What's new

Info on Scuttles?

I have both a G5 and a Robert Becker scuttle size medium. After I got my Robert Becker Scuttle, I stopped using my G5. I basically have it for a backup. The Robert Becker scuttle doesn't look as nice and the ceramic walls are not as thick, but it is much more functional. It retains heat much better. With the bigger size, it is much easier to build a lather.

The other way to do it is to buy each, one at a time, selling the old on BST before moving on to the new. I am on the third one now (thanks Sara) & think I have what I want

:lol::lol:Until you find something else you want which will replace what you thought you wanted!:lol::lol:

I used a traditional scuttle a couple of times but then switched to a modern scuttle. Mine is a Steve Woodhead scuttle made here in the UK. (see photo)
I purchased the smallest one he makes as i face lather and it's sole purpose is to keep my shaving brush warm between passes. I use it most days now.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Can you heat these ceramic scuttles in the microwave? Are they susceptible to cracking if you pour boiling water in them? I like how the microwave not only heats the water but also the vessel holding it and its safer than leaving gas stove unattended to boil water while in the shower.

Right now I use a pyrex measuring cup. I fill it with water, microwave it for a few minutes while I'm in the shower, I dump the water in another cup, and mix my lather in it.

I'm looking into a scuttle because it looks better than a measuring cup and would keep the lather warmer. One other concern I have about scuttle is that its large enough to mix a lather in it. My pyrex cup works well and its 4" wide at the top tapering down to 2" at the bottom and is 3.5" deep. I had my eye on either the Moss or the Dirty Bird.

Note I'm using a Edwin Jagger 1EJ947 Best Badger Brush and shave with a double edge razor in about 10 minutes.

Can you heat these ceramic scuttles in the microwave? Are they susceptible to cracking if you pour boiling water in them? I like how the microwave not only heats the water but also the vessel holding it and its safer than leaving gas stove unattended to boil water while in the shower.

Right now I use a pyrex measuring cup. I fill it with water, microwave it for a few minutes while I'm in the shower, I dump the water in another cup, and mix my lather in it.

I'm looking into a scuttle because it looks better than a measuring cup and would keep the lather warmer. One other concern I have about scuttle is that its large enough to mix a lather in it. My pyrex cup works well and its 4" wide at the top tapering down to 2" at the bottom and is 3.5" deep. I had my eye on either the Moss or the Dirty Bird.

Note I'm using a Edwin Jagger 1EJ947 Best Badger Brush and shave with a double edge razor in about 10 minutes.

I bought the DB 1.5 a few days ago and if you do decide to buy one, be prepared to wait. Julie sent me an email and she is out of them and has to make more. So be prepared for a 4-6 week wait.

Can you heat these ceramic scuttles in the microwave? Are they susceptible to cracking if you pour boiling water in them?

It's probably best to check with each maker. This is what Steve Woodhead says about the ones he makes:
You can happily pour boiling water into your scuttle, as well as re-heat in to boiling point in the microwave if you want.

I haven't seen similar claims to this for other scuttles, and it helped me choose his over a Schwarzweisskeramik one.

It's probably best to check with each maker. This is what Steve Woodhead says about the ones he makes:

I haven't seen similar claims to this for other scuttles, and it helped me choose his over a Schwarzweisskeramik one.
The problem is my tap water is warm not hot. I thought like a ceramic cup for tea/coffee it should be able to handle boiling water but apparently its more complex construction makes it susceptible to cracking. I would assume the simpler two piece design thats a bowl siting inside in a bowl should be able to handle it without cracking because there aren't any joints and there is room for expansion and contraction.
Schwarzweisskeramik disclaimer:
Never fill the cold scuttle with boiling water.

Normal stoneware ceramics can withstand temperature shocks, but when the object is assembled (as is the case with scuttles) a sudden high temperature rise can lead to cracks where the elements are joined.
Hot water from the tap (up to 70°C/160°F) is usually hot enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom