What's new

Is clothing or grooming a requirement to define a gentleman?

Is clothing or grooming a requirement to define a Gentleman?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Your words that started this Chris:

If you're telling me that those same acts and kindness are subject and dependent on wardrobe choices, I can't agree with that. Who decides what is proper attire? In my world, a gentleman is defined by what he does regardless of how he chooses to look. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/444510-Pimps-vs-Gentlemen/page8

I said that from the point of view of the bulk of society. My point was most all of us dress the best we can, according to our economic status. You seem to be the only person who thinks everyone does except for the wealthy. It's my opinion that there are many different styles that fit the gentleman mold, not just what the rich can afford, not choose to afford, but what the bulk of society sees as normal clothing. Why normal clothing? Because they just don't care about it enough to place a high standard on it anymore. I never needed a poll to tell me that, I see it in real life. I never said it was right, I just said that's the way it is, in this current time for the majority of us. could it change in the future? maybe.

Last edited:
Look Alex, if you want to convince me that there is some kind of image to uphold, you're going to have to explain how that doesn't equate to a requirement, be it clothing or money. You're also going to have to give me some kind of list that explains exactly what that image entails, who it applies to, and who gets left out.
I tried to ask you that

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...t-to-define-a-gentleman?p=7231040#post7231040

Didn't get an answer for that one either.

Good Lord, how can either of you think you aren't nitpicking? This has become less of a productive discussion and more of a private conversation between two people seemingly debating/arguing what shade of blue the sky is. You want my take? A true gentleman defines people by who they are, not what they look like, and a gentleman would not be so arrogant as to think that they should decide what is or is not the proper appearance, regardless of economic standing.

A gentleman is what you are, not what you look like. The rest is just snobbery, plain and simple, IMHO. In any event, this discussion has grown so tiresome as to be drawing complaints. Perhaps the most ungentlemanly act of all is to judge others based on appearance, not actions.

I can accept that Steve. All I was trying to do is explain how most of society sees that word, and the context of how they use it in our current time, I kept getting quoted, so I kept trying, and although it's possible that Alex may not consider me a friend after this, or may have never considered me one at all, I consider him a friend. I saw our conversation and debate as two guys sitting around a campfire a couple glasses deep into the dirty water. I also know that those kind of conversations don't play well in a public forum, so I apologize for that. It doesn't change my views of the "gentleman" discussion in any way, but I will let it go.

I can accept that Steve. All I was trying to do is explain how most of society sees that word, and the context of how they use it in our current time, I kept getting quoted, so I kept trying, and although it's possible that Alex may not consider me a friend after this, or may have never considered me one at all, I consider him a friend. I saw our conversation and debate as two guys sitting around a campfire a couple glasses deep into the dirty water. I also know that those kind of conversations don't play well in a public forum, so I apologize for that. It doesn't change my views of the "gentleman" discussion in any way, but I will let it go.
Well, it seems that we somehow agree.....I still consider you a friend too.:thumbup1:

Top Bottom