What's new

if you had to choose one DE/SE/SR for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

+3

It might not be fancy and it's made from ZAMAC but the Merkur Progress is the most superior shaver I've ever used in terms of comfort and the shave result (easy BBS each and every time)!!
As far as I know, the handle is brass. The top cap is ZAMAK for sure. Not sure about the bottom plate.

Or in other words, the latest Gillette Tech made in China. A great razor. :thumbup1:

I'm a Light Handle Fanboy so I swapped the original (6.4 gram) handle on mine for a Phoenix El Fantasma (5.5 gram) handle:
View attachment 1363887 :001_wub:
I perfectly understand your logic. It's definitely a good razor. With the right blade it works very well. The simple things in life and all that.

Reactions: Cal
As far as I know, the handle is brass. The top cap is ZAMAK for sure. Not sure about the bottom plate.

That's great news if the handle is brass.

The plate is ZAMAC though as the thread wore away a bit of the plate (near the hole on the plate) and it looks to be ZAMAC.

The wear hasn't caused any further issues, though I don't expect it to last decades...but I do have a second one as back-up.

That's great news if the handle is brass.

The plate is ZAMAC though as the thread wore away a bit of the plate (near the hole on the plate) and it looks to be ZAMAC.

The wear hasn't caused any further issues, though I don't expect it to last decades...but I do have a second one as back-up.
I don't think I have seen a razor with a ZAMAK handle. There might be such a thing, but usually the handles are brass, aluminium or stainless steel. They are the part that's easier to manufacture.

I don't think I have seen a razor with a ZAMAK handle. There might be such a thing, but usually the handles are brass, aluminium or stainless steel. They are the part that's easier to manufacture.
From what I’ve been able to find online some of the metal Gillette contract tech handles made during WW2 might have been made out of zamak due to brass shortages. But I’ve only seen one source for this so take it with a grain of salt

It would have to be my daily driver pre war tech. I have a couple spares that are mint, but there something about the character of this one.

Currently using a post war tech base plate to calm some neck irritation issues, but expect to be back to stock soon.

I also like that it, plus the base plate donor razor and all of this little setup was less than $40.

2725363C-7ECB-4532-823E-685B8C9E8AC0.jpeg
BAF8502B-4AB1-4C61-871C-BB4D154BE87F.jpeg

It would have to be my daily driver pre war tech. I have a couple spares that are mint, but there something about the character of this one.

Currently using a post war tech base plate to calm some neck irritation issues, but expect to be back to stock soon.

I also like that it, plus the base plate donor razor and all of this little setup was less than $40.

View attachment 1367236View attachment 1367237
i do want to get a fat handle tech, is the shave the same as the box standard tech?

i do want to get a fat handle tech, is the shave the same as the box standard tech?
I think it’s a tad more aggressive than the post war tech. When I have any irritation troubles, I’ll switch to a post war baseplate for a milder shave. That being said, it seems that most people still consider it a mild shaver overall.

Top Bottom