What's new

John Henry 3D printed Polymer Plastic DE razor

Okay so this is one of those razors that has piqued my interest as of late, the 3D printed John Henry adjustable safety razor 1706. The design is really neat looking and the assembly is DIY and you have to go to your local Home Depot or Lowes to get a few screws washers and nuts to put this razor together. It's only $21 so I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on it. I've watched a few videos on YouTube of people assembling them. I just want to get some feed back on how efficient they are before I buy one. For $21 if it works as nice as it looks I'm a buyer. I have nothing against plastic DE razors as long as they can perform up to my standards. What do you guys think about plastic razors and this razor in particular? Do you like the design or not? And if so what do or don't you like about it?

Attachments

• IMG_0743.JPG
    IMG_0743.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0744.PNG
    IMG_0744.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_0745.JPG
    IMG_0745.JPG
    111.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0746.JPG
    IMG_0746.JPG
    173.7 KB · Views: 124
... What do you guys think about plastic razors and this razor in particular? Do you like the design or not? And if so what do or don't you like about it?
I like Bakelite razors very much, but have never experienced any other type of plastic razor. Personally speaking I think that razor looks AWFUL, but each to his own. :wink2:

I really love my Phoenix Bakelite which is a mere $20, and of course you can use it straight out of the box:
upload_2017-6-17_5-1-34.png

Here's an assembly video of this razor. Brass or stainless hardware would probably be appropriate for this razor.

The same designer has designed other DE's, amongst which three slants. These slants I own, and they shave great. My only problem is that assembly when placing the blade is a bit cumbersome. This John Henry seems to have tackled that problem somewhat.
As far as ugly: yep. Otoh, it is nice to see the inner workings of an adjustable razor in action.

I was tempted and almost bought one, but found out there are no decent hardware stores in the area where I could get the nuts, bolts and washers of the required dimensions. Haven't found them all on Amazon either, though Amazon's search engine isn't very good, I might try again later.

While the production process of plastics is hardly emviromentally friendly, if I recall correctly, neither are metal works.

The types of plastic used for razors are decently durable (except for using bakelite for slants in my limited experience) unless you smash them against something. Plus, no need to worry about corrosion. Then again, even SS and brass can get bent when dropped. Plastic razors can last a couple of lifetimes if cared for.

I have a cheap 'click' Rimei, similar Gillette 7 O'clock, Dorco PL602, Alfa, Wardonia, Philite, Saiver 2.0 and have recently re-acquired a Wilkinson Sword Classic (WSC) to give it a second chance.
I have modded the 'click' razord, glueing a plastic M5 washer to the middle of the base plate to improv rigidity and while they were OK before that, they really good with the mod now.
I require either two shims in the WSC or quarter turn of the handle to make it reasonably eficient for me.
The Dorco is great in that you can turn the handle about a full turn without losing blade rigidity while increasing efficiency remarkably and the blade is still secure in there.
I also have a PAA bakelite slant, but the top cap posts have eroded (steel blades... who'd have thought they could erode a softer material :p ), so not that useful anymore. Shame, because it was a very nice shaver before that happened.

The Alfa is one of my best shavers out if the box. Great design. Same with the Saiver.

I have modded but not yet shaved with the Wardonia. Need to fix that soon.

That was my long-winded way of saying that I like plastic razors. ;-)

Intriguing, as a novelty. But, hard to justify as a razor when you can by a user grade Slim at or around the same price. I think if the handle was shorter and the hardware was included I would be much more temped to get one.

To me razors are a tool, I don't care what they look like, if it shaves well then I say go for it. Plus it looks like a fun little project.

Regarding the comments about it being plastic thus environmentally irresponsible I would say they are misguided. I own and operate a commercial plating business. Anyone that thinks a chrome plated pot metal razor is somehow less damaging to the environment than plastic is, to put it politely, misinformed.

With this particular razor, I think if one could glue the M5 screw that goes through the top cap to the top cap itself, it would be much like any other adjustable. I quite like how the design is different from the previous ones in that it seems much easier to secure the top cap screw, too.

I own and operate a commercial plating business. Anyone that thinks a chrome plated pot metal razor is somehow less damaging to the environment than plastic is, to put it politely, misinformed.

I worked for a company that did plating and anodizing when I was in high school. Every pair shoes and every article of clothing worn to that job ended up with holes being eaten in them in no time. Very caustic environment indeed.

As for the plastic problems, blame the petroleum companies for shoving them down our throats. Plant based plastics came years before petroleum based, and plant based are completely biodegradable.

Well the price is just to good to pass up. I'm gonna grab one and I'll post my results here in this thread after a week of exclusive use. I'm gonna hit Home Depot today to grab the miscellaneous parts so I have them on hand when the razor arrives. I think it looks awesome tbh plus it comes in an array of different colors. I think the grip looks really comfortable and the design is really futuristic. Gimme a few weeks and I'll get back with results on her.

Well the price is just to good to pass up. I'm gonna grab one and I'll post my results here in this thread after a week of exclusive use. I'm gonna hit Home Depot today to grab the miscellaneous parts so I have them on hand when the razor arrives. I think it looks awesome tbh plus it comes in an array of different colors. I think the grip looks really comfortable and the design is really futuristic. Gimme a few weeks and I'll get back with results on her.

Awesome. Thanks in advance. :-D

I think they claim the grey plastic should be a bit more durable, but it's also more expensive, and it's difficult to tell how much better the grey one is, if at all, without a direct comparison.

Top Bottom