What's new

Is minimalism ever trending?

Personally I prefer to keep things real simple. In the beginning months I tried various things to dial in on what I liked, now I'm sticking with those things and enjoying great shaves daily. It's really not complicated!

Yes, that's probably the best definition of Minimalism around here I've seen. thx!

My plan is to get to the point where I use the same things every single day, I'm just in the process right now of narrowing things down. I think this time next year I should be in a solid routine with little to no variance, except maybe alternating soap/aftershave with the season.

This is essentially how I came to where I am now. I tried various razors, soaps, blades, etc. I worked on my technique along the way also. After a period of time I figured out what I like and what I don't and zero'd in on what I now use every day.

It's not like I won't ever change something. If I feel like a change then I'll try a soap or an aftershave perhaps, but I'm the type who doesn't crave alot of variety, nor do I require it. I just want something that works well and I'm quite content.

With soaps for example, I might use VDH daily for months, then one day out of the blue decide I want to use Williams or Arko or Proraso Green (others I've used and enjoyed in the past). What I don't do is change daily, I don't like that sort of change.

With aftershaves I might use Aqua Velva for days on end, then suddenly one morning I'll grab the Old Spice or Clubman and that ends up being my choice for days or weeks.

The shaving kit I do have is very small compared to the vast majority here. I'm very content and enjoy every shave and that's what each of us should strive for - to enjoy it!

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I grew up on Cheerios. That was the only cereal in our pantry. But when I got old enough to buy my own cereal, I realized that I needed variety to keep from being bored. I still eat Cheerios every now and then, but I have 7 or 8 boxes of other brands in the pantry. When shaving became something to enjoy rather than a chore, I needed the same variety. I have 2 razors -- the R41 with a bulldog handle and the Feather ASD2. I have one brush -- a silvertip badger from WSP. That's pretty minimal. But I have plenty of different flavors of shaving cereal. And they're all magically delicious.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The definition's can be wide and varying when it comes to the word "minimalist." There is a difference between minimalizing and being a true minimalist. I enjoy the skill required and the many different techniques in shaving, that can be had with different types of razors.

I'm sure, with my developed skill and technique, I could probably shave with some left over bacon grease and the lid from an old, rusty can of pork & beans, if I truly desired to be minimalist about it. So while I do try to keep a minimalist approach to shaving by minimizing to a favorite DE, SE, Injector, Straight, Shavette and Cartridge, this still gives me 6 razors. Albeit, different types, which still lets me practice and stay acquainted with the skill and techniques in using each one of them.

I take this same minimalizing approach with my soaps. I could use just one soap for all seasons, but choose instead to use 4 soaps, that I feel are designed and can be purposed for each separate season. The cooling menthol of Proraso for Summer, The warm, woodsy smell of Tabac for Fall, The moisture protection of lanolin in Haslinger's Schafmilch for the colder, dryer months of Winter. And my favorite Spring time soap in La Toja.

But I don't have a clue of what to do with my 200 aftershaves... ;)

I only have one razor. Two blade types. One type came with the razor. One brush. 4 soaps. I will use these until I run out. And 2 aftershaves one an unsented balm and one splash. I keep it simple. I figure the more stuff I buy, the more I have to store. Clutter is one of my pet peeves.

Top Bottom