracket.

Three dollars per serving is a bargain!
dave
Was it good enough for Jehovah?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Oh no!!! One minute too long under the broiler. Well, sometimes things just don't turn out. It may look a little over toasted but the flavor was amazing.

Zucchini Lasagna with ricotta, Parmesan and my favorite spaghetti sauce made with ground beef. Burnt mozzarella on top and tomatoes from the garden.

Lasagna.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Oh no!!! One minute too long under the broiler. Well, sometimes things just don't turn out. It may look a little over toasted but the flavor was amazing.

Zucchini Lasagna with ricotta, Parmesan and my favorite spaghetti sauce made with ground beef. Burnt mozzarella on top and tomatoes from the garden.

View attachment 982931
Sounds good. Do you use a mandolin to cut the zucchini uniformly?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Sounds good. Do you use a mandolin to cut the zucchini uniformly?
I used my 5 dollar mandolin and it cut them too thin. So next time I'll cut them thicker with my chef's knife. Plus I placed the cut zucchini in the oven for 20, flipped then another 10 to dry them out.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I used my 5 dollar mandolin and it cut them too thin. So next time I'll cut them thicker with my chef's knife. Plus I placed the cut zucchini in the oven for 20, flipped then another 10 to dry them out.
Thanks for that advice. I was wondering if it would be too soggy. Did they dry up a bit?

Top Bottom