What's new

Is it just me?, no love for the Rockwell 6 C!

I love my 6C. Love it. But it has one little quirk that bothers me only slightly. One side of the head is more aggressive than the other. Not by a lot, but enough that I can notice it. Say I'm using the #4 plate, one side would be a #4 (an arbitrary number, I know) and the other side would be a #4.25-4.5. Just enough to notice. This bothers me sometimes and comes in handy sometimes. No love lost for this razor, I would buy one again.

it is your technique. the head is slightly larger and the angle that is required for a smooth shave should be slightly further away from your face as opposed to closer. so it should not shave flat as othe razors. technique is everything. ive tried other razors and they usually require the same angle but this one i noticed right off the bat it is different. try it out.

Id say that the lack off love that the 6C gets is due to it being zamak. People seem to view it as being less-than. I recently ordered a 6S but the only reason I went with the S over the C is that its made in the USA and will likely outlast me. The 6C is a great option for those who want a Rockwell but dont want to drop $100 on a razor.

Id say that the lack off love that the 6C gets is due to it being zamak. People seem to view it as being less-than. I recently ordered a 6S but the only reason I went with the S over the C is that its made in the USA and will likely outlast me. The 6C is a great option for those who want a Rockwell but dont want to drop $100 on a razor.

$140 in Australia ;)

Yep [emoji30]

I have the C, whether it’s zamak or not doesn’t bother me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
IMO, zamak gets an unjustified bad rap. Some of my favorite razors are zamak. I have nothing against the 6C, I simply went stainless because I wanted a razor that could last me the rest of my life. I actually seriously considered the 2C because I tend to like mild razors and I probably will only just use the 1/3 plate. At $30 (American), you cant beat the price too.

I love my 6C. Love it. But it has one little quirk that bothers me only slightly. One side of the head is more aggressive than the other. Not by a lot, but enough that I can notice it. Say I'm using the #4 plate, one side would be a #4 (an arbitrary number, I know) and the other side would be a #4.25-4.5. Just enough to notice. This bothers me sometimes and comes in handy sometimes. No love lost for this razor, I would buy one again.
That's odd. I have not noticed that with the S. It seems very precisely made.

My othe razors very rarely get used since I bought the 6c about a year ago. I still use the fatboy and EJ89 on occasion, but the rest not at all.

it took me around a month of trial and error to dial into the 6C and now it is my daily go to razor. I love shaving with this so much it has absolutely killed my RAD, the thought of buying another razor has not even crossed my mind.

Persona platinum blade on plate 5 is pure heaven.. and if i want to get into 3 days growth (weekend) with even more ease i will throw in a feather

Ok....i have developed some love for the 6C!.

I had my best shave today with the 6C, this is after a bit of a break from using it. (Plate 5)

So i decided to revisit the 6C this morning as i had always felt i had unfinished business with it.I put in a new blade i hadn't tried in it before and had only used once before in my Muhle Rocca, a Gillette Seven o'Clock yellow and then the clouds cleared and the shaving God smiled down on me!

So what changed i hear you ask?.Sometimes you just need to give a Razor some time i guess, dial in the correct technique for it and find a blade it really loves to allow it to shine.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from most... I got the 6c as my second razor, after a cheapo butterfly from Amazon that got me into DE shaving. I thought it would be good for a serious and permanent razor. I really like it. Unfortunately, I didn't try other razors first... And the addiction set in.

When I started reading the Board, I got intrigued and bought two others (Razorock Old Type and Baby Smooth). They've both disappointed. My last trial with (which one?) them felt like sand paper, not a razor.

So, had I settled on the Rockwell to begin with, for the total cost I spent, I could have gotten a 6s that'll go on forever. C'est la vie.

So onto this Zamask material... I never payed much attention to the details of the material... Is it garbage? Will it break easily? I'm now worried I may have made a mistake. Ugh.

For my 2cents on the Rockwell, I find the smooth razor works awesome with a feather or Bic... Something sharp. I also started with a 1 or 2, felt like it wasn't working, so I went to a 5. That wasn't great so after some discussion, settled on trying the 3 plate. It works well for me now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

i revisited my old favourite today in the Edwin Jagger DE89, same blade as i used normally in the Persona Platinum, i noticed that it certainly wasnt as efficient and required an extra pass to get a close shave. This has reaffirmed my love of the rockwell

quick question for all the experienced rockwell users out there.. I never change plates during the shave, do you guys recommend i go up in base plate size (or down) as the growth is reduced to achieve BBS? and when should i be changing? ie after the first or second pass?

I'm far from an expert as I've just reached about 1 year since I started DE shaving, but to give an example from my limited experience, I do switch blades mid-shave. I've found the best for me so far is to use the R4 plate for the first pass WTG and then I'll flip it over to the R2 for the XTG/(semi)ATG passes. However, in reading other threads about adjustable razors in general, I've found there are people who prefer starting with a lower setting and increasing the number on subsequent passes, so even for this there seems to be no right or wrong way, just depends on personal preference.

The 6c razor is quickly becoming my fav out of the few razors that I own. I started with the 34c and really like that one, but recently I've been getting better shaves with the 6c and it's taking over as my daily driver. I have fairly sensitive skin and prefer milder razors. Even the RR old type is a little harsh for me (fine on my face, but causes irritation and insta-weepers if I try to go ATG on my neck), so I haven't even thought to try the 5/6 plate, but reading some of the posts earlier in this thread, it's made me want to give them a try.

As for the blades, I agree with many others on this thread, and have found the GSBs and nacets seem to work the best for me so far in the 6c, but I still have a number of other blades to try out, after having tried them in my 34c, I'm finding that I like some blades in the 6c that I didn't find all the great in the 34c. For example, I didn't really like the GSB when I first tried it in the 34c, but I love it in the 6c.

I'm far from an expert as I've just reached about 1 year since I started DE shaving, but to give an example from my limited experience, I do switch blades mid-shave. I've found the best for me so far is to use the R4 plate for the first pass WTG and then I'll flip it over to the R2 for the XTG/(semi)ATG passes. However, in reading other threads about adjustable razors in general, I've found there are people who prefer starting with a lower setting and increasing the number on subsequent passes, so even for this there seems to be no right or wrong way, just depends on personal preference.

The 6c razor is quickly becoming my fav out of the few razors that I own. I started with the 34c and really like that one, but recently I've been getting better shaves with the 6c and it's taking over as my daily driver. I have fairly sensitive skin and prefer milder razors. Even the RR old type is a little harsh for me (fine on my face, but causes irritation and insta-weepers if I try to go ATG on my neck), so I haven't even thought to try the 5/6 plate, but reading some of the posts earlier in this thread, it's made me want to give them a try.

As for the blades, I agree with many others on this thread, and have found the GSBs and nacets seem to work the best for me so far in the 6c, but I still have a number of other blades to try out, after having tried them in my 34c, I'm finding that I like some blades in the 6c that I didn't find all the great in the 34c. For example, I didn't really like the GSB when I first tried it in the 34c, but I love it in the 6c.
Wow, I see so much love for the GSB I might have to break down and give it a shot. I've been using feathers and BICs, mostly, as those are the two I first saw reviews on. I just got some Astra SPs, but I'm horribly unimpressed, at this point. Both the feather and BIC blow the SP away for me.

Thanks.

I've never tried a Rockwell but 113g for the 6S is too heavy for me, and 100g for the 6C is pretty borderline. Just don't want that heavy a razor.

I never change plates during the shave, do you guys recommend i go up in base plate size (or down) as the growth is reduced to achieve BBS?
I've never even considered changing the plate mid-shave. When I got the 6S the plan was to figure out which plates I liked and then stick with them. I never used 1. I tried 2 and 3 but gave up on them after a few shaves. In the end, I found 5 and 6 to be by far the best settings for me. The only time I use anything lower is after a week of using my Ikon Standard, a very aggressive razor. Then I will use the 4 for a day or two.

Wow, I see so much love for the GSB I might have to break down and give it a shot. I've been using feathers and BICs, mostly, as those are the two I first saw reviews on. I just got some Astra SPs, but I'm horribly unimpressed, at this point. Both the feather and BIC blow the SP away for me.

Thanks.

I've used all of the blades mentioned except BIC. I like Feathers, but I have had a few rough ones. The same goes for Astra SP. The first few times I used them they were rough. Then I got a new tuck and they were better, so I may have gotten some from a bad batch the first time. I tend to prefer them in my most aggressive razor. Feathers on the other hand, seem better in the Rockwell which I consider a medium razor even on plates 5 & 6. I also found that Feather was the best blade in my Oristo, a very mild shaving razor. GSB's and Nacets are my favorites, though. If pressed I would place Nacets above GSB, but they are both very good. You owe it to yourself to sample some others. I've found the Personna reds to be consistently smooth, but many don't consider them very sharp (sometimes they are in a blue pack with the word Personna in red). One nice thing about them and Crystals is that they don't have those little drops of wax that other brands have to stick them to the wrapper. Gillette has a bunch of blades and I've found all of the ones that I've tried to be at least good, with some being very good, and the aforementioned GSB's and Nacets being excellent.

@Pat Puma and @jbird210 i would of posted that when i got the rockwell and have tried many combos since then.. now i have settled on plate 5 as my daily driver and cant emphasize how happy i am with the shaves i get from this razor. i dont change mid shave either. Havnt tried plate 6 yet but intend to do so soon.

As for blades i have tried both the feather and persona platinum and they are both excellent. I do have a couple of GSB so might chuck one of these in next and give it a go

Top Bottom