BBS is...

• easy to get, given the proper technique & prep

Votes: 88 76.5%
  • impossible to get without irritation

Votes: 27 23.5%

• Total voters

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I get 90% BBS consistently with no irritation. I use straight razors and ARKO and never do no more than two passes and rarely touch up. Im completely satisfied with that.

Will a visit to a high class barber salon give you a BBS shave? I don't think so. Their more interested in customer comfort and satisfaction, without nicks or irritation, for repeat custom. Invariably it will be a single pass WTG pass, perhaps with a few touch ups. In fact, on many barber salon websites there are often tutorials on 'How to Shave' where they don't advise any other pass except WTG.

I can’t chase a bbs without irritation. I have always had sensitive reactions to shaving, lots of ingrown hairs, etc. I used an electric razor in my younger days and started carefully using a cartridge razor later with some success (as in, less irritation and ingrowns). Most of my adulthood I have simply trimmed everything that was not part of my beard with a beard trimmer or pair of clippers. I enjoy wet shaving and have had a few starts and stops and I’m still working on technique but my skin just doesn’t like the chase. I keep a beard and have no trouble getting bbs on my cheeks but my neck is very tricky. If I get it bbs one day it’s full of ingrowns the next.

I have never achieved a BBS. I have come close, but, there are inevitably stubble ATG in the spots where my hair grows weird on my neck in swirls, and around my mouth. It is probably poor technique. I have been getting closer, but, I usually have light irritation on my neck, where I try very hard to get it right.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I don't really try to reach a BBS but it comes easier for myself because I know my routine, know my whiskers grain direction and just use 2 passes with a touch ups. I'm usually in DFS,BBS range most of the time and that is a great shave spot for myself. This morning I cranked out a nice shave and had to cotton ball test and it indicated very good shave= BBs.
Prep is important for a good shaves also, a few minutes of brush face wash with CeraVe hand bar cleanser seems to work well, I even did a shave with this mild soap once, heavy load recommended and it worked OK(it kicks up a lather with a brush like no other soaps). Gillette did study's years ago and conclude to defoliate your face of oils, dirt and skin flakes.
Then for last application after completing shave and applying my Aftershave I like to apply a dollop of Good balm like CeraVe moisturizer lotion balm or Nivea sensitive balm dollop with a few drops of Hyaluronic Acid rubbed together and that makes a great face feel about 1/2-1 hr later.
The balm traps moisture in the top skin layers expanding the skin layers a little with the roots of whisker that are deeper seems to bury the whiskers to give the feeling of a BBS or close to it. The perfect shave for myself is DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:it don't get much better other than a BBS and that can cause issues for some folks with skin irritations.
I'm lucky I can shave ATG with out to many issues and that is the money pass for a BBS. It took a long while of shaving to figure the best kind of shaving methods to get a great shave consistently.
Don't chase the BBS it will come to you every once in a while.
Z-CeraVe shave products .jpg
81zafpd-pAL._SL1500_.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Top Bottom