What's new

Is it just me or.

Is it just me or does your handwriting improve automatically when going from roller or ball points to a fountain pen? My wife got me this very cheap pen set and despite it not being fancy and not the smoothest writer, I did notice my handwriting improved greatly. Perhaps it is because I slow down with it. Dunno. I'm excited to be the winning recipient of Syngent's most recent PIF which includes a Cross fountain pen. I'm sure it writes smoother than what I am using. I'll do a comparison when it gets here. :biggrin1:

I think so too. My writing looks worse every time I pick up a ball point. For me, though, a lot of it is just the broader line of my fps...they lay down a thicker line, so my writing looks less like chicken scratch.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yes, it improves, I think it's the relaxed, no pressure smoothness.

My dart game, unfortunately, did not improve with that set.

It imroves mine. I think I concentrate more on where the nib meets the paper when I use a FP. And, I slow down too.

It's not just you, as I'm sure you'll read here, but I'm not totally convinced in my own case. When writing with one of my fountain pens, some more than others, it certainly seems to me at the time that I'm writing with extra flair and style, even elegance, and it seems that I am writing more easily. If I go back later and make an honest attempt to compare with a sample of my ballpoint or rollerball writing, it's not so clear that the handwriting is actually better. I do tend to write a bit larger with a fountain pen, unless constrained by the size of the paper. The colors are richer than with a ballpoint, and there are spontaneous variations in line width and shading that are absent with a rollerball, but I can't say that it's more legible or neat. Depending on the nib, I may be able to get some very nice effects if I slow down, but they aren't automatic.

Other people do report an automatic improvement. If it's their actual handwriting that improves, and not just the look of the ink on the paper, it may be because of the smoother action of the fountain pen, or the fact that they automatically use a different grip and pen angle.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
+1 again. Prepare to be in awe of your handwriting when you first use an italic, and it only gets better
That is why I used one for my Christmas cards- yeah, my writing isn't great, but it looks a lot better with an italic nib.

My handwriting is definitely better with a fountain pen & even better with an italic nib. It takes less effort to write with a fountain pen & the italic nib slowed me down a little bit, which also helps.

Good thing you reminded me... I forgot to pick up replacement carts for the pen which I just got for you... since you know... I did have to test it before I sent it all out lol

I still can't match the handwriting of my wife. She's got great handwriting! Maybe an italic nib fp next year for Christmas would be a good gift for her.

If you want to try an italic nib for cheap, buy a Pilot Plumix. They can usually be found at Target or Staples. Not sure if Office Depot or Max have them. All else fails you can buy one from Goulet Pens.

I still can't match the handwriting of my wife. She's got great handwriting! Maybe an italic nib fp next year for Christmas would be a good gift for her.

If you want to try an italic nib for cheap, buy a Pilot Plumix. They can usually be found at Target or Staples. Not sure if Office Depot or Max have them. All else fails you can buy one from Goulet Pens.

Great nib. I just wish the pen wasn't so uncomfortable to write with.

Lamar your package will be in the mail tomorrow man... I was looking for a converter for the pen but Aparently it's not so easily had. .. I don't have a spare needle laying around or I would drop you one as you can use it to refill the carts with the bottle of ink I'm sending you or any other ink you may pick up

Have a look at your drug store next time your there if they have blunted needles

Top Bottom