What's new

Is it just me?, no love for the Rockwell 6 C!

I've never tried a Rockwell but 113g for the 6S is too heavy for me, and 100g for the 6C is pretty borderline. Just don't want that heavy a razor.

i went to the 6C from the DE89 and was worried about the weight.. ends up i like a heavier razor as i just use the weight for the shave with no extra pressure applied, helps give me razor burn free bbs

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from most... I got the 6c as my second razor, after a cheapo butterfly from Amazon that got me into DE shaving. I thought it would be good for a serious and permanent razor. I really like it. Unfortunately, I didn't try other razors first... And the addiction set in.

When I started reading the Board, I got intrigued and bought two others (Razorock Old Type and Baby Smooth). They've both disappointed. My last trial with (which one?) them felt like sand paper, not a razor.

So, had I settled on the Rockwell to begin with, for the total cost I spent, I could have gotten a 6s that'll go on forever. C'est la vie.

So onto this Zamask material... I never payed much attention to the details of the material... Is it garbage? Will it break easily? I'm now worried I may have made a mistake. Ugh.

For my 2cents on the Rockwell, I find the smooth razor works awesome with a feather or Bic... Something sharp. I also started with a 1 or 2, felt like it wasn't working, so I went to a 5. That wasn't great so after some discussion, settled on trying the 3 plate. It works well for me now.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
So I did a test last night... I didn't shave, just put the shave cream on... To my surprise my skin got irritated by the Coates Lime, even without a razor. I am now wondering if the razorock was that bad after all. Still doesn't cut like the Rockwell, but it is likely not to blame for the irritation.

The Coates tube says "for oily skin"... I have dry(ish) skin. Wonder if that's the problem. Some ingredient meant to tame the oil is irritating me, as I don't really have the amount of oil it's intended for? Nonetheless, it's sad as I love the scent (and bought a few of them, too).

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

@Pat Puma and @jbird210 i would of posted that when i got the rockwell and have tried many combos since then.. now i have settled on plate 5 as my daily driver and cant emphasize how happy i am with the shaves i get from this razor. i dont change mid shave either. Havnt tried plate 6 yet but intend to do so soon.

As for blades i have tried both the feather and persona platinum and they are both excellent. I do have a couple of GSB so might chuck one of these in next and give it a go
To be honest, the Rockwell has gotten along well with every blade I've put in it.

To be honest, the Rockwell has gotten along well with every blade I've put in it.

I've found that to be the case for the most part, as well. The only exception so far with a Permashap super that felt better in the 34c, but that was still in the early stages of when I was just starting out with the 6c, and using the R3 plate, which I found later was not my fav plate, so I'll have to give those blades another shot in the rockwell.

I just had a shave using a schick blade, which I did not like in the 34c at all, but had a perfectly nice shave in the rockwell using plates R4/R2.

I love my 6C. Love it. But it has one little quirk that bothers me only slightly. One side of the head is more aggressive than the other. Not by a lot, but enough that I can notice it. Say I'm using the #4 plate, one side would be a #4 (an arbitrary number, I know) and the other side would be a #4.25-4.5. Just enough to notice. This bothers me sometimes and comes in handy sometimes. No love lost for this razor, I would buy one again.

I've actually noticed this too, on plate 3 more so than any other. I got it as good as I can get by putting in the blade and cap then using my thumb on one end and applying pressure as I tighten. It seems for me, it aligns best that way. Over all I'm very happy with this razor it just gives great shaves.

I've actually noticed this too, on plate 3 more so than any other. I got it as good as I can get by putting in the blade and cap then using my thumb on one end and applying pressure as I tighten. It seems for me, it aligns best that way. Over all I'm very happy with this razor it just gives great shaves.
Alignment seems to be an issue with every razor in that if there wasn't a certain amount of play around the posts then we'd never get the blade on the cap.
"Whack it on!" I say, unless it seems to be wildly off (which imho it seldom is).
As you are screwing the handle in place fine adjustments can be made with the tabs at either end of the blade (which is stating the obvious - forgive me).
The Rockwell 6c is without doubt the finest DE I have used...apart from the OC plate on the Piccolo...or a WSC with a very sharp blade in it...
Clearly ymmv. But we're all on a daily learning curve.
Edit: Sometimes it can be how the blade's holes are, rather than the razor's acceptance of them.

Last edited:
I love my 6C. Love it. But it has one little quirk that bothers me only slightly. One side of the head is more aggressive than the other. Not by a lot, but enough that I can notice it. Say I'm using the #4 plate, one side would be a #4 (an arbitrary number, I know) and the other side would be a #4.25-4.5. Just enough to notice. This bothers me sometimes and comes in handy sometimes. No love lost for this razor, I would buy one again.

Exactly also mine. What you done? Requested another top cap from Rockwell?

I've discussed the problem with Kristine from Rockwell and she seemed eager to help, but then communication stopped. I've sent a few follow up emails but have not heard back in a week. I'll try again after the long weekend, Thanksgiving (Canada). She seemed to think this problem was very rare, although it doesn't seem to be as rare as she let on. I'm ok with the razor either way, and would buy it again.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

The problem is they are made in China....from here comes the quality problems. My Feather AS-D2 in comparation with 6S...is made with rocket sience! Perfect aligment under microscope, perfect coating....everything is perfect!
Too bad that a SS razor had so many problems.

The problem is they are made in China....from here comes the quality problems. My Feather AS-D2 in comparation with 6S...is made with rocket sience! Perfect aligment under microscope, perfect coating....everything is perfect!
Too bad that a SS razor had so many problems.
The Rockwell site states that the 6s is made in the USA. That is the stainless version and I have had no issues with mine. The blade loads evenly and there is no feeling with any of the settings that one side is more aggressive than the other. The 6c says "designed in Canada", but makes no statement about where it is made, so you may be right about that one being made in China.

The 6S is made in the USA (for now), the 6C in China.

However, there are just as many (if not more) QC issues with the 6S as with the 6C.

Thankfully, Rockwell stands behind its products (or at least it did in my case when I got a faulty 6S top cap). So the razor may not be right first time, but the company has a good track record of making up for it.

I’ve been DE shaving for about 5 years now and I’ve owned the Rockwell 6S since the initial production issues were tamed. I’ve used it ever since. No other razor compares, for me. Astra SP and R2 plate for my 3+ pass shave. I have no experience with the 6C, but the 6S changed my shave game.

I stated before that I had a small gap issue with my 6C but Rockwell was going to make it right. Unfortunately they have done nothing to correct the problem, almost three months from first contact. They say they have sent out the replacement parts twice, but the first time they sent it to the wrong address and the second one is lost in the mail or something with them unable to provide a valid tracking number. Their loss, I was going to order a model t and a 6S for myself for Christmas, but since they can't seem to find my mailbox I ordered a Rex Ambassador instead. I stated in a previous post that I would buy a 6C again, but after my experience with their customer service I take that back. Three months is long enough to make things right and I don't feel that Rockwell has.

I stated before that I had a small gap issue with my 6C but Rockwell was going to make it right. Unfortunately they have done nothing to correct the problem, almost three months from first contact. They say they have sent out the replacement parts twice, but the first time they sent it to the wrong address and the second one is lost in the mail or something with them unable to provide a valid tracking number. Their loss, I was going to order a model t and a 6S for myself for Christmas, but since they can't seem to find my mailbox I ordered a Rex Ambassador instead. I stated in a previous post that I would buy a 6C again, but after my experience with their customer service I take that back. Three months is long enough to make things right and I don't feel that Rockwell has.

After your experience with the REX, you won't even want that 6C!

And the REX is cheaper than the Model T and the 6S together, so thank you Rockwell for saving me money.

wow.. i just checked here an the rex in AU is worth $339.. i personally could not bring myself to spend that much on a razor

and from what i have read about the T i would never bother investing in it.. the game changer is on my radar good price and all stainless

Top Bottom