What's new

Is minimalism ever trending?

Just wondering if the KISS approach ever gets "in". One razor, one brush, one soap, one blade type, one splash? Or is buying out the store still the thing.

I'm working toward it, not there yet.

I have been doing a modified KISS year. I have even been minimizing my B&B time. I started 2017 with and remain in on the 2017 shave purchase sabbatical... I haven't purchased ONE shaving-related product so far. I also started the year on a "Fixed Four" of a monthly declared theme in which I pick out and use one razor, one brush, one blade brand, and one soap for the month.

Part of the problem is the phase of various acquisition disorders you have to go through before your pretty sure you'd be comfortable with the limits of minimalism.

Then along comes something shiny, or maybe better smelling.

Maybe someday.

It is for me. However, it's not because of a lack of desire for more. I am simply budget minded. There are at least a dozen different brands of soap I want to purchase; soap commander, MWF, Mystic Water, Mama Bear (which, sadly, I understand is closing in the Fall), B&M, and the list goes on. I also have Haslinger, Captain's Choice, and a sample of Stirling and would like to try more of their soaps. However, until I finish the four or five soaps I have, I will wait to purchase more. As for razors, I have two and don't see the need for more unless I run across them dirt cheap. I also have two brushes, which is plenty, although I would like to try a quality badger one day but don't feel there is enough value for the cost. So, simple is just a byproduct of being frugal.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

One razor: check

One blade type: check

One brush: check

One soap: NO FREAKIN WAY!!!!!!!!

Almost there...

Almost, but I'll ever get there. One razor (Fatboy) one brush (Floris, 1971, original owner) one brand of blade (GBS) one lather bowl (Utilemud) and even one Listerine froggy art deco blade bank.

But soaps and creams! I've been through maybe fifty. I love about 15, enough for a nice rotation. And I've gotten it down to three aftershave splashes.

Great solution: no more ADs, and enough product to keep me pleased every shave.

I am working at this too, and using up products that I still have. It's a discipline and a struggle for me as I love all the different products out there too. But simple for me is better. So I'm downsizing what I use.

I think it does, but for a much smaller amount of people. I indulged myself when I started, trying out tons of different soaps, creams, aftershaves, razors and blades. I've found my favorites, my sweet spot, so I'll probably be selling off some of the razors I don't care much for and just keep a couple that treat me really well.

It depends.

If your are shaving as a HOBBY it won't work.You will always want MORE.

If,like I do, are shaving in order to.....shave :001_smile...it will definitely work.

All I use ,since 1980,is one can of shaving foam (I go back and forth between brands but only when I finish the one I use at the time ),the same DE razor (unfortunately I travel a lot so after some imbeciles decided that DE razors are a menace to the airplane society I do use disposables quite a lot so I do have a few packs of them at home) and the same brand of blades,and one AS (again I go back and forth between brands but only when I finish the one I use at the time ) .

Like a couple others have said, I could be a minimalist when it comes to razors, blades, and brushes, but soap and a/s will be my downfall. I am currently a minimalist on this front due to budget though.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Part of the problem is the phase of various acquisition disorders you have to go through before your pretty sure you'd be comfortable with the limits of minimalism.

Then along comes something shiny, or maybe better smelling.

Maybe someday.
Well said.

The question really is...why would you want to be a minimalist? So many wonderful shaving items out there. It's like Christmas every morning at my house. I new soap, a new razor, a new after shave! :001_cool:

That being said...I only have one type of blade in my house...Polsiver Super Iridium...a couple hundred of them...:001_tt2:

I have quite a collection of SR, DE, SE razors, brushes, soaps, creams, ASBs, pre-shave creams, blades etc.,etc. I do find, however, I am narrowing my daily kit to just a few of my most treasured items. So, what that means is...I have one toe in the minimalist camp and a reserve to draw on in times of need. Best of both worlds IMO.

I have been under forced minimalism when it comes to soap. SWMBO expressed her desire to see less shaving soap appear in the bathroom, probably after the week when I got 3 deliveries in 2 days.

I'm good, just experimenting for something ideal before I settle down. Only need to peg down a brush bigger than my Simpson Special, and one soap.

Top Bottom