What's new

It's official, I bought my first DE!

With a cartridge, 3-blade razor, I used to shave every other day and could get about 21 shaves per cartridge (with honing on my jeans). How many shaves can I expect from DE blades? Does it depend on the manufacturer? What's the norm? Telltale signs? (more nicks, etc.)

It varies, but the norm is 3-5 shaves per blade. Some shavers get slightly more, but this would be the average in my opinion. It also depends on your individual bead, some beards are harder on blades than others.

I like to shop locally (when I can) so I just bought my first DE razor. Merkur #178 (no idea if this is the same as the 34c… but it felt heavy and good in my hand.)

if time permits, tomorrow's the big shave.

It will do just great, as long as you get yourself some Arko and a boar brush (or whatever works for you) :biggrin:

1. With a cartridge, 3-blade razor, I used to shave every other day and could get about 21 shaves per cartridge (with honing on my jeans). How many shaves can I expect from DE blades? Does it depend on the manufacturer? What's the norm? Telltale signs? (more nicks, etc.)
  2. Sometimes the razor feels very sluggish. Is that the blade or my angle?
  3. I'm on my third blade...I went from Merkur (what came with the razor...then I ordered my pack) and then the Dorco and now back to a Merkur. Derby/Crystal blade is next. I got almost no burn with the Dorco blades, but have had some with the Merkur. The Merkur (for me) delivers a better shave, however is it my technique that's developing the burn or is it the blade?
  4. I'm also noticing a few ingrown hairs on my neck that I didn't get with cartridge blades. Again, is this due to my technique and this will improve with practice?

Thanks!
1. 3-5 is average. Depends on your face and the blade mostly. I usually get 3 with Derbys, or 2 if I wait too long between shaves and have to do 4 passes or more. You'll feel dragging and tugging and it just won't cut as well so you'll find yourself doing a lot of extra touch up.

2. It could be your angle, but probably the blade or the lather. Concentrate on short strokes and a consistent angle and pressure (none). You'll soon figure it out.

3. Merkurs don't have the greatest reputation from what I have gathered. You'll probably find the Derbys much nicer. I haven't tried the Dorcos yet though. A crappy or dull blade will encourage bad technique like mashing down or going over the same spot too often which causes irritation. So it could be either/or/both.

4. Inadequate face prep can cause this, I've heard. ATG also with some people. Are you shaving ATG? Did you do that with the cartridges? At any rate, I would think it should improve with practice and maybe the blade hassomething to do with it.

BTW, I have seen the 34C Merkur referred to as the model 178 on Amazon, so you are using the HD. I started with that model and I liked it a lot. Today though I used a '56 Tech for the first time and fell in love with it. The slim head makes it much easier to shave under my nose. I just have to watch the pressure because it's so light and it feels like there's no blade in the thing. I also used Tabac soap today for the first time, so that may have had something to do with it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info!
I have a light beard that usually only requires every other day shaving. (Over 40 and I still cannot grow sideburns! :blush: ) I typically shave WTG then a light second pass ATG, mostly on my neck where WTG seems to miss patches.

When you say that a blade gets typically 3-5 shaves, are you talking per edge or in general? (Not that I'm keeping track of my "per-edge" shaves!) I think I've been pushing them more toward the 5 shaves/blade range. I'll try to change them out more often.

I'd like to try another soap sometime...right now I'm using a sandalwood shaving soap (cake) that my wife got me from a store in the mall.

Oh, and I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I'm also using a good, medium-quality badger brush. (100x better than the boar brush I had before!)

While 3-5 seems to be the average, many of us here get more. I average about 6 days (shaving every day) per blade. I've seen some who who say they get more, and some only two or even one.

My face and my razor like cheap blades. I'm blessed. I'm not a cheapskate, I just like them better. So I use them 3 times.

I love Derby, Red Israelis, and I tried on Dorco 301 and loved it too. If you get cheap blades, just throw them out after 3 uses.

So.... have you tried Proraso yet?

Top Bottom