What's new

JNat - Okudo Suita

The reason I asked is because I have a suita (non-Su) coming that has been described as one of the hardest and finest stones the vendor has seen. And I'm a little concerned because I want at least a modicum of slurry, not just a water hone....we'll see.
just use your mejiro/koma and finish with water you will be fine.

OK, Due to the insistance of people, I will not cut the corner off just yet. I will see if a DMT extra fine will do the job first.

SO far, the slurry generated with the XF was milky gray to begin. After working a Japanese razor, the slurry seemed to turn dark olive green. Closer inspection makes it look black, but the yellow of the stones plays tricks. I did a lot of laps, the razor was previously honed, but it wasn't perfect yet.

So far, I got the edge to be about 15K under the scope with the slurry breakdown. Nice matte finish with a clean straight edge, but shave tests show it is not anywhere near shave ready yet at the moment. I want to go back and reset the bevels on synthetic to see if I can get better results.

OK -

So I tried the DMT coarse plate to generate a slurry, and spent some time with that until a matte finish formed. I swear this edge was shave ready, but it still felt awful when I tried to shave hair...

So I hit the razor on the DMT fine plate and then I noticed it.... there is a completely different bevel that was there, and I had spend a whole lot of time polishing the metal behind it! :oops: The edge bevel had looked so shiny from the start that I never bothered to check it, since it never deteriorated, and the "flat" side was just as shiny....

So basically, I was essentially trying to shave with a burr :frown2:

So now I need to start over... :tongue_sm

OK -

So I tried the DMT coarse plate to generate a slurry, and spent some time with that until a matte finish formed. I swear this edge was shave ready, but it still felt awful when I tried to shave hair...

So I hit the razor on the DMT fine plate and then I noticed it.... there is a completely different bevel that was there, and I had spend a whole lot of time polishing the metal behind it! :oops: The edge bevel had looked so shiny from the start that I never bothered to check it, since it never deteriorated, and the "flat" side was just as shiny....

So basically, I was essentially trying to shave with a burr :frown2:

So now I need to start over... :tongue_sm

You aren't the first. Be glad you didn't scrape up your strop. I've done that before.

proxy.php

is your friend

Top Bottom