What's new

January 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

#14 in 2024 GRUYERE shave sebaticle

#16 GRUME January 2024

Date: 01.28.24

Days growth: 4

Head and face shave

Razor: Shave Nation Chubby

Blade: Astra Superior Platinum (4)

Brush: Parker synthetic

Pre-shave: Hot shower using Johnson and Johnson on face and head with facial scrubber

Lather: Gillette Pure 0% Shave cream bowl lathered

Passes: 1

Post Shave Routine and products:

1 - Hot rinse with microfiber towel X2

2 - Cold rinse

3 - Alum block

4 - Cold rinse with microfiber towel X1

5 - Aftershave: Nivea Deep Bourbon and Vanilla

6 - Balm: Proraso blue

Notes: This was a 1 pass socially acceptable. Micro stubble in places that is not visible. One pretty heavy weeper. Some strong aluminum feedback in a couple spots.

Quality: 8

Comfort: 8

Enjoyment: 8

Overall: 8
What do you mean by “strong aluminum feedback”? Just curious.

Shave of the Week (SWS)

Soap: Barrister and Mann Fougère Angelique
Brush: Parker Silver Tip Badger
Razor: Karve Overlander
Blade: Personna Platinum Chrome

20240128_144843.jpg

Sticking with the Overlander as we round out January. My plan for the week is to try several different blades.

The Personna felt pretty good. I did manage to the get a pair of weepers at the corner of the mouth, so I need to be extra cautious next go around. Otherwise, excellent shave.

Cheers.

Still in. Personna Comfort Coated is among my favorite blades. But going back to Personna Platinums, which I haven't used for awhile makes me wonder if they aren't just as good. Either way they both deliver great shaves.
Razor: Star Model 100
Blade: Personna Platinum (4)
Brush: Kent 22mm Synthetic
Soap: Nordic Sandalwood
AS: Stirling Vanilla & Sandalwood, Sir Henry's Sandalwood

Day 28, 90.3% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Al Handle, Astra SP #5
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Back to the Rockwell for what should have been an autopilot DFS. Instead I was over-ambitious, and got a near-BBS with blade-burn.

My usual PS, "Nivea Protect and Care Replenishing Post-Shave Balm", does a good job of sorting out user error.

Date29.01.2024
366 daily shaves
029/366

RazorBladeBrush
Blackland Blackbird SSNacet (1)Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Barrister + Mann Leviathan
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Consistency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (Highly Consistent)10/10
(Clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10
(DFS+++)
9/10
(Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Summary. Another very nice shave with the Blackbird kickstarting the final week of January ahead.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave.

Day 29, and feeling fine!

Razor: Henson AL13+
Blade: RK Shaving Stainless (2)
Brush: Simpsons Commodore X2
Soap: Tabac Original
Aftershave: Tabac Original

IMG_1859.jpeg

Very nice today. What I like most about this ensemble is that it’s consistently giving great shaves!

Make it a great day!

In!

View attachment 1784323
● Semogue Barbear Português Limited Edition
● Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant OC
● Gillette Platinum (3)
● M&W Sir Irisch Moos (Soap/AS)

Speaking of the YTAS... @Jack Goossen
Compared to yesterday's shave with the Stirling HA razor the shave with the YTAS felt as easy as a walk in the park. Though, attmittedly, the high pitched audio feedback of the YTAS made me a bit nervous. 😅 Two passes, BBS.

On a side note, the Gillette Platinum (dark blue, third outing) performed admirably well. She has tamed two razors with a lot of blade exposure without giving me one single weeper. Perhaps this blade even will bring down my end level big boss (aka Timeless Bronze OC) to his knees. We shall see. But that’s definitely a story for another day...

Have a nice day, Gents!
I have loads of those blades.
Will try in the Roedter next shave 👌

Still in 🙏🏽

The only disadvantage of my project "ultra long stubble" is I miss you all.
Sort of "Loneliness of the long stubble shaver", so to speak.
Anyway: since rediscovering the dreaded Roedter 1909, I grab that enigmatic razor for the aforementioned project. As expected, the Nacet performed great, but I am a curious person and decided to use a couple of other blades.
The next one in line failed to live up to the slogan on the tuck. The Gillette 7 o'clock Sharpe Edge is not that sharp. I had to use some extra passes here and there, which the Nacet took care of in a single pass. Thanks to the Roedter the result was still magnificant, though.
Curious what other blades will deliver.
The soap I used is very good, but also quite expensive. Lucky for me it was a gift from my son in law out of gratitude for me introducing him to the art of DE shaving.
Take care, brethren, and remember: the less pressure you use, the better the shave. And it opens the gate to the top dog efficient razors.

IMG_2171.jpeg

Still in no shave

Congrats. 😀👍

Quoting from your journal:

"I think it has the capabilities for a two-pass DFS, but today I just went with my normal 3.5 passes. My face feels marble and my neck is near BBS. Not bad for a first shave, right?!"

Right.

Regarding the "non spectacular" results you got today, I'd blame the presumably worn KGC, I mean 18 outings is a word for a blade which covers "middle ground" in terms of sharpness even when new.

Load a fresh (!) Nacet blade and see if you have to make a post in said thread then... 😉

Cheers!🍻
✌🏽✌🏽

SOTD January 29th 2024 💵 💰 💲
January 2024 GRUME
BADGERary 2024!!! 🦡 🦡🦡
MdC Monday

Hello friends

I took a few days off and came back today with a 5 day beard. Cloudy morning, great for a rose scent, so I went for it: MdC Rose and Penhaligon’s Hammam Bouquet. Among them, my good old Yardley Original Pure Badger, Greencult 2.0 plate IV, Gillette Silver Blue (4) and Thayers. A deep shave, yet easy and smooth.

With us in this poetic moment, Melody Gardot.

Rating: 10

Have a nice week and great shaves!
❤️🪒

C86712CF-80C4-48DA-8F6F-29111FCB1702.jpeg
IMG_4701.jpeg

Top Bottom