What's new

Karve Overlander

Does anyone here have both the Overlander and the RR Lupo 72? If so, do they shave the same or close to the same?
I had a Lupo 72 and 95, but it's been a while since I sold them. The Overlander will provide results close to the Lupo 72 and 95. I found the Lupo in both flavors, provided about the same results, but I found the 95 more comfortable for some reason. The Overlander may be a touch smoother with similar efficiency IMHO.

Many thanks to @OhioBob, @sknz, and @gdawg55 for posting photos of their plated Overlanders and being such great enablers!! :lol1: :thumbsup:

Also, thanks to Bob for going furthers and having some great communication with me regarding plating and the affect, if any, on the razor's performance.

My Overlander is on its way back from its spa time with Chris at Back Roads Gold! These are the photos Chris shared with me.
View attachment 1439196
View attachment 1439197
View attachment 1439198

Should be in hand soon!
I predict you're gonna love it and that it will shave exactly as it did before! 👍

The Overlander is definitely smoother than all Lupos. It's also just as efficient if not more than the .72.
+1 on this 👆

The Lupo .72 was my last stop before Karve-land, which is where I should have just jumped to and skipped the Razorocks.
I sold the Lupo on a while back. It gave me generally good shaves, but, as many have said elsewhere there’s quite a bit of blade feel. I moved up to a Christopher Bradley Aluminum and it was more efficient and more comfortable.

Now with the Overlander, I’d say it sits between the Lupo and CB (D Plate for ref) for efficiency, but is more comfortable and smooth shaving than either.
I’m really starting to appreciate how forgiving a razor it is too. I love it!

Back from Back Roads Gold, in its polished nickel plating!
4_16 Overlander nickel.jpg

4_16 Ni Overlander in hand.jpg

4_16 Ni Overlander under.jpg

I saw it was due in today, so I put off shaving until it arrived.
4_16 sotd.jpg

How was it? Glad you asked! It was fantastic. I can only the slightest difference, and that is the "vacuum/drag" effect has been reduced. But otherwise, it is still the Overlander I love. I could not be happier!

View attachment 1440861
View attachment 1440863
View attachment 1440864

View attachment 1440867

How was it? Glad you asked! It was fantastic. I can only the slightest difference, and that is the "vacuum/drag" effect has been reduced. But otherwise, it is still the Overlander I love. I could not be happier!
Looks awesome. Mine with the copper plating arrived today, but it’s still in the box as I had to run some errands. Can’t wait to see it when I get home.

View attachment 1440861
View attachment 1440863
View attachment 1440864

View attachment 1440867

Wow! Beautiful razor. I've thought about doing the same, buying an Overlander and sending it out for nickel plating because the brass or copper is just not for me. Maybe one day.

Used my copper beauty this morning. What a great shave....nice and smooth. I couldn't tell much difference with the new plating except maybe a bit more glide with the polished surface. Shave is still top notch. The razor has already gotten a bit darker since I took it out of the package on Saturday. I put it on my bathroom counter until this morning (Monday) and I can tell is a little darker than when I got it. I love patina on copper so I can't wait to see how it looks a few months from now.

tempImageLCFVEO.jpg
tempImageB2REEQ.jpg

I received my Overlander yesterday and paired with a second use Nacet. Wow, what a great session even though it was rushed. I’m already in love with this razor as I can understand what efficiency really means. I thought the 100, micro pass buffing was normal lol. Not with this razor, it mowed down 2 days of growth and crushed my jawline with ease. I will add there were a few vacuums drags due to lack of lather and yes, absolutely I can smell the brass. This didn’t bother as my soap took the olfactory stage. I was smiling so much while shaving, I kept tasting the soap.
Weinstrasse ain’t bad but nothing beats Margatitas in the Arctic for flavor. 😳

I would really like to try this razor, but after several reports of the brass/finishing feeling draggy, I'm waiting for an SS, hopefully polished.

Has anyone here used the AL Overlander? Or even better: tried both the brass and AL versions?

I would really like to try this razor, but after several reports of the brass/finishing feeling draggy, I'm waiting for an SS, hopefully polished.

Has anyone here used the AL Overlander? Or even better: tried both the brass and AL versions?
Please know I was just helping the few drag experiencers get validation. My drag was minimal on my chin and half the pass had no lather. I’m used to my 109 where I do many many repeat passes without lather. That razor glides great but is not efficient at all. Tonight I will spend more time on creating a stellar lather and report back. As far as the weight, it’s amazing.

Not sure it’s a vacuum drag issue. I put it down to the shave angle and amount of plate and top cap edge against the face vs , for example, the Christopher Bradley, which has a steeper shave angle and more of the smooth top cap surface area against the skin. The Overlander is a hefty razor, in the brass at least, so razor weight + any user added pressure on a smaller contact area means you’re gonna feel it more than if it was spread out on a larger contact area. Try running the edge of your fingernail down the inside of your arm. Now roll the finger up a bit and try again with less edge and more of the top of the nail against the skin but the same amount of pressure.
That’s my take on it at least. And the shave angle here is what people asked for.

I also suspect the brass smell isn’t so much the brass, but the patina/tarnish…or perhaps given off by the chemical reaction. Just think of those dirt brown old pennys we used to roll up…the stink would end up on your hand.

Used my copper beauty this morning. What a great shave....nice and smooth. I couldn't tell much difference with the new plating except maybe a bit more glide with the polished surface. Shave is still top notch. The razor has already gotten a bit darker since I took it out of the package on Saturday. I put it on my bathroom counter until this morning (Monday) and I can tell is a little darker than when I got it. I love patina on copper so I can't wait to see how it looks a few months from now.

View attachment 1441982 View attachment 1441983
Looks GREAT in that Captains Choice bowl! :thumbup:

I've been away for quite a few months from B&B but this razor piqued my interest. I just got one and a few things I noticed - the handle is quite a bit thinner than I was expecting. Also, the matte finish does not due this razor justice. The pics posted in polished gold plated/nickel plated really make this razor POP. I thought I hated the design of the handle and now after seeing those pics, I love it! Still trying to figure out if its a bit heavy but design wise its beautiful.

Top Bottom