What's new

Is it just me?, no love for the Rockwell 6 C!

Just a question please.

Do the blade tabs go out of the cap in the 6c or 6s?

Is the blade exposed on the sides?

It’s when you put a blade in a razor and if the edges of the blade protrude slightly over the razor top cap. Most razor top caps allow the blade ends or “tabs” to be exposed. But some completely cover the blade ends.

excuse my ignorance but when you say edges do you mean the sharp edges that you cut with or the blunt short edges you handle the razor with?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
If you find you get more irritation as gap increases, you may have solved your problem.

Only speaking personally, less gap gives me a more comfortable shave and more blade exposure a more efficient and closer shave. Some of my razors can take 4+ full passes, others less passes for the same level of BBS finish.

My Gillette NEW SC for example with a Polsilver blade gives me a BBS shave in 2 1/2 passes. Beyond 3 passes with it and a lesser blade for the same BBS finish and my irritation grows quickly. The NEW SC has a very modest .023" gap.

On the other hand my Fatip Grande, with a Kai blade and 4 full passes, all done directly ATG, for the same BBS finish and I had no irritation whatsoever. The Fatip has virtually no gap.

My razor choices have progressively moved to, first, more rigid designs, then less gap and more blade exposure over the last year.

Personally, I like exposed blade tabs. If there's absolutely any blade "wiggle room", they aid in maintaining blade alignment when screwing down the handle. It's not like they protrude a lot.

Personally, I like exposed blade tabs. If there's absolutely any blade "wiggle room", they aid in maintaining blade alignment when screwing down the handle. It's not like they protrude a lot.

this is an excellent point.. cheers

thanks everyone for your replies

I’ve had my 6C for a couple of weeks and I love it. Astra blades with plate 2 gives me a great 3 pass shave. Resent,y tried a feather in it and was not a fan. I like the 6C so much I might even sell all my vintages as I can’t see myself using them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

so i finally got my 6C, chucked in a new persona blue blade and started on plate 4.. wow is all i an say for smoothness.

I reckon plate 4 was more efficient than the DE89, and super smooth.. So smooth in fact i went a bit beserk and suffering some mild razor burn. Did first pass WTG, 2nd XTG and was so impressed i then did two ATG and a final touch pass which was really a light going over again. So really 5 passes

Another thing is the shave just felt so smooth and safe I was shaving without concentrating on technique at all, which i also reckon added to the minor razor burn i feel right now

will give my face a day to recover fully so will revisit in two days..

quick question for all the experienced rockwell users out there.. I never change plates during the shave, do you guys recommend i go up in base plate size (or down) as the growth is reduced to achieve BBS? and when should i be changing? ie after the first or second pass?

Thanks. I hoped for the contrary.

I am finding that the exposed blade tabs are a criteria for me on choosing a new razor.

Search must go on!
I hear ya, but I will say there is far less tab exposure on the Rockwell than on many other razors, really only a slight amount. Funny how opinion differs on this. I seem to recall one of the online shaving gurus doesn't like razors that don't have tab exposure. But it isn't a major issue either way for me.

It's been a wonderfully busy summer for me, so I haven't spent much time here on B&B, and haven't posted in a while. This thread caught my attention tonight, so here's my two cents. Over the past two years, I have been enjoying very nice shaves with Merkur, Maggard's, Edwin Jagger, Elite, and Rockwell razors --- each one well matched to a specific blade which works quite well for me and my face. All allowing for smooth, comfortable, irritation-free shaves, and all a pleasure to use. But one razor seems to consistently stand out as the "easiest" to use, and seems to glide over my face and neck as if it were on "cruise control" --- my Rockwell 6C. Paired with a Gillette Nacet, on plate 4 for daily shaving and plate 5 or 6 for a two or three day growth, this Rockwell 6C -- Nacet combination is sublime.

Is it too much bothering if someone could measure the exposed tabs endings of the blade on the sides please?

The reason I say is that for example Fatip Grande has them too, but never have a problem with it. I do have with Slim though.

Thank you

Last edited:
Is it too much bothering if someone could measure the exposed tabs endings of the blade on the sides please?

The reason I say is that for example Fatip Grande has them too, but never have a problem with it. I do have with Slim though.

Thank you

measured mine today, i would say it is between .8mm - 1mm

went plate 4 again today, this time i didnt chase the BBS dream and focused on technique and restricted myself to a 3 pass shave. didnt get to BBS but quite close but the main thing was no razor burn and one of the smoothest shaves i have had to date

for me there is lots of love for my 6C

Thank you
If you don't like exposed tabs, you might want to look at the RazoRock Gamechanger. I like my 6C, but I get shaves that are just as close and comfortable as Plate 5 on my 6C from the Gamechanger.

Top Bottom