What's new

Is wet shaving becoming too popular?

In Europe cart shaving is called wet shaving, electrics were dry shaving. Now we have wet shaving electrics. Only a few people on one or two forums believe that only using a DE is wet shaving...

Have you considered method shaving?
A lot of people refer to it that way, and a few who don't care for it are vocal "Grammer Nazis".

Method shaving is shaving in a particular pattern, regardless of beard mappings.

Can something really become too popular? I suppose that might affect the availability of vintage razors, but I doubt it. Besides, the market would step in and provide supply.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
To be honest, I never thought of DE shaving as "wet shaving", I just thought of it as shaving, exactly the same thing as when my doc told me to buy an electric shaver when I had to go on anticoagulants; I didn't think of that as "dry shaving." I actually never heard of "wet shaving" until I decided I was not going to be able to afford cartridge shaving, and found out that a bunch of fellow weirdos were online talking about "wet shaving" in reference to the way I learned to shave 45 years ago: with a DE razor that I used when mom and dad were both out of the house. (I doubt my peach fuzz did much to his used blade; I never got caught or called on the carpet for it. My older sis probably did more damage with it on her legs!)

Anyway, there seem to be a lot of folks on here gettin' their knickers in a knot about something that, as my dear old dad used to say "ain't gonna make a d&-+$ed bit of difference in a hundred years!"

For those of us who are in the DE 99% of the time camp: lighten up! Trust me on this: the guy on the front line in the Battle of the Bulge who had frozen water wasn't wet shaving. If he was shaving it was dry.

(Now I suppose a history buff will chime in and korrect my analysis, missing my point so that they can kontinue to have their feelings hurt) Another thing my dad always said, "some folks ain't happy unless they are miserable.) Thanks for the entertaining posts though.

No such thing as "wet shaving" in Greek. We just say traditional shaving. And no, cart shaving isn't traditional shaving :)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.

That scarf had me laughing. The other night we were at a parade and someone had their mirrorless camera out and was taking photos. Fine and good. However the funny part was the damn scarf. He was copying the press photographers from the third world that wear those "middle eastern" pattern scarves around the neck.

I'll bet you could tell the quality of the scarf in the quality of the photos. LOL

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
To be honest, I never thought of DE shaving as "wet shaving", I just thought of it as shaving, exactly the same thing as when my doc told me to buy an electric shaver when I had to go on anticoagulants; I didn't think of that as "dry shaving." I actually never heard of "wet shaving" until I decided I was not going to be able to afford cartridge shaving

That is me too. It's shaving. With a blade, be it cart or DE or SE, I use a lubricant/soap/foam/whatever, but that doesn't factor into what I call it. If I use an electric or something from 1920, it's still shaving to me.

I see shaving with vintage style razors ("like grandpa used") becoming a little more popular as in you can now buy blades and entry level razors in many chain stores. It's still nowhere near the shelf space devoted to beards. Beard balm, beard lube, beard smoother, tightener, toughener, waxer, coagulent, solidifier, softener, conditioner, stander upper, layer downer, etc.

So in our world the term "shave like grandpa" is tossed about. What do those sporting the beards say to capture the "vintage beard" spirit?

In Europe cart shaving is called wet shaving, electrics were dry shaving. Now we have wet shaving electrics. Only a few people on one or two forums believe that only using a DE is wet shaving...

Or "DE shaving" which would by elision become "d'shaving", or in the N central US, "da shavin', don'tchaknow."

Great point Sabre. A very interesting cultural difference.

In the US the term “Wet Shaving” is used pretty exclusively by the DE/SE crowd. Cart and Can shavers simply refer to it as “shaving”. You won’t find the term used in any mainstream advertising or product packaging. When I first got involved in Wet Shaving I discussed it with a few men my age (almost 50). Their first question was, “What is Wet Shaving?”. Followed by, “They still sell that stuff?”.

To put it another way (in the US) just because your shave with water doesn’t make it “Wet Shaving”. That was the point I was trying to drive home.

Classified on the side [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FarmerTan

Cart shaving with a brush and soap is classified as?
Weird.

No, seriously though, I use a cart once a month or so, when I'm in a hurry. And that's always in the shower, where I have a Bic single blade metal disposable that is over a year old with probably 15 or 20 uses. I have a can of Barbasol in the shower too. But I am now a drain on society, ie: SSDI recipient, so I am rarely in a hurry. So I shave, wetly, with a DE and soap and brush. And follow it with an aftershave that my wife generally disapproves of.

FarmerTan

Weird.

No, seriously though, I use a cart once a month or so, when I'm in a hurry. And that's always in the shower, where I have a Bic single blade metal disposable that is over a year old with probably 15 or 20 uses. I have a can of Barbasol in the shower too. But I am now a drain on society, ie: SSDI recipient, so I am rarely in a hurry. So I shave, wetly, with a DE and soap and brush. And follow it with an aftershave that my wife generally disapproves of.
I should add: I chose to live dangerously, as I refuse to use an electric, though doctors ALWAYS mention that to folks on Coumadin.

Carbon blades or a straight?! Unless you use obsidian or curved bronze you are definitely not traditional wet shaving. Those newfangled “straight” razors weren’t invented till at least pliny the elder.
I agree with you, but I do find it tiresome sharpening the curved bronze after every shave, so maybe I should just knuckle under and try one of those new fangled iron blades.

It would be interesting to see some marketing data from big shaving product manufacturers and retailers. Here in Finland DE blades vanished from the most of stores in the first decade of this century. Now the situation has been same for tien years, five nation wide departement store/supermarket chains sell Gillette Platinum 5 packs by high price, mostly to the older people, I asume. Newer generation shaving enthusiast probably do their shopping in internet where prices are lower and supply better. Immigrants from Eastern Europe and Near East are maybe more usea to DE shaving. New brick and mortar vendors are Arabian and Turkish ethnical shops which might sell some blades cheaply. I have bought from them a couple of Lord Super Stainless 10 blades packs by 2 or 1,5€. But this is a marginal business and the East Europeans can get their blades from their native countries. The newcomers from the 2015 asylum seeker wave have too established many new barber shops where a shaving with a shavette is often available with modest prices. So some people must be keeping up the tradition of DE shaving but mostly folks who have get tired to gimmics of Gillette and others copying Gillette are just giving up shaving altogether or making a transfer to disposables or electronical razors. Even carts are bit harder to locate in shops, because shopkeepers have put them to safer places in their shops to prevent these getting stolen. So in general, I’m mostly a bit surprised that DE market in the mainstream retail business has not waned still during the recent years.

Last edited:
I thank the golden age of this kind of shaving has passed. It’s slowed way down I think in the last 4 years. People don’t post on forums like they used to people don’t make YouTube videos like they used to.

I agree with you, but I do find it tiresome sharpening the curved bronze after every shave, so maybe I should just knuckle under and try one of those new fangled iron blades.
Oooh! Bronze! Fancy! Back in the day, we didn't have tin to mix in. Or fire for smelting. It was native copper beaten more or less smooth with a bone, and the flint-shavers used to tease us something fierce for that!

... In the US the term “Wet Shaving” is used pretty exclusively by the DE/SE crowd. ...

I have to agree with Sabre (et al.) who observe that if one uses water in one's shave, the term "wet" properly applies. I would argue that "wet shaving" is a genus that would include the species of carts, wet-lectrics, DE, SE, SR, etc.; and the species should be used to avoid ambiguity. Even within DE shaving, there are the subspecies of new and vintage, TTO, etc. An additional syllable or two isn't going to infringe much on anyone's time, in the long run.

I also like the term "sport shaving," though that, too, could properly be applied to anyone trying to obtain top performance from whatever gear and technique he or she is using.

Top Bottom