What's new

Just used a Gem Junior to shave... help!

I received my brass-handled Junior yesterday, cleaned it up, and shaved this morning with it, using a Personna blade from Walgreens.

After doing my customary 2.5 passes, I think all my facial hair is gone! It's like it was magically removed by the Junior. I can't feel any stubble.

Does this mean I don't need to shave again? What am I going to do with all these soaps and creams? Where will I post?

HELP! :blink:

Seriously, got a BBS using this little guy. I'm impressed. :thumbup1: And I think my 1912 arrived today.

I received my brass-handled Junior yesterday, cleaned it up, and shaved this morning with it, using a Personna blade from Walgreens.

After doing my customary 2.5 passes, I think all my facial hair is gone! It's like it was magically removed by the Junior. I can't feel any stubble.

Does this mean I don't need to shave again? What am I going to do with all these soaps and creams? Where will I post?

HELP! :blink:

Seriously, got a BBS using this little guy. I'm impressed. :thumbup1: And I think my 1912 arrived today.

1912 and 1914 are my favorites :thumbup1:

Just got the 1912.

If you told me someone bought it, took it out of the package, and stuck it in a drawer for 80 years, I'd believe you.

The photos do not do this razor justice. It is beautiful. This is as it arrived, no cleaning or anything.

Turns out the seller is a member and contributor to B&B :thumbup1: Always nice supporting one of our own.

P

Pjotr

........Turns out the seller is a member and contributor to B&B............

Getting the feeling that that is the case with nearly all e-bay wet shaving sales. E-bay's just an alternative "in the wild" version of B/S/T.

The photos do not do this razor justice. It is beautiful. This is as it arrived, no cleaning or anything.

Turns out the seller is a member and contributor to B&B :thumbup1: Always nice supporting one of our own.

Good morning and you are welcome but no, you need more even MORE soaps, creams, aftershaves, brushes and razor stands. But remember, you are going to save a lot of money over those cartridges...

Good morning and you are welcome but no, you need more even MORE soaps, creams, aftershaves, brushes and razor stands. But remember, you are going to save a lot of money over those cartridges...

THAT is the guilty party! :thumbup1:

Used the 1912 this morning. Seemed to be mostly the same as my Junior - same head at least - with the main differences being the plating and slightly longer handle on the Junior. So I'm assuming this was the "1912" version of the Junior.

Excellent shave - BBS. I think I'm on day 5 with this blade. No special treatment like drying the blade, dipping it in alcohol, etc. Irritation is nil.

"Used the 1912 this morning. Seemed to be mostly the same as my Junior - same head at least - with the main differences being the plating and slightly longer handle on the Junior. So I'm assuming this was the "1912" version of the Junior."

There are many variations on the 1912 model.

DD

Used the 1912 this morning. Seemed to be mostly the same as my Junior - same head at least - with the main differences being the plating and slightly longer handle on the Junior. So I'm assuming this was the "1912" version of the Junior.

Excellent shave - BBS. I think I'm on day 5 with this blade. No special treatment like drying the blade, dipping it in alcohol, etc. Irritation is nil.

The junior is one the versions of the 1912 :thumbup1:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The 1912, in all of it's various configurations, is the best razor ever built.

Agreed. I also Just shaved yesterday with a GEM Jr. in mint condition that I picked up at an antique store for 4 bucks. The smaller handle made it even more controllable then my 1912 chain link.

Only needed two passes, one down and one up for somewhere between DFS & BBS. It was like driving a fine tuned sportscar! :thumbup1:

They had a micromatic I think I will have to go back and get.

For all intents and purposes the "Junior" means nothing. The only real physical difference some have noticed is with the tab that you open the cover plate with, and even that isn't always the case. The 1912 in your picture is a travel model that had the slightly shorter handle. Some of the short handle travel models also have smaller heads.

They come with several different handles, including a fat, black bakelite handle that is known as the Baton model, and also one with a slim black handle. Some of those have "Junior" on them, some don't.

The Damaskeene is the early model that advertised using only Damaskeene blades stamped on the inside. They have a round, knurled handle and most have a slightly curved cover plate. I, and several other, believe the Damaskeene is the best of the best.

Don't forget about the Star and Ever-Ready branded 1912's, there still plentiful and are exactly the same as the Gem stamped 1912's.

Here's a photo to illustrate what I mean when I say the "Junior" doesn't mean anything important.
The first one on the left is stamped "Junior", the next one isn't. The one farthest to the right has a short handle and it doesn't say "Junior", so the "Junior" has nothing to do with the size of the handle.

Note the similarity of the Star and Ever-Ready versions to the Gems.

proxy.php

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
For all intents and purposes the "Junior" means nothing. The only real physical difference some have noticed is with the tab that you open the cover plate with, and even that isn't always the case. The 1912 in your picture is a travel model that had the slightly shorter handle. Some of the short handle travel models also have smaller heads.

They come with several different handles, including a fat, black bakelite handle that is known as the Baton model, and also one with a slim black handle. Some of those have "Junior" on them, some don't.

The Damaskeene is the early model that advertised using only Damaskeene blades stamped on the inside. They have a round, knurled handle and most have a slightly curved cover plate. I, and several other, believe the Damaskeene is the best of the best.

Don't forget about the Star and Ever-Ready branded 1912's, there still plentiful and are exactly the same as the Gem stamped 1912's.

Does the Damskeene only take certain blades? Or will it take the GEM's?

Top Bottom