What's new

It's official, I bought my first DE!

I like to shop locally (when I can) so I just bought my first DE razor. Merkur #178 (no idea if this is the same as the 34c… but it felt heavy and good in my hand.)

if time permits, tomorrow's the big shave.

I like to shop locally (when I can) so I just bought my first DE razor. Merkur #178 (no idea if this is the same as the 34c… but it felt heavy and good in my hand.)

if time permits, tomorrow's the big shave.

Yes, that's the 34C.

Congratulations on your purchase.

Good luck. Take your time and enjoy.

- Chris

Your worst mistake will be absolved if you do not push it into your face like a M3. The rest is gravy. With thousands of Soaps, Cremes, Brushes, After Shaves, your choices are endless.

Sorry, you are a member here so you must buy Tabac. It is the rules.

Actually DON'T buy Tabac. Use some low end stuff first. Williams will train you to make a good lather. C&E Nomad will cause you question why you spent $20 on bad soap!! At least the bowl is wood so you can melt something good into it.

Congratulations on the wonderful journey you are about to take.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Good choice! Which blades are you going to use with it?

Tried using the razor this morning for the first time. I have to say that it went pretty well. Only one nick by my lip, not the closest shave yet, but I wasn't going to push it. Oh, and I chickened out and didn't shave around my nose and under my lip. May have to grow my goatee back. LOL

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
That's good news! Don't expect a great shave right away, it will get closer and closer with time!

I've been shaving with this razor for a few weeks now and am really loving it! I can't wait to shave! I bought the big sample pack from WCS and have been working my way though those blades.

Here's a list of what was included:
  • Merkur Super Platinum (10 blades)
  • Feather New Hi-Stainless Platinum (10 blades)
  • Crystal or "Israeli" (10 blades)
  • Derby Extra (5 blades) Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (5 blades)
  • Astra Superior Platinum (5 blades)
  • BIC Chrome Platinum (5 blades)
  • DORCO Platinum ST-300 (10 blades)
  • Red Pack Israeli (5 blades)

I have a few (newbie) questions:

1. With a cartridge, 3-blade razor, I used to shave every other day and could get about 21 shaves per cartridge (with honing on my jeans). How many shaves can I expect from DE blades? Does it depend on the manufacturer? What's the norm? Telltale signs? (more nicks, etc.)
  2. Sometimes the razor feels very sluggish. Is that the blade or my angle?
  3. I'm on my third blade...I went from Merkur (what came with the razor...then I ordered my pack) and then the Dorco and now back to a Merkur. Derby/Crystal blade is next. I got almost no burn with the Dorco blades, but have had some with the Merkur. The Merkur (for me) delivers a better shave, however is it my technique that's developing the burn or is it the blade?
  4. I'm also noticing a few ingrown hairs on my neck that I didn't get with cartridge blades. Again, is this due to my technique and this will improve with practice?

Thanks!

R

rainman

Good razor and blade selection. The ingrowns could be from technique. I guess time will tell. Offcourse, another razor could be added to the mix!:biggrin:

Top Bottom