What's new

Is BBS "a chase" for you?

BBS is...

• easy to get, given the proper technique & prep

Votes: 88 76.5%
  • impossible to get without irritation

Votes: 27 23.5%

• Total voters
The one variable in the BBS chasing is that everyone's skin and stubble are very different. Some people have well behaved stubble that goes in a consistent direction for each section of their shave. And for those people, yes, good prep and proper technique can yield a BBS on a regular basis. However, for me, i have a couple of spots on my neck where the hairs swirl in a circle pattern, and lay flat to the skin in some spots. I have been at this a long time. I have a lot of high end and vintage razors. And I know how to prep and practice proper technique. But there are just those days where no matter how hard i go at it, and no matter how much I buff and j-hook and work all those trouble spots, I cant get them totally clean. So even though I get a BBS result on 95% of my face, I normally will still have a few little rough patches when I rub against the grain in those trouble spots. When I measure a BBS, I use the cotton ball test. Take a cotton ball and rub it on your face in all 4 directions. If any cotton gets pulled, even a little, its not a true BBS result. Every once is a while, all the stars align, and I can get a true BBS. One way to potentially get there for me is with a Charcoal Goods Level 3 razor and a really sharp blade. But I can not use that all the time, as my skin will get sensitive to multiple uses of a razor with that much blade feel. So do I chase the BBS? Not every day. But, I have been know to spend lots of time and money in the pursuit of it. Do I care if I dont get it? Not really. But when I achieve a true cotton ball tested BBS, its a thing of beauty, because it is such a rare occurrence for me.
The way I recall measuring a true BBS shave was the cotton ball test as well. Now, I get close shaves almost every day (8 to 9 out of 10), and great shaves (9 plus out of 10) many days, but rarely could pass the cotton ball test in every nook and cranny of my aging countenance and saggy neck (10 of 10). It's wonderful when it happens, and I did shave to that level consistently for a while and rarely had much irritation. That happened after working on perfecting all my technique, whether a DE, SE, or straight was in hand. In technique, I include proper lathering with a good cream or soap, and the pre and post shave items. I just try to do the best I can each day with a reasonable amount of effort while focusing on the highest possible enjoyment level and removing as much stubble as comfort allows. I've learned when irritation is looming and that's the point I wrap up the shave and call it a day; there will always be tomorrow until the day there isn't.

For me it is a chase that I'm not interested in participating in. To achieve it requires more effort than I really want to put into it. I can get 95% of it with no issue and that's fine with me. However sometimes I do decide to get it so I go through the routine I've developed that produces it.

Now that's my face ... your face is different and your tolerances are not mine so I don't spend much time worrying about it. If some people can get it with 3 passes that is great.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
BBS is easy to get, given the proper technique & prep. Of course, it is also impossible to get without irritation. So I vote 'Yes.'
The odds do go up as you receive a BBS of some irritation, we are scraping & cutting whiskers & skin very close to get a nice shave but I have received some BBS shaves with not much at all irritation or weepers but those BBS shaves usually don't last that long either in hours.
To have a face that has no blemishes or bumps is another thing that has to happen also to get a perfect shaves because the blade will snip the tops off usually so getting a perfect shave happens not as frequent IMO. I shave daily over the years maybe the skin gets conditioned to become a very flatter surface??

I have a beard and only shave my neck which has always been hard to do. I aim for less irritation over close shave every time. Mapping my beard helped a lot because ATG is a bad idea. I try to learn more with every shave.

I'm very lucky I guess. I get bbs results every shave, no chasing, no irritation. It was most of the time until I switched to using vintage blades only. I go months sometimes between weepers as well. Lucky.

My next 2 cents...

I get the feeling that my definition of BBS is perhaps different from a - possible - general definition, in particular reading Polarbeards repl:

My understanding is that BBS is a state in which you feel no "micro-stubble" at all after a shave, no matter in which direction your finger passes your face. This is hardly reachable for me as I have some grooves, in particular in the neck region, which I have not yet managed to straighten such that a complete removal of all (micro-)stubble is possilbe - which is my lack of technique. But there is quite a margin between this and the definition of not hurting someone while hugging.

How do you define BBS?
My definition of BBS is the same as yours; when I can massage my face rather hard with my finger tips without feeling any trace of stubble. Generally it feels a bit like rubber. Having stated that, if I want to hug someone I really do hug them... hard. Then again I don't generally hug people as a social way of saying hello. I believe a good hands shake is better, and if I kiss someone it's definitely very personal and not in the air by the ear.

If you shave with a straight razor (I do) it's much easier to "dig out" all the small places where the stubble is hard to get to. Over the years I've learned where those spots are and how to get to them.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I like Fayiz D. post #7, with the understanding that I'm only talking about my face. It's the only one I ever shave, and I'm not sure it's as easy on every face.

My definition of BBS is the same as yours; when I can massage my face rather hard with my finger tips without feeling any trace of stubble. Generally it feels a bit like rubber. Having stated that, if I want to hug someone I really do hug them... hard. Then again I don't generally hug people as a social way of saying hello. I believe a good hands shake is better, and if I kiss someone it's definitely very personal and not in the air by the ear.

If you shave with a straight razor (I do) it's much easier to "dig out" all the small places where the stubble is hard to get to. Over the years I've learned where those spots are and how to get to them.
I wish I could shave with a SR/shavette as good as I can with SE razors. I can get glass-smooth BBS on my cheeks with a straight, but certain parts of my neck, on the sides of my Adam's apple are impossible to get at the same angle as I get to those spots with - say - the Vector, due to the direction of the growth.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I almost always have BBS, but different razors and blades affect how hard it is to achieve. Paradoxically to some, extremely mild razors may take more work, leading to the possibility of irritation. My current combo gets the desired result with three passes, minimal to no buffing, and no irritation, but not everyone is so fortunate.

I almost always have BBS, but different razors and blades affect how hard it is to achieve. Paradoxically to some, extremely mild razors may take more work, leading to the possibility of irritation. My current combo gets the desired result with three passes, minimal to no buffing, and no irritation, but not everyone is so fortunate.
I share your sentiment, as it happened to me a few times with very mild razors. No matter how many passes/strokes there was always some stubble left and so I'd go over and over and over and over and over (you get the picture, right?) and over it to no avail. For me razors that are 6-7 on the 1-10 scale are ideal.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I share your sentiment, as it happened to me a few times with very mild razors. No matter how many passes/strokes there was always some stubble left and so I'd go over and over and over and over and over (you get the picture, right?) and over it to no avail. For me razors that are 6-7 on the 1-10 scale are ideal.
I do not know where it falls on the scale, but for me the ATT SSR1 with a Crystal is perfection.

Definitely a catch 22. To buff or not to buff. So I compromise and buff just the worst. A little too much and irritation comes.

Definitely a catch 22. To buff or not to buff. So I compromise and buff just the worst. A little too much and irritation comes.
Actually not at all.

Prep + Technique + Right Gear = no irritation. Ever.

I buff all the time, every single shave, last irritation was months ago, when I was testing a new razor/blade combo and went a little "too confident".

Top Bottom