What's new

July 2020 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Sorry for the delay, gents. I went camping for four days and then had a lot to deal with when I returned home.

It looks like we're a small group this month, and getting smaller! We've had three people fall out, which means it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal
2) Flintstone65 - out (7/6: SE razors)
3) @Timeclo
4) @RTM
5) @Sotiris_A
6) pbrmhl - out (7/6: Aftershave)
7) @Owen Bawn
8) @Schnitzel52
9) @bjm
10) @Stuart Ganis
11) @Malort
12) StratMan - out (7/13: Soap and aftershave)
13) @Chef455

If you're one of the gents who succumbed to the call of the wild, feel free to play along at home and we'll hope to see you next month.
I'm still in.

Still in. I test lathered a WK vegan soap with my Angel hair knot. Nice face lathering/wash session.

There are some tempting crawlies lurking around but I should be good. In fact, I sold a lot so I'm negative this month!

No shave today, as I was running late, but I've been going back to an old favorite - my Old Type on a Tech Ball-End handle. I'm loading the vintage Yardley more heavily and using a lighter touch, which has given me some really nice shaves. This will continue. :)

I skipped shave yesterday because being dead tired is not going well with handling sharp objects. Today I compensated. And it was bliss.

giphy.gif

Hello friends,
I haven't joined the July GRUME because I've started learning to make my own shaving soap. It is a new endeavor.

Does buying supplies for this type of thing count against a GRUME? Or is it just buying already made software and hardware?

Hello friends,
I haven't joined the July GRUME because I've started learning to make my own shaving soap. It is a new endeavor.

Does buying supplies for this type of thing count against a GRUME? Or is it just buying already made software and hardware?
Huh - you guys always come up with the most interesting challenges to the spirit of the rules... :)

Here's what I think:
  • If this is a business venture, and you use the product only to test its fitness for sale, you're fine
  • If you are about to run out of soap and you're buying supplies to make your own so that you'll have enough, you're fine
  • If you have soaps - and you're not going to give them away and rely solely on your own soap - and you're making soap because it's fun and you'll have more soap, you're out for the month in which you purchased the soap-making supplies
Others are free to express their opinions, of course. And keep in mind that you, the gentleman, are responsible for honestly evaluating your actions and intent with respect to the spirit of the GRUME. I offer the thoughts above to help you guide yourself through the process.

Good luck with your new hobby/endeavor!

Huh - you guys always come up with the most interesting challenges to the spirit of the rules... :)

Here's what I think:
  • If this is a business venture, and you use the product only to test its fitness for sale, you're fine
  • If you are about to run out of soap and you're buying supplies to make your own so that you'll have enough, you're fine
  • If you have soaps - and you're not going to give them away and rely solely on your own soap - and you're making soap because it's fun and you'll have more soap, you're out for the month in which you purchased the soap-making supplies
Others are free to express their opinions, of course. And keep in mind that you, the gentleman, are responsible for honestly evaluating your actions and intent with respect to the spirit of the GRUME. I offer the thoughts above to help you guide yourself through the process.

I think that sounds fair. Currently, everything is in testing stages and planning to do some limited releases. Although, I think I need to get insurance to sell, etc. So all of that is planning stages and I'm not sure it will get to market or not. Part of each batch is given away for testing. I'm not an artisan by any stretch. :)

Here's what I think:

It sounds fair. This case seems similar to the gentleman that was buying old straight razors for restoration last year.

@chillybase best of luck in your endeavor! Have fun! :)

Still in. SOTD - 17 JUL 2020

SOTD 07172020.jpg

TurnNShave brush w/ Mix Boadger knot
Stirling Barbershop
CJB kami shavette
Schick Proline (1)
Zingari Man splash

Pretty good shave. The first use of the proline blade was mad smooth but it was very sharp as well. I had 5-6 small nicks at the end but no real irritation. I enjoyed it but I might prefer the Feather Pros a little more? I'll have to do more extended use on both blades to figure out.

Still going strong with the GRUME. Let's keep it up!

Still in. SOTD - 18 JUL 2020

SOTD 07182020.jpg

Craving Shaving "Dragon Fire" brush
Stirling Barbershop
CJB kami shavette
Schick Proline blade (2)
Zingari Man splash

Rough shave. Blade is not working with my skin and it's cutting too close. Planning to experiment more with it.

No real temptations. I see a lot of beautiful brushes but not going for any.

Top Bottom