What's new

Ikon X3

Not sure if I'm behind the eight ball here, but I just stumbled across some threads that mentioned this head from Ikon. Well, it's on sale for $25 so I decided to buy it. I've always been intrigued by slant razors, but never owned or used any......so what the heck. For $25 there's not too much to lose here.

Well, it arrived yesterday so I put it to use this morning. I have an OC Ikon I bought years ago that is a bit too aggressive for me, so I took the bulldog handle off of that and mated it to the new X3 head. I wasn't sure what to expect, but the thing sure looks funny all bent over. I loaded up an Astra blade that came with it, and BOOM.....great shave. It is a mild shaver, but very efficient. I didn't really get much (if any) blade feedback....it was just smooth and comfortable. I had much less clean up to do after my third pass with this thing compared to my Blackbird and Yates, my two go to razors. My face was left smooth and irritation free. I'll see how fast the stubble grows back. With my Blackbird and Yates, I stay fairly smooth for about 8-10 hours.

Needless to say I'm very surprised at the performance of the X3. I didn't know what was going to happen, but I'm excited with the results from my first test drive.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Congrats -- some folks feel the X3 is too mild for them, but I'm VERY happy with mine. Another complaint is that the cutting window is considered narrow....sounds like you found it and had a great shave!!! Keep us posted as you continue to use it.

Congrats -- some folks feel the X3 is too mild for them, but I'm VERY happy with mine. Another complaint is that the cutting window is considered narrow....sounds like you found it and had a great shave!!! Keep us posted as you continue to use it.

Yes, I felt it to be mild, yet efficient, but the angle wasn't too hard to find. I searched for it a little on my neck, but found it without too much effort. Thanks for commenting.

Reactions: AQU
It is really the razor that killed my RAD. Even to this day I own razors I never tried because I lost interest in trying other razors. I get very close shaves using this razor.

While both sides of the razor are the same mild, the difference in scallops makes it easier to wear out a blade more evenly. I use one side for the first pass and then the other side for my second (which is last) pass.

Last edited:
I bought a blem head and I found I noticed a difference between both sides. The finer scalloped side is definitely less aggressive to me. I do really like this concept though idk if I got lucky, or am more sensitive to this than others. It looks like it has pretty low blade exposure and decent blade gap, but many seem to consider it mild. What slant is more mild the parker semi slant maybe?

I own this razor too. Maybe the mildest razor I own, and the mildest among my seven slant razors.

The only difference is that the X3 is the less efficient slant I own. The most efficient and very mild at the same time is FOCS for sure.

I find the Merkur 37C to be far more efficient than X3, but X3 as said, is the mildest.

IMHO X3 is a very mild razor, efficient, but not as efficient as my other slants.

IMHO X3 is a very mild razor, efficient, but not as efficient as my other slants.
I have tried other slants, including 37C. The thing with X3 is that it is very picky with the angle. As soon as the angle is slightly off, it will not give a super close shave. Thus I think the true efficiency you notice only if you shave for longer time with it. Because of how rigid the blade is and how wide the gap is (no clogging), I find X3 to be more efficient than the other slants I own.

I find it more forgiving, but still very efficient like other slants making it easier to get a bbs. I like having two sides with one being more aggressive/efficient it's nice for touch ups, or if you just want certain areas to be slightly more efficient.

I will definitely compare the sides to see which is more mild, as my first shave w/a personna med left a little irritation. I will try a gillette silver as well as an Astra next w/the X3. I definitely need some more practice.

I will definitely compare the sides to see which is more mild, as my first shave w/a personna med left a little irritation. I will try a gillette silver as well as an Astra next w/the X3. I definitely need some more practice.
Because it is so mild, it is easy to get tricked into adding pressure. I have been like that before too. For some reason one is expecting to feel more blade than what can be felt. Try to really make sure you focus on not getting tricked by your brain, because your brain will want to add pressure.

Last edited:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
What slant is more mild the parker semi slant maybe?

I'd say they're about equally mild but in different ways. [grin]

The Parker isn't quite as finicky about angle. There IS a difference in the X3's differential head, but in my experience the "coarse" side was too fine and the "fine" side wasn't fine enough. That and the narrow sweet spot convinced me that I have better shavers that don't require as much attention.

O.H.

Good score! I find my X3 to be both very comfortable and efficient. It's probably my favorite slant. The correct angle is, as noted, pretty narrow, but for me it's also pretty intuitive. I do prefer razors without a lot of blade feel as I find them smooth and generally effortless, and the X3 fills the bill.

Had my second shave yesterday with the X3. No different than my first experience. Close, comfortable shave with no irritation. I paid more attention to the angle thing. It is narrow, but for some reason it's very intuitive. Had no issues keeping it right where it needed to be. I can't tell any difference between the two sides of the base.....they feel and perform the same to me. Very impressed so far. Not sure about the head being aluminum. How well will it hold up?

On a whim last night, I purchased an ATT S1 head to try. Anyone have experience with the S1?

Not sure about the head being aluminum. How well will it hold up?
This is something I would not worry about. In February 2017 I bought my first X3, and it was second hand. I see no difference at all from when I bought it. Almost every shave since 2017 has been with this razor. As it became my daily driver I bought a spare X3, but I have not needed it so far.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Anyone have experience with the S1?

No, fate brought me straight to the S2 and I have not been motivated to get an S1.

I love the S2. It's the razor that can bail out a bad shave any time and turn it into a smooth experience.

I imagine the S1 will be almost as close as the S2, possibly somewhat smoother if you find OC razors to be a bit rough occasionally. It's one of the more innovative slants -- all the magic is under the cap so it doesn't look like much at first.

O.H.

Top Bottom