What's new

Karve Overlander

Many, many thanks to @OhioBob and the other enablers here who directed my attention to Back Roads Gold. After some emails with Chris Spencer, the owner, I am excited to report that my Overlander is heading to Chris's shop to get plated in nickel. This photo was one shared with me.
View attachment 1434398

I can hardly wait. I hope to get to the Post Office this afternoon and start the countdown clock!
WOW - that is awesome! May I ask how you decided on nickel vs. one of the other white metals? I think on his site it said rhodium was harder. I guess I am worried about scratches. My chrome plated (which is supposed to be harder than nickel) Merkur is a bit rough from them - but then again, I never babied that razor like I do all my other razors. I'm mostly worried about durability of finish and how it will look in the long term. Thanks!

Reactions: cf1
WOW - that is awesome! May I ask how you decided on nickel vs. one of the other white metals? I think on his site it said rhodium was harder. I guess I am worried about scratches. My chrome plated (which is supposed to be harder than nickel) Merkur is a bit rough from them - but then again, I never babied that razor like I do all my other razors. I'm mostly worried about durability of finish and how it will look in the long term. Thanks!
I went with mirror nickel because, get this, I assumed rhodium would cost more! But I know that the price is the same. I liked the nickel in the photos and just went with it, not really putting much thought into it. Like you, I take care of my razors but I don't baby them. They are tools, and I like them looking nice, but I don't worry about a scuff or scratch. yet. :eek2:

For me the plating element/compound is not that critical. All will be great. Before plating of course a high polish is required which eliminates the matte finish. Chris details the hardness of the various plating material options and the 24K gold I chose is the softest so I assume least durable but no worries here as this will last longer than I will need the razor. Get the color/plating that suits you best and you will love your upgraded razor. I know I do! :thumbup:

I have been playing around with the razor more and more and one thing I tried today is that I skipped the XTG pass. I did WTG, ATG, then ATG cleanup. Seems pretty interesting. I am not getting perfect BBS shaves yet but this is the most comfortable ATG razor I have used to date. At least that is my preliminary findings.

I have been playing around with the razor more and more and one thing I tried today is that I skipped the XTG pass. I did WTG, ATG, then ATG cleanup. Seems pretty interesting. I am not getting perfect BBS shaves yet but this is the most comfortable ATG razor I have used to date. At least that is my preliminary findings.
I agree. It’s a dream on neck passes.
I shaved with the Overlander for 5-6 weeks straight after it arrived. Now that I’m mixing in runs with my other razors, I go to the neck with those and it’s like :117:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I had a Lupo 72 and 95, but it's been a while since I sold them. The Overlander will provide results close to the Lupo 72 and 95. I found the Lupo in both flavors, provided about the same results, but I found the 95 more comfortable for some reason. The Overlander may be a touch smoother with similar efficiency IMHO.

Interesting. Thanks.

Received mine this afternoon right before I left for work. Had my daily shave on hold, hoping the razor would arrive in time but alas... guess I'll try it tomorrow for the first shave on about 2 days growth. Threads are buttery-karve smooth, finish is great and blade clamping looks impressive. I'm hoping it works well with a steepish angle similar to my Lupo and Wolfman.

20220511_161414.jpg

20220511_161652.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Received mine this afternoon right before I left for work. Had my daily shave on hold, hoping the razor would arrive in time but alas... guess I'll try it tomorrow for the first shave on about 2 days growth. Threads are buttery-karve smooth, finish is great and blade clamping looks impressive. I'm hoping it works well with a steepish angle similar to my Lupo and Wolfman.

View attachment 1454309

View attachment 1454313
Looks like it is Chester(cat) approved!

First shave with the Overlander vs 2 day stubble. I paired it with a 3" Karve brass Gladius handle and a fresh 7 O'clock Yellow SharpEdge.

The razor is a smooth performer and I prefer the angle more than my Karve CB. Unfortunately, Mrs. Sweeney decided to run the washer in the bathroom precisely at this time so I was basically shaving deaf... no sense of audible feedback at all. A real shame on a 48+ hr shave.

I love the razor with one caveat: the shave itself is smooth with little blade feel but I detect a strange drag/friction, perhaps from the finish on the brass? Enough so that I began polishing the top cap and guard immediately after the shave and plan to see if it makes a difference tomorrow afternoon. In fact, after seeing all these beauties plated in nickel, gold and copper, I may end up sending it out to Chris for something shiny and slick.

A bit on the milder side for my taste, reminds me a bit of my Gamechanger 84 but there is no denying my face/skin feels wonderful now 4 hrs after shaving. Besides, I want at least one or two mild/medium efficient razors in the stable and I was aware of that characteristic when I made the purchase. Overall imo, the Overlander is a very nice offering from Karve Razors.

cheers

I'm not usually a fan of GSBs but in my quest to find the perfect blade for the Overlander I thought I would give it a shot. Wow. I usually never go ATG on my neck but I may have to try it with this combo - all of the black speckle neck DFS doesn't go well with this face BBS!!! Coming from someone who gets BBS w/no irritation once a month by pure luck, this razor gives it to so much more consistently.

One caveat - beard mapping is so important to this razor (at least for me). If I don't hit ATG almost dead on, its not BBS. Swirlies can sometimes be a bit tricky. Got to hit them from all the angles.

I'm not usually a fan of GSBs but in my quest to find the perfect blade for the Overlander I thought I would give it a shot. Wow. I usually never go ATG on my neck but I may have to try it with this combo - all of the black speckle neck DFS doesn't go well with this face BBS!!! Coming from someone who gets BBS w/no irritation once a month by pure luck, this razor gives it to so much more consistently.

One caveat - beard mapping is so important to this razor (at least for me). If I don't hit ATG almost dead on, its not BBS. Swirlies can sometimes be a bit tricky. Got to hit them from all the angles.
12 Hour mark check in - I think I'm getting some irritation....from rubbing my face with my hands so much!!!🤪

Top Bottom