What's new

Is minimalism ever trending?

I think I do well in the minimalist category.

I have 2 razors, slant for my face, one for my melon (head doesn't like the slant otherwise I would just own 1 razor).

I use and buy only 1 type of blade.

Soaps is my weakness I guess, although I have whittled away or sold many. I hover around 20 soaps. I have a few for summer, and few for winter and a few that work year round. Vast majority of them are paired with fragrances so it depends on what is going on or what I'm feeling that day. I have identified my best performing makers/artisans and I just shop scents now.

I'm going the minimalist route. I took inventory of what I had and realized I can still only shave once a day. Only reach for two of my razors, do one soap at a time and typically go with an unscented aftershave because of coworker who is sensitive to smells. I'm at the point where I just don't want to think of all the options

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In some sense, I'm a once and future minimalist. For years, my setup was one shavette (Feather Artist Club DX) for detail work, a DE (Merkur Futur, later Mühle R41) for the rest, Feather blades, one brush (a Classic Shaving freebee), Gentlemen's Refinery unscented shaving cream, and Musgo Real classic scent aftershave.

Lately, driven by Claus Porto's impending discontinuation of Musgo Real classic scent and a desire to learn to use a half-DE-blade shavette to do the whole shave, I've been auditioning aftershaves and blades. However, when the dust settles, I hope to have a go-to single blade, aftershave (at least seasonally), shavette, unscented soap or cream, and brush.

I am definitely not minimalist but don't think I have acquisition disorder. I feel that I enjoy this as a hobby but have restraint / am budget minded.

When I first started, I had one razor, an EJ DE89, for almost 2 years. I ended up getting a Rockwell and thought I was set forever. Then... I found a Fatboy for a great price in the wild. Since then, I regularly browse garage sales and flea markets. I am up to about 10-12 razors, except for the EJ and Rockwell, they have all been purchased in the wild for good prices.

For soaps, I went through a phase of ordering to try lots after about 2 years. I think I am dialing in what I like, and haven't bought any soap since the new year. I am trying to use some up before buying anything new and will really think if I need to replace it.

So I know I'm not a minimalist but not out of control, or at least that's what I tell myself.

I've been happily using 1 brush, blade, soap, splash for a couple of years now and find my shaves improving. I also find that not constantly reading this forum has helped. You need to stick with things in order to learn them. This site is a wonderful place to learn the basics but it also causes you to constantly go looking for something better to exchange for just learning to shave. Technique is everything.

One brush and two razors :) I like a little variety.

Seriously - the way to keep it affordable (for me) is to rotate the consumables... not the equipment.

I've been happily using 1 brush, blade, soap, splash for a couple of years now and find my shaves improving. I also find that not constantly reading this forum has helped.

I think this surmises it well. Those who aren't using lots of gear probably aren't spending much time here, because they won't have much to talk about.

I do not think so! This is a hobby that allows me to try (actually collect) shaving stuff.

I'm with BigJ here. It's all fun and as long as I keep my spending in check it's just a hobby. There's far worse or more expensive things I could be spending money on. Although I do imagine if something were to ever happen to me my family would be scratching their heads figuring out what to do with all this stuff.

I started out, years ago, with one razor , soap etc. but just recently since I joined B&B have I been collecting. I've acquired over 40 razors, a few soaps and about 15 brushes, I think it's time to thin out my collection, getting rid of the razors that I don't use. Keeping the few DE/SE I actually like to use and the sentimental ones (Dads Fatboy, my original Slim and BB)

I have to put this in context. Long ago, in another place, I was hooked by fly-fishing. Went through a lot of gear. Many rods, reels, lines, flies were bought, some sold. I now own two rods, three reels. These are the ones which suit me. I will never buy more.
I have only been wet shaving for 50 years. And I have owned a fair number of razors, soaps, brushes, and blades. Pretty soon I will narrow it down a bit more. I don't really need three boar brushes, one mixed brush, and a badger, nor the seven soaps awaiting. Two razors, because one is for travel, well, okay. As for the two year supply of blades, we all know they are cheaper in bulk.
I have tried and sold off a few brushes and razors, and honestly, would be happy enough with a bit less gear, but any hobby that fits in a shoe box is neat.
No garage or storage locker required.

When compared to many here, I am something of a minimalist, though I'll never get to one of anything. I like a little variety, but I do keep things relatively simple.

I guess I'm sorta in the middle. I have 2-3 razors in my regular rotation however 1 gets used much more often then the other. Same thing for soaps, 2-3 in rotation with 1 seeing use much more then the others. I keep 2 different blades around but have them for specific razors. I keep 3 aftershaves around, 1 is for when I'm feeling "fancy" and the other 2 are grocery store scents I'll slap on when I simply need to use a splash but don't want to "waste" my expensive one. I also have and need only 1 brush, omega s brush... Most reliable piece of hardware I own and it only cost me $7.

That's about it. I realistically could take that down to 1 razor, 1 blade type, 1-2 soaps, and 1 as splash but I need a little variety. Also I made sure I have some higher costing items and some lower costing items so I'm not always blasting through the more pricey stuff for no reason.

A "fancy" shave would be: 37c, feather, proraso green or white, alum, fine American blend as

A "cheap" shave would be: PAA Bakelite OC slant, Astra sp, arko stick or barbasol, alum, clubman or AV ice blue

I think a key issue to minimalism, is to avoid forums like these. If you constantly read about new gear, you get inspired and inspiration is the foundation for motivation (in this coincidence trying/buying). I also believe, that if you can keep your motivation with minimal gear, you will master shaving better, than changing stuff the entire time. Im not good at it myself, cause I got that gear acquisition syndrom, but honestly I would like to be :)

I think a key issue to minimalism, is to avoid forums like these. If you constantly read about new gear, you get inspired and inspiration is the foundation for motivation (in this coincidence trying/buying). I also believe, that if you can keep your motivation with minimal gear, you will master shaving better, than changing stuff the entire time. Im not good at it myself, cause I got that gear acquisition syndrom, but honestly I would like to be :)

Good point. Giving away or selling off gear has been helpful. I think my ultimate target is just two razors, three brushes, two soaps, one AS, and two brands of blades. So, just a little variety. But I am in no hurry to reach goal.

The main problem i see with that club, is that there is no definition of the club. You can buy 100 different soaps and still pretend you are minimalist. :lol:

That's true. Ignorance, is a bliss. There is a good reason why monks go live in a monastery. :biggrin: If you don't know about this and that and that, it's easier to be minimalist. I don't consider myself a hobbyist, i just want to shave with a bit of variety. My belief is, that, once you pass a threshold, where you start buying the expensive stuff, it becomes a hobby, where buying the next one and the next yet, becomes compulsory. You become a collectionist, you start taking photos, you start searching for the next best cream scent and so on. And before you know it, you have 15 different razors, 50 soaps at 20$ each, 10 silvertip brushes and so on. Because it's not about shaving anymore. The shave is just an excuse for buying scents and make collectionism. You might as well admit reality and start collecting perfumes too, together with the wife. That might actually appease her to close an eye on the shaving supply purchases.

For being a newb, i have too much stuff already, but 1) i tried to keep a minimal amount or razor types and 2) kept to cheap equipment. And if it wasn't for reading B&B, i would have kept it simpler for sure. I don't think i could fit the "Minimalist Club", to be honest, since i like a bit of variety (i practically do a 2 item rotation constantly, be it brush, razor, soap, blade or aftershave).

Top Bottom