What's new

Is clothing or grooming a requirement to define a gentleman?

Is clothing or grooming a requirement to define a Gentleman?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Edit:

It's been my opinion from the start that you and I agree that it's not a requirement. I think we both believe that people who can't afford to dress, like the upper end of society, would be good if they did their best.
In retrospect i been saying that all along, but you had a slight disagreement which led me to ask for you to make the poll. Also, i said that they would be conforming to a gentleman status, not just be good as you are stating.

Edit:

I had a different post here, but realized that it would probably end up with you telling me that's not what you mean, so I'm going to try a different approach.
There is nothing that i have changed, What i mean is what i mean, i dont beat around the bush. i am just a regular Joe with straight up questions or answers.....what you see is what you get. i been sticking to my same answer and opinion since the beginning..

You haven't answered this one

Granted, I didn't specifically quote you but I think it's obvious who I'm talking to considering you have the second most number of posts at 33 in this thread, to my 46, with the next closest person is at 9.
Well, that is because half the others that you replied to actually gave up due to obvious reasons. I however felt that i was responsible for you to start this thread so i should at least indulge you.

Yes, But as i stated recently. you worded the poll in a way to favor your outcome. I said if the person can afford it to dress properly...... your poll doesn't mention that. Your question Is-clothing-or-grooming-a-requirement-to-define-a-gentleman----- is geared to persuade a straight no answer since it seems that answering yes would entail certain unfairness or unsympathetic thinking due to many economic factors that depends on proper dress and groom. The different wording would have fairly balanced decision and voting.
Such as
Is-clothing-or-grooming-a-requirement-to-define-a-gentleman if the person can afford it?

I didn't word it to favor anything, I made it a simple yes or no answer. The only thing you have issue with is the apparent number of men who can afford nice clothes, and for some reason don't buy them. I think the number is infinitesimal, and you apparently think it's so high that we have to start a poll question so that everybody knows that that is an issue that i'm somehow skirting.

I believe that the whole poll would have a turn around since the issue at hand would have a broader audience with an insight to the question.

Give it a shot. I would imagine you would get the same questions as to how many wealthy people actually dress poorly on purpose, there as well.

In retrospect i been saying that all along, but you had a slight disagreement which led me to ask for you to make the poll. Also, i said that they would be conforming to a gentleman status, not just be good as you are stating.

And I've been saying all along that if you're willing to let poor people qualify based on their economic status when it comes to clothing choices, then wealthy people don't have to go above and beyond theirs either.

You can always posted on another forum if it pleases you.:thumbup1:

Why would I make a thread in the Hab here. If they can't be bothered to leave their forum and answer a question that is clearly on the new posts page, why would I hold their hand?

I believe that obsessing over your clothing and its acceptance or rejection by the people around you indicates a sense of insecurity and inferiority. Myself, I outgrew that by the time that I was 30 -- the first time that I had a prospective employer ask me, "What would you need to come to work for us?" It affirmed my belief that substance counted for a lot more than flash.

i have basically the same perspective and the same answer all the time, but you keep nitpicking at it and it becomes a whole different issue within the topic. It seems to take away from your inquiry.

I'm not nitpicking it, I've essentially asked you two different questions

1. How can you judge someones wealth if you have never met them and are seeing them for the first time, whatever clothing they have on at the time.
2. How many people fit the " I dress worse than I could monetarily on purpose"?

Although I haven't received a satisfactory answer to the first one, and you just completely blow off the second, it doesn't keep me from trying.

Well, that is because half the others that you replied to actually gave up due to obvious reasons. I however felt that i was responsible for you to start this thread so i should at least indulge you.

Or, maybe they saw the light and came over to our side. I don't see how defending the majority view is so polarizing.

Top Bottom