What's new

interesting necktie knots

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
One of my customers works for a Gentlemans store here in my hometown. He's been there for 40 years so I can remember him from when I was a kid. He's a really neat guy. He has a short, wiry frame with a perfectly maintained mustache, and always dresses like I imagine people dressed in the early 1900's. Last time I was in I asked for a couple white dress shirts. He disappeared into the back and then came out with several options for me, and then asked what kind of tie I wear the most and which knot I used. I was embarrassed because I had no clue what kind of knot I used, but after reading through this thread I'll be ready for him next time I go in! :thumbup:

There are probably three knots that people use more than any, with one being probably far and away the most popular: The "four in hand". This is the standard "around, up and through" that many dads taught their sons early on:

The other two are the Half Windsor and the Full Windsor. The advantage of the Half/Full Windsor vs. the Four In Hand is that the Windsor pair yield a wider knot. On that basis, it is often considered a more formal knot, as opposed to the Four In Hand, which is a narrower knot and typically considered less formal. Please note that "more" and "less" are relative, and the type of tie you're using, all other things equal, will also play into it.

For myself, I use a Four In Hand for social occasions. I use the Half Windsor for interviews and business functions.

Last edited by a moderator:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I cant believe how easy the 4 in hand is. I just watched a video on the trinity knot- looks great with a striped tie.

Need to try that Eldredge knot - it just looks too cool not to give it a shot.

Read an article on ties the other day that espoused only using the four in hand not nowadays in place of the Windsor and half Windsor. I just can't abide the four in hand knot - just knot for me.

3 uncommon knots I enjoy wearing are the Trinity, the Eldridge, and the Onasis. None are REALLY hard to tie, but they do require some patience and a good tutorial. There are some good tutorials on Youtube.

The Onasis is super simple to tie. It has, what I fell, is a modern look to it. YMMV

I absolutely LOVE the way the Trinity looks with a black tie that has a single pinstripe red line running through the center of it. (I just wish I could find a tie that looks like that. So far no luck.)

Last edited:
The four-in-hand is great when you're due in court in five minutes, you're seven minutes away, and you're tying it on while steering with your knees.

Or, y'know, so I've heard.

Never tied a bow tie but I've seen it done...looks complicated.

I looked at bazillions of web illustrations and vids before this one made it all click for me. Learn to tie it by practicing on your thigh! (Of course, it is a bit of a stretch after that to tie it around your neck in the mirror. But tying it on the thigh cements the knot in your mind.
http://www.blacktieguide.com/Style_Basics/Basics_Tying_a_bowtie.htm (See "Practice video" halfway down on right)
Mike

Top Bottom