What's new

Introducing safety razor shaving to a teenager

Young people like the cost saving aspect, especially if you give them a good razor and some supplies to start out with.

A lot of them like the idea that there is less plastic waste and things getting thrown away to the landfill.

If they are interested in history, there is the nostalgia aspect they may like.

Some like the idea of using tools and developing skill with them.

Hold on... He STARTED with an R41? You wanna talk about jumping into the deep end!

Let me amend that. That's as if your first swim was cliff diving from 100 ft up. And you're not sure about the depth of the water. But you know you've seen sharks in it.

He's lucky his first venture into wet shaving didn't end with a trip to the emergency room! Or, at least to Red Cross to donate blood.

-MO
When I first started dating my current girlfriend, and after we progressed to 'that point', I stayed over at her place for the first time. I went into the hall bathroom to brush my teeth and there sat a Muhle R41 on the counter. I was pretty much stunned to see a DE razor in her house because her son was only 15! I was pretty impressed because I didn't start using one until I hit about 40 (6 years before this time)... I've since given him all kinds of different blades to try and he ended up liking the Feathers best (of course). Good kid... I would have no reservations with showing/teaching a teen how to shave using a DE razor. Wish someone would have taught or even showed me what a DE razor was back when I was a teen.

First, congratulations on being able to ‘discuss’ this with your step-son! :thumbup1::thumbup1:

I would start by explaining why you enjoy ’traditional’ wet shaving. Then, gauge his interest. Best to ‘soft sell.’

I recently got my 19 year old son to switch over to using a Merkur 34. I actually found a deal on a G and asked him to try my shaving technique. He got a clean shave and noticed no irritation. He loves the cool scents of some soaps (Murphy McNeil barbershop 2 is his favorite and the new wholly kaw hiatus). I gave him a few blades to try and he is now officially a wet shaver. He moves back to college in a week and is taking that up with him.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
For a first razor, I gave my 16-year-old grandson a Fatip Grande. I showed him how to load a blade and told him to take it home and experiment. He asked me if it was dangerous. I told him, don't worry it's a safety razor, it's right in the name. His nickname for his Fatip is the hacksaw. I also have given him Thai chilis and salty Dutch licorice. He has to learn sometimes. He calls me evil grandpa. :devil:

P.S. He now shaves with a Fatip, likes spicey hot foods, and loves double salt licorice.

Last edited:
As noted in my check-in I started with a straight at university under the tutelage of a faculty advisor.

If I reflect on those first few years a couple of interesting social elements come to light:
  1. I attended university some distance from home and that relationship helped me through some rough patches, but also opened new doors in music, quality drink (coffee/tea/bourbon), and sparked an interest in experience. A "go try something" sort of mentality. We still correspondence some fifteen years on.
  2. My friends didn't get it, which amused me. It was dangerous, it was something their grandfathers did. It was slow and tedious for a while. It was also exotic and I think there was a bit of jealousy.
  3. Girls seemed to love it. It was dangerous (not -that- dangerous, but certainly has an aura when you don't know). I was able to talk about moisturizers, and toners, and scent; sandalwood, lavender, citrus. It made me unique. It required attention, and focus, and caring for your tools. At the time I didn't assemble the pieces, but these are qualities my partner appreciates in me today.
  4. For me, I got a better shave. I got a few minutes to myself, I saved a substantial sum (my first kit was a gift from said advisor), and I took pride in something. I had pride in me.
Maybe your stepson is able to find some of the same, or find something truly his own if you help him open that door to a new experience.

I don't believe there is any harm in just straight (ha, razor pun) up asking.

Will be watching to see how it goes.

-Poet

Todays young people love online videos and most are environmentally conscious. I would ask him if he likes those things and if he answers yes, you have an inroad to online shaving videos (youtube) to learn how to shave, as well as the benefit of a lifetime safety razor versus wasteful cartridge and disposable razors (Henson site). I would also show him a few shaving soaps and aftershaves, and ask him for his opinion and likes of the ones you share with him. You can get an idea of whether he likes or dislikes scents at all. Some of todays kids do not like any scented products. If he gets excited about the variety of scents, that would be good. I have introduced several young shavers this way, and given away several Henson Mild AL13 razors. The Henson was designed for new shavers as well as transitional cartridge/disposable shavers to DE safety razors (nearly impossible to cut yourself, since the angle is set into the razor). Also, the kids who have never been exposed to scents other than the soaps/aftershaves/perfumes their parents use...go crazy when they open up my collection of sink/bath/shaving soaps and aftershaves/fragrances.

Wow! Some absolutely great advice in this thread! I'm figuring, a complete kit - I don't need to list the whole thing, since we all know what I'll get - could be a great birthday present for me to him. Especially since he's a college now, and this could be something different. Of course, maybe he wouldn't want to spend a long time shaving in a shared dormitory bathroom.

What kind of the approaches for our introductory talk have been ones I would never have considered. So many thanks for those.

-MO

What kind of the approaches for our introductory talk have been ones I would never have considered. So many thanks for those.

I realize now I rambled about my experience, but didn't answer your question, which begs a different question.

We (I) know very little about Seth. That's okay, but I would ask if there are parallels you can draw between his current interests and wet shaving?
  • Is he into fashion and appearance
  • Does he like fixing, maintaining, tinkering (cars, motorcycles, bicycles)
  • Does he hunt/fish/cook and already has an affinity for a well honed blade
  • Does he build gaming computers and is always searching for better (B&B rabbit hole)
  • Perhaps most important, does he want (know how) to connect with you, and have you told him you would like to connect with him
The most effective approach is likely one that intersects (perhaps abstractly) with something he already enjoys.

The best thing anyone ever did for me was ask and listen.

Questions not asked are rarely answered.

All the best MO,

-Poet

@Raven Koenes You need to be exorcised 😆

the exorcist father merrin GIF

As of now, here's the kit the Major plans to give his stepson:

Vikings Blade Chieftain Jr.*
Proraso Red pre-shave
Proraso Red shaving soap bowl
Phoenix Accoutrements Doppler Shaving Brush
Wilkinson Sword blades*

He already has a face soap recommended by his doc, and a bottle of the exact Nivea Men sensitive skin aftershave that the Major was going to get him anyhoo.

Thoughts?

- MO

* This is the same razor + blades that the Major first used himself. Plus, the razor is noted as a mild shave, which is perfect for a beginner.

My wife’s youngest brother recently graduated from high school. On a few family outings, I had introduced him to wet shaving and let him try whichever razor I had with with me, so he was exposed to the real differences. As a graduation present I gifted him a Gamechanger 68 with a brush, bowl, and soap from razorock, along with a decent amount of Astra SPs and a blade sampler. We’ve had plenty of conversations since about blade preference, lather technique, and shave angles. It’s been a lot of fun sharing this with him. Maybe for his birthday next year I’ll gift him another razor to inoculate him with RAD!

All the items chosen look good, except my conscience forces me to say to please get a second brand of blades in case the Wilkies don’t agree with him. Out of the dozen or so blades I have tried only two (the Wilkie and the Bic) have I really hated.

As of now, here's the kit the Major plans to give his stepson:

Vikings Blade Chieftain Jr.*
Proraso Red pre-shave
Proraso Red shaving soap bowl
Phoenix Accoutrements Doppler Shaving Brush
Wilkinson Sword blades*

He already has a face soap recommended by his doc, and a bottle of the exact Nivea Men sensitive skin aftershave that the Major was going to get him anyhoo.

Thoughts?

- MO

* This is the same razor + blades that the Major first used himself. Plus, the razor is noted as a mild shave, which is perfect for a beginner.
If he's using a soap recommended by his doctor, you may want to find out why he needs to use such a soap first. Some shave soaps may react poorly with his skin if he has sensitive skin. That could scare him away from wet shaving.

That said, there are plenty of shave soaps designed to be used by those with sensitive skin. IIRC, Cella green is one such soap. However, Proraso Red (and pretty much any soap with a scent) could trigger sensitive skin. You may want to do a search of shave soaps for sensitive skin before gifting your stepson a shave soap.

Top Bottom