What's new

It's never too late -- a middle-age newbie story

About the time I started to grow whiskers, there was no longer a man in the house. My mom, who is European, adopted the shaving habits of most North American women when she moved to the states--but she never graduated further than an electric Lady Norelco.

So that was the razor handed to me to start shaving as a teen. Well, a bit later, on my birthday I got my own "manly" Norelco and I held onto that for over 15 years! I finally replaced it with newer models but I was always curious about shaving with a regular safety razor.

As the years went by, I would occasionally pick up the random twin blade and play around with it (DRY!). Too painful, too scary, and now it was pretty embarrassing to ask any of my 30-something friends HOW to shave with a blade.

Then, at age FORTY, comes the day that I had to go to a formal function right after work (where my picture was going to be taken) and I was nowhere near home or an electric razor. Panicked, I went to a friend's house and said "I need to shave and I have absolutely no idea how to do it." Having known one another since college, he always assumed that the electric was my preference--but having the patience of Job, he walked me through the process on a Mach 3. (A good friend is a great find!)

I was really surprised how great wet shaving felt. The next day I went out and bought a Mach3, some Gillette Foamy and a bottle of Aqua Velva and was pretty staisfied. Then I started to wonder about what guys USED to shave with before all this multi-blade, spring-loaded technology.

And that's when I really discovered shaving. It started with a Sensor Excel and then an ATRA from eBay, then a Schick injector (like my Dad used), and finally the DE.

What I realized, is that there was total "rite of passage" into adulthood that I missed by not learning to wet shave. And I also realized that the "slash & dash" of the cartridge shave never felt like grooming or really taking care of myself. I've found that the slower wet shave with all the balms, lathers, after-shaves, etc. makes me take better care of myself--beyond just the morning shave. And nothing truly makes you feel more like a "guy" than picking up steel, and diving into that ritual known as "the morning shave."

I hope all the guys out there who have sons will make sure they teach this all-important step into manhood to their offspring. It's one of the few things that only a father can do for his son--and I can think of no better way for a Dad & Son to bond than by passing along this ancient ritual that is truly unique to the male of our species.

Happy 4th of July Weekend, fellas! :cool:

Good on ya'! Now go to You Tube and check out the wetshave tutorials by Mantic (if you haven't already). Many here including me have found them invaluable. You will learn how to properly prepare your face, create lather and shave. He can be your stand-in "dad" and teach you all you need to know. Now go out and buy, buy, buy all those great products. That's half the fun! If I might make a suggestion try the Tabac shave soap. It lathers up rich and keeps your face hydrated all day. Good luck and welcome.

Excellent tale, M.A.N.! (middle age newbie)

There are 8 million stories in the naked face city...this is one of them...

Welcome and what an excellent story. I love the idea of "picking up steel in the morning." It's very masculine, you're right. Toss out those plastic Mach3's if you've not done so, and find some steel to wield. Now for a breakfast of steak and eggs. No thanks, I'll just take the steak raw.

Seriously, I never thought of it that way. Thanks.

Best,

Another unexpected wet shaving benefit:

So many women are used to seeing guys shave with an electric or cartridge, it's boring--but my current GF just LOVES to watch me shave with a DE. Some mornings I end up leaving the house a little later than I planned :thumbup1:

Another unexpected wet shaving benefit:

So many women are used to seeing guys shave with an electric or cartridge, it's boring--but my current GF just LOVES to watch me shave with a DE. Some mornings I end up leaving the house a little later than I planned :thumbup1:

hehehehe :em3300: and Welcome to the mix BurmaShaver!

Welcome to B&B,
great story now you got some catching up to do to make up for all the years of using an electric, may the AD's begin :biggrin:

I can relate brother. I fell into the electric shaving trap for way too many years. Tugging and ingrown hairs were all I knew. Then came the multi bladed cartridge shave and the can of crap. All that changed recently and I just love to shave now. My gf is starting to take notice of the smells and the way I shave so there is hope for her too.

It is never to late!

Middle aged n00b here as well.

My dad used a DE with canned goo but about all the training he gave me was 'North/South only. After a few years you can go South/North'.

I went electric instead, then picked up an Atra. About the time the triple bladers came out I rebelled and started using double blade Bic disposables.

Got a job in IT and went back to a crappy cheap electric when I bothered to shave at all (didn't gain me many points with my wife)....

Now I'm enjoying shaving, and my lovely partner comments on how much better my skin looks...

It's never too late indeed!

Top Bottom