What's new

Next Big Step After Rockwell 6C and Razorock Game Changer .84-P?

I love my Blackland Blackbird SS satin finish and Timeless .68 Titanium OC & SB plates. They are both great razors. If I could afford the Blackbird Titanium that would be probably be my favorite. I also really like the Yates 921. They are probably my top 3 favorite razors so far.
I’ve got a high end titanium on my long term want list still; I think I’d be leaning towards the Timeless if I had to pick today, I like the configuration options and the price over the Blackbird.

I know this will sound like a step backward, since you are already in the wet shaving community and have surpassed "entry level" razors, but don't overlook the Leaf Shave. It's a flexible head razor that takes three "half snapped" double edge razor blades. So it's similar to a Mach3 without the lube strip. As someone that's struggled (for a decade) to get a decent headshave out of a DE razor, this Leaf is a great find. It delivers a Mach3 quality headshave, in my experience. My biggest gripe with using a DE razor for headshaving is all of the missed spots. And if you keep chasing those missed spots down, you "overshave" and get irritation. Not so with the Leaf Shave. Two passes and there AIN'T NO missed spots. That flexible head finds all the whiskers. If you get one, be sure to order the silicone handle cover. Leaf completely neglected to machine effective grip texture into the handle. That's the only gripe I've ever experienced with this razor. Best kept secret in the headshaving universe.
I think the Leaf would have been a solid option when I first transitioned away from the Mach 3, but I think I enjoy traditional DE’s too much at this point. Thankfully I haven’t struggled much with missed spots, it happens time to time but usually only if I’m using a more mild razor in which case the additional pass I need doesn’t cause much irritation. I can’t remember a single time using the GC .84 and needing more than 2 passes.

Have you tried the DSCosmetics AX-SE? It’s under $20 for 3 baseplates and is a Wolfman WR2 clone. After trying about 50 razors the GameChanger .84p is my favorite but I think the AX-SE is right there with it. They make the head in SS and Titanium but are out of stock on the SS and most Titanium.

If you like the GameChangers as well as I do you can also try the DS9 or V95 which are clones of it. AliExpress has a sale at the first of the month for a few days so I’d wait for that and try a few out. Or go ahead and order the AX-SE as cheap as it is your not gonna save too much by waiting. They also come with really nice handles for the price - very similar to RazoRock.

Also the EJ 3One6 is a good choice and right in the same league as the GC. The Muhle Rocca is great as well and has the most blade feel between the 3 - probably similar to a Lupo but it’s been awhile since I used my Lupos. I also preferred the 95 to the 72 and didn’t find it anymore aggressive. I just don’t like the blade forwardness of it when compared to a GC.

I’ve yet to try the .76p, or 1.05p but they’re on my shortlist. Especially the 1.05p. The .84p felt very aggressive the first couple times I used it but now it feels like silk after a couple years of use.

I haven’t ever tried the Karve Overlander, Athena, or Timeless 95 but I think they’d also be amazing and I plan to try them all out. I may skip the Overlander since I’m getting more partial to medium-aggressive razors as time goes on and I have a feeling it’s too mild. But the Athena and Timeless .95SB should be great.

If you like the AX-SE it would give you an excuse to save for a Wolfman WR2. You can get the head alone for around $225. It’s a lot of money but many consider it the best. I’m not sure how close the $20 AX-SE is but if the Wolfie is much better then the AX-SE it would truly be special.

Another razor everyone is raving about these days is an AC format Atelier La Faulx. They’re around $200 for the head only and have many baseplates. I plan to order the + and ++ plates later this year.
Any idea how the AX-SE compares to the Lupo? I already have the .58, .72, and .95, so the AX-SE seems redundant. For the same reason I don’t have the Wolfman WR2 on my want-list (not that I have the money for one anyway 😂).

Timeless .95 or Blackbird are so far my top high end picks that I’m keeping an eye out for.

I have the Timeless Aluminum on my more immediate list since I freaking love the Lupo Aluminum.

You're chasing a dream if you're expecting much of anything to perform significantly better than that 6C.

Meta-4 is a not so distant second, though, if you're just interested in trying new razors independent of expectation.

Any idea how the AX-SE compares to the Lupo? I already have the .58, .72, and .95, so the AX-SE seems redundant. For the same reason I don’t have the Wolfman WR2 on my want-list (not that I have the money for one anyway 😂).

Timeless .95 or Blackbird are so far my top high end picks that I’m keeping an eye out for.

I have the Timeless Aluminum on my more immediate list since I freaking love the Lupo Aluminum.
The AX-SE is completely different then a Lupo. They don’t feel alike at all to me. Unless your saying you have all your bases covered with the Lupo plates. But since you mentioned the Timeless & BlackBird I doubt that’s what you meant. Both of those are also on my list - especially the Timeless 95.

The AX-SE doesn’t have much blade feel for how efficient it is. My Lupos have quite a bit of blade feel but I do like them. The AX-SE would feel closer to a GameChanger but still a different shave.

For under $20 it’s well worth a shot. The handle alone is worth most the cost. It’s the best deal I’ve ever seen on a razor since you get so much for so little. I can’t wait for the SS heads to come back in stock and I’ve already decided to order a WolfMan WR2 as well but it may be a few months.

Top Bottom