What's new

"in original case"

Razors on ebay are a hot ticket item. I saw a few auctions the seller was clearly trying to get higher bids by mis labeling the auction.

I saw a lot of 3 razors claiming to be "mint condition Gillette Adjustables" when they were in fact Super Speeds. Apparently twist to open is a "KIND" of adjustment?

I think my RAD has been staved off by the slightly outlandish ebay bidding.

I saw a lot of 3 razors claiming to be "mint condition Gillette Adjustables" when they were in fact Super Speeds. Apparently twist to open is a "KIND" of adjustment?

Or people labeling something as fatboy? :lol:

There is a scan from a WWI khaki set I added to the wiki that explains if you want a more aggressive shave with the razor loosen the handle 1/4 turn... ah the famous 3 piece tech adjustable.

The sad thing about all of this is that there are actually people buying into to this BS, (folks without a clue apparently)...which unfortunately keeps driving up the price.

Yes - the best case mis-match I ever saw was an Aristocrat in a blue Super Speed case, touted as all original. It even had the instructions for the Super Speed!!! :lol:

I also like the razors with a reserve - and then the mysterious anonymous bidder that bids to JUST above the reserve price to get it going. :rolleyes:

And the 5-sec-before-it's-over snipe. I swear - I could bid $50 on a cup of dirt and STILL get sniped. :eek:

I will say one thing positive. I bought 2 unusable safety razors, and in each case, the seller refunded my money.

I think my RAD has been staved off by the slightly outlandish ebay bidding.

I completely agree. I limit my searches now to antique and thrift stores. It's not worth the risk on ebay anymore. Prices are too high to take a chance. Of course, the single best place to buy a vintage razor is right here at good old B&B. :thumbup:

proxy.php

As seen on ebay... Gillette Adjustable razor with a 40s super speed case with a pack of single edge razor blades... yeah that makes tons of sense. Below is the auction text (emphasis mine).

Up for bid is a Vintage K-1 (made in 1965) adjustable Gillette safety razor. Included with the razor is the razor case, a 6 blade used razor disposal case, and 3 STAR single edge razors in there original paper wrapping and ther original package(on the end flaps of the package it reads 4 for 10 cents, and new package adopted 1946). This razor is in great used condition. If you turn the razor lid toward the light there are some pin head like spots (like very small water stains) The razor is in perfect mechanical condition 1-9 adjustment works fine. The razor case top reads Gillette, Super speed, One piece razor. When I bought this razor I was told this is the original case-you be the judge. On bottom of the razor it reads made in USA and REG US PAT OFF. I cleaned these items in hot soapy water and wiped them with alcohol, you may want to sanitize them further. If there are further questions please email. Buyer to pay shipping and insurance. Thank you and happy bidding.

Has anyone else noticed that if a razor auction says "in original case" the chances are close to nil that is actually the correct case? The favorite razor/case mismatch seems to be the gold ball handled Tech in an Aristocrat case.

What's your favorite eBay warning phrase?

I got taken on a crappier razor in an Aristocrat case (only a couple bucks at an antique shop, though). The razor in it doesn't even... I don't know. I guess it would need a shim to raise the blade off the comb. It sits RIGHT on it. Then I came home and looked up an Aristrocrat. Wow. At least the Tech is a great shaver (for me).

THE ROCKET !!!!!!
UV Sterilized for your protection. Super clean and ready for you. Rare Goldtone/brass on the blade covers with nickel plating on the handle.

proxy.php

Can you say missing plating?

but they said it was... rare! It actually looks fairly ground down since the blade bar is usually raised a small amount above the doors. This is flat.

Top Bottom