What's new

interesting necktie knots

The most important part of tying the necktie's knot isn't the procedure for the knot itself, but the finishing procedure.

Once the steps have been completed, use the thumb and fore-finger of both hands to pull down the horizontal part of the tie (this was created in the second to last step of the knot, the last step being to put the wide-end through this horizontal part). Depending on one's preference, the wide part should either be straightened or creased at this point.* Next, grip the knot with one hand and pull the wide part down. This tightens the knot, causing it to look more triangular and more symmetrical (unless the knot is very assymetrical). Repeat the procedure until the knot is sufficiently tight that repeating the procedure doesn't affect the knot.

Note that this procedure also causes the wide part to be lengthened and the knot to move downward. Hopefully, though, moving the knot back to where it ought to be will correct the difference in length.

* If the straight look is desired, with the horizontal part pulled down, remove all folds from the wide part above the horizontal part. Then, remove all folds from the wide part below the horizontal part. Be sure, when pulling down to tightened, that no fold is allowed to be created. If the crease is desired, remove all folds from above the horizontal part and below, then pinch the wide part as it is pulled down.

Rather long winded and probably poorly explained: this is better demonstrated than written. I hope it helps in your endeavours.

Oh boy - I have moved away from the normal tie and have switched over to high quality bolo ties. I wear them with suits, sport coats, and even with my tux. They have the advantage of not having to button your top button, they don't go out of style, they can appreciate in value (unlike a silk tie and become an adult bib).

I have attached a photo of a very nice bolo - the good ones are really very nice.

Oh boy - I have moved away from the normal tie and have switched over to high quality bolo ties. I wear them with suits, sport coats, and even with my tux. They have the advantage of not having to button your top button, they don't go out of style, they can appreciate in value (unlike a silk tie and become an adult bib).

I have attached a photo of a very nice bolo - the good ones are really very nice.

They don't necessarily go into style either!:wink:

But I'm way up here in Boston, so what do I know about it? If someone wears a bolo around here it simply looks pretentious.

They don't necessarily go into style either!:wink:

But I'm way up here in Boston, so what do I know about it? If someone wears a bolo around here it simply looks pretentious.

I were them all over, I travel overseas, and around the country. You would be surprised at how many ladies will comment on what a nice - ummmmm what is that thing? ----- that's turquoise right? ------ or ------ that's really nice! But then we did show horses and I sort of got used to them, really hate a tie choking me to death, and well it does make a statement. Pretentious? Well, perhaps, but then again we are a group of people that shave with vintage razors, get imported shaving cream/soap, razors blades, all kinds of AD's so I guess one more will not kill me (or break me). Anyway, wearing them does support Native American artists, so I am supporting the arts - well that's my story and I am sticking to it! :wink2:

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
This page has a list of tutorials for ties and pocket squares. There is an interesting tie knot called the Merovingian after the character in the movie "The Matrix Reloaded".

Sheesh . . . what pencil necked geek came up with that one. I'd need an extra foot on my tie . . . I like my tie to hand down to my belt.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Bumping for Memory Lane Monday. I always do a double Windsor, even though it leaves the tail a bit short. Single Windsors are just too asymmetrical for my tastes. So, i know two knots, let's see some more.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
There's some wild knots out there now. The Linwood Taurus is pretty neat. I may try and learn that one tonight.

I love this thread. I've only learned the four in hand and the windsors (i like the triangle and have dismissed the four in hand as only suitable for knit ties). I'm going to have to try some of these.

Top Bottom