What's new

Info on Scuttles?

I've been noticing that Scuttles seem to be all the rage around here lately. What the hell is a scuttle and why are they so beneficial? I use a huge latte mug to make my lather, what makes a scuttle so good for shaving?

In a nutshell it is a bowl within a bowl. That space between the two is filled with hot water to keep your lather nice and warm. Some are designed to make a lather in while others hold a lathered brush.

A scuttle is a bowl-within-a-bowl. You put hot water in the space between the two bowls and you put your brush in the inside bowl. Some scuttles are large enough that you can build your lather in the inner bowl as well.

The nice thing about a scuttle is that it keeps your brush and lather warm between passes. The hot water warms your brush, but since it is not touching your brush it doesn't dilute your lather.

From Classicshaving.com website,

This traditional style of shaving scuttle became popular before the turn of the 20th Century when most homes did not enjoy hot running water. The bottom chamber of the scuttle was filled with hot water from the kitchen stove and carried to the bedroom shaving stand for use. After dipping the brush into the water in the bottom chamber it was then used on the soap cake held in the perforated soap dish on top to produce a lather. The perforations allowed excess water to drain back into the lower chamber preventing the soap from becoming softened. Still a practical method of maintaining adequate hot water at hand for the shave without having to waste water and energy by continual running.

Cheers

f you put that latte mug into your basin, stop the drain and add hot water (stopping before the water gets high enough to get into the mug) - voila: scuttle.

If you do a search for "ghetto scuttles" you'll see lot's of clever ways to keep your lather/brush warm with items you probably already own.

That said, after a couple months with a ghetto set up (which convinced me that warm lather was the bees knees), I bought a Dirty Bird brush scuttle, which I love, BTW.

I have a Moss scuttle, I use it everyday. It works well, and my wife likes the way it looks as it sits on the bathroom counter.

There are several scuttles out there...all a little different in size, shape, appearance, but essentially they all do the same thing.

The Moss Scuttle (and all the variations, see Moss Scuttles

The Georgetown Pottery G5 HERE
Georgetown Pottery also makes a brush scuttle (smaller than a regular scuttle, just to hold the brush in between passes, no lathering in this one).
HERE is a pic of both the Georgetown brush scuttle and the G5.

Robert Becker (on eBay) frequently has scuttle of various sizes/shapes HERE

Dirty Bird Pottery makes more than one style and size listed HERE

Irish Barber has a few listed on their website (for my brothers and sisters across the pond) HERE

Here's one I just found randomly on google Heimerdinger scuttle

For the ladies and gents in Germany and surrounding areas you have Schwarzweisskeramik

Or in Australia HG Pottery

Straight Razor Designs also sells some scuttles made by a local Medina, OH potter Here is one. They must be running out, there used to be several more listed on the website. You can also visit Imperial Shaving in Medina, OH (brick and mortar store of SRD) if you live close.

I think those all the ones I have bookmarked.

There are several scuttles out there...all a little different in size, shape, appearance, but essentially they all do the same thing.

The Moss Scuttle (and all the variations, see Moss Scuttles

The Georgetown Pottery G5 HERE
Georgetown Pottery also makes a brush scuttle (smaller than a regular scuttle, just to hold the brush in between passes, no lathering in this one).
HERE is a pic of both the Georgetown brush scuttle and the G5.

Robert Becker (on eBay) frequently has scuttle of various sizes/shapes HERE

Dirty Bird Pottery makes more than one style and size listed HERE

Irish Barber has a few listed on their website (for my brothers and sisters across the pond) HERE

Here's one I just found randomly on google Heimerdinger scuttle

For the ladies and gents in Germany and surrounding areas you have Schwarzweisskeramik

Or in Australia HG Pottery

Straight Razor Designs also sells some scuttles made by a local Medina, OH potter Here is one. They must be running out, there used to be several more listed on the website. You can also visit Imperial Shaving in Medina, OH (brick and mortar store of SRD) if you live close.

I think those all the ones I have bookmarked.

Thanks for the info. I hate that the really good ones are 50$. I want the DB but for 54$, it's making me think twice which is why Im leaning toward the G5 since it's listed as cheaper plus it has a cool looking stopper to keep the heat in.

Thanks for the info. I hate that the really good ones are 50$. I want the DB but for 54$, it's making me think twice which is why Im leaning toward the G5 since it's listed as cheaper plus it has a cool looking stopper to keep the heat in.

You're welcome!

Factor in shipping as well.

Several scientifically minded members have tested heat retention as well...you'd do your self a favor to look that up.

Oh great. One more thing to obsess about.

For real, lol. I thought Wetshaving was supposed to save me money, LOL. Theres always something new to spend money on.

There is some more information here http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=171903&highlight=scuttle+heat+dirty. Comes up every year around this time ...

Thanks, for that link, Saved me the mistake of going with a G5. I think i'll just have to man up and just get the DB, which is the one I've wanted all along and from the reviews, it does the best for lathering AND heat retention. One question, which of the inner groove selections are better overall when ordering the DB 1.5, The regular lather ridges or the web-like lather ridges?

Not much more to be said.
I purchased a cobalt blue Moss Scuttle about 3 or 4 years ago.
I opted for the large scuttle. With creams you can simply squeeze a drop directly into the bowl and work up a good lather directly in the bowl. Be sure that the brush you choose to use with a scuttle can easily fill out the entire bowl. I actually use a 30mm brush most of the time in the large scuttle. I will use a slightly smaller brush, but it needs to fill out the bowl. I press down as I rotate the brush so that it is splayed out completely without crumpling the hairs. This will ensure that the brush remains as hot as possible between passes.
Enjoy!!!

Thanks for the information everyone. I just pulled the trigger and bought the DB 1.5 in Berry on Blue. Hopefully, Julie can get it to me fast.

I picked up a DB scuttle last month, am happy with the product and was VERY happy with the service. I work up much more lather with this one than with a plain bowl. I don't know the science behind it, but I think THE difference is due to the warmth (soap congeals in cold water and thins out in warm water), the size, and the ridges in the bottom helping entrain air.

Clearly, this is an indulgence, completely not justified. However, it does make lots of really nice lather that stays warm and feels great and a a big ego stroke.

I am waiting on one of those with the "webbed" bowl as well. Same size and color.

I couldnt figure out the difference between the 2 styles webbed and regular so I got regular. Unfortuantely, she is out of them for now and I gotta wait like 4 weeks for her to make a new one. :glare:

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
For real, lol. I thought Wetshaving was supposed to save me money, LOL. Theres always something new to spend money on.

Thanks, for that link, Saved me the mistake of going with a G5. I think i'll just have to man up and just get the DB, which is the one I've wanted all along and from the reviews, it does the best for lathering AND heat retention. One question, which of the inner groove selections are better overall when ordering the DB 1.5, The regular lather ridges or the web-like lather ridges?

The other way to do it is to buy each, one at a time, selling the old on BST before moving on to the new. I am on the third one now (thanks Sara) & think I have what I want

Top Bottom