What's new

Indulgence of the Night Monday Jan 23 - Sunday Jan 29

ouch said:
I've been known to "indulge" every now and again. Last night was a bottle of Ch. Leoville-Las Cases,'82.
Hi Ouch,
I am a Medoc fan too.. I have 6 bottles of Chateau Leoville sitting and waiting.. If I recall, '92. In another year or so they ought to be coming into their own.:tongue_sm

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
guenron said:
Hi Ouch,
I am a Medoc fan too.. I have 6 bottles of Chateau Leoville sitting and waiting.. If I recall, '92. In another year or so they ought to be coming into their own.:tongue_sm

'92 was far from the best vintage, but Leoville-Las Cases almost always produces an exceptional wine. I don't think I'm alone in my belief that it is the finest wine in St.-Julien, including such notables as Ducru-Beaucaillou, Gruaud-Larose, Talbot, and Leoville-Barton.

I think you'll enjoy those bottles immensely.

Edited to add: By the way, it was the second best '82 I've tried, after the other-worldly Pichon Lalande. Both were better than any of the first growths that year. I tried them all, save the Petrus.

ouch said:
'92 was far from the best vintage, but Leoville-Las Cases almost always produces an exceptional wine. I don't think I'm alone in my belief that it is the finest wine in St.-Julien, including such notables as Ducru-Beaucaillou, Gruaud-Larose, Talbot, and Leoville-Barton.

I think you'll enjoy those bottles immensely.

Edited to add: By the way, it was the second best '82 I've tried, after the other-worldly Pichon Lalande. Both were better than any of the first growths that year. I tried them all, save the Petrus.
At what I paid for them, I am not too worried other than the space and time..:mellow: For a second cutting they are certainly pricey, but as I said in a year or so I shall learn if my patience was warranted.

guenron said:
Hi Ouch,
Great minds think alike. We have half a case of '86 aging to perfection. :smile:

ouch

Rik said:
Great minds think alike. We have half a case of '86 aging to perfection. :smile:

Despite what the "experts" at the Wine Spectator may say (perhaps they share tasting facilities with sister publication Cigar Aficianado, whose ratings are equally suspect), '86 was one of the best vintages of that extraordinary decade. Unbelievably, they rated the hard and fruitless '88s higher. Although the '82s garnered most of the acclaim- rightfully so- the 1986 vintage produced more great wines than either '85 or '89, two very fine vintages. This was particularly true for the left bank, where some real giants were produced in Pauillac and St.-Julien. Now twenty years old, they are first coming into their own. Enjoy!

Oh, yeah- the indulgence of the night: Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale. What a positively atrocious moniker for one of America's finest ales!

ouch said:
Oh, yeah- the indulgence of the night: Stone Brewery Arrogant Bastard Ale. What a positively atrocious moniker for one of America's finest ales!

Fine taste aside, it has one of the coolest bottles in beerdom.

ouch

Last night featured a lovely bottle from the world's finest producer of inexpensive wine, Jorge Ordonez. The Vina Alarba old vines is packed with rich, dark fruit and drinks like a $20 bottle. Bought by the case, it ran me a whopping four bucks a bottle. If you can't find it (see, there are some beneits to living in the NYC area), look for any of his other bottlings- Borsao, Borgia, and Vega Sindoa are all marvelous wines that can be had for a song.
Wine need not be expensive to be good.

Margaritas!

full

And played cards with the family...Crazy 8's, Old Maid, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
ouch said:
Last night featured a lovely bottle from the world's finest producer of inexpensive wine, Jorge Ordonez. The Vina Alarba old vines is packed with rich, dark fruit and drinks like a $20 bottle. Bought by the case, it ran me a whopping four bucks a bottle. If you can't find it (see, there are some beneits to living in the NYC area), look for any of his other bottlings- Borsao, Borgia, and Vega Sindoa are all marvelous wines that can be had for a song.
Wine need not be expensive to be good.
Agreed. Rarely do I spend over $10 a bottle. Our local vendor usually has a shopping cart full of $4 - $5 bottles that often are gems.

Tonight's indulgence is a glass of Lindemans 2002 Bin 40 Merlot. Needed to age a bit more but oh well, the bottle's open.

The old standard, Old Grandad, Martini & Rossi, Agnostura Bitters and Two Long-stemmed Maraschino Cherries play in Return of the Manhattan!

ouch

Rik- I've never been a huge fan of Lindemans' reds, but their Bin 65 Chardonnay is- year in and year out- one of the best values in white wines. I think they produce something on the order of a million and a half cases of it, so, needless to say, there is very little bottle variation. Great stuff.

AACJ's post looked so tempting, I had to break out the blender for a top shelf Margarita- El Tesoro de Don Felipe Silver, Cointreau, Grand Marinier, sugar and fresh lime- oofah!

ouch said:
Rik- I've never been a huge fan of Lindemans' reds, but their Bin 65 Chardonnay is- year in and year out- one of the best values in white wines. I think they produce something on the order of a million and a half cases of it, so, needless to say, there is very little bottle variation. Great stuff.

AACJ's post looked so tempting, I had to break out the blender for a top shelf Margarita- El Tesoro de Don Felipe Silver, Cointreau, Grand Marinier, sugar and fresh lime- oofah!
Thanks for the tip. I don't care for white wine. But I'll pick up some the next time we have guest over.

ouch

I'll agree that white wine has nowhere the stature and appeal of red, but the wimmen do seem to enjoy it. The Lindemans Bin 65 does the trick, and for a whole lot less than a bottle of Montrachet.
Americans are (excessively) enamored with Chardonnay, and tend to overlook the very best whites in the world- those from Alsace, Germany, and the Loire.

Top Bottom