What's new

if you had to choose one DE/SE/SR for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

Unquestionably, undoubtedly, undeniably, this:

20211116_084436.jpg

Very nice how much did it set you back? If you don't mind me asking
Not at all - $690. Essentially the same Sailor razor is occasionally available from Bullgoose (or directly from Rocnel) for a little over half that, but the Master Collection only has 50 pieces, different balance and handle and is basically hand-crafted. Considered one of the best adjustables made, and not just my opinion. Pretty heavy beast, and definitely not cheap (Wolfman territory), but if I had to live with one, this is it.

Not at all - $690. Essentially the same Sailor razor is occasionally available from Bullgoose (or directly from Rocnel) for a little over half that, but the Master Collection only has 50 pieces, different balance and handle and is basically hand-crafted. Considered one of the best adjustables made, and not just my opinion. Pretty heavy beast, and definitely not cheap (Wolfman territory), but if I had to live with one, this is it.
wow thats a lot, dont think id ever pay that much for a razor tbh,
but if it makes you happy, why not huh?

just from all the top end razors what made you pick that one exactly? sorry dont know anything about this razor tbh

wow thats a lot, dont think id ever pay that much for a razor tbh,
but if it makes you happy, why not huh?

just from all the top end razors what made you pick that one exactly? sorry dont know anything about this razor tbh
Yeah, $$$ end of DEs, although CG, Wolfman, Homelike are up there as well. This one because of reviews, other users here and elsewhere, the overall design - the Sailor is fairly well known for excellent design and quality. Is it $400 better than my Rex for a shave? Probably not, but very subjective. Is it better? Absolutely - twice. It's a much more precision razor in design and function, but priced accordingly. I think when you get past $200-ish for a DE (and actually, a $30 Gillette Tech delivers a great shave), you're paying for incremental improvements that may or may not be worth the difference to individual users. I can get a pretty good shave with my AS-D2, and it's no slouch for comfort either. As they say, you pays yer money and you takes yer choice. :001_smile

As an addendum to the "one razor" question, any adjustable, sort of, fits the bill for one razor. An argument against is that any adjustable is like a Swiss Army knife - good at many things, not great at any. The SAK has a screwdriver, for instance, but it's not as good as a "real" screwdriver. But it is a screwdriver. A single purpose DE can be made lighter and more maneuverable than an adjustable, and if you never change the gap, arguably better. More recently however, the newest crop of adjustables can mimic the setting of any single purpose DE, with sometimes better results. One incontestable fact is that an adjustable, even the venerable Fat Boy, can change the gap on the fly, hence changing the shave dynamics even during the shave. If you're an advocate, no single purpose DE can do that. If you wait a few days (or a lot of days, depending) before shaving, trimming down the overgrowth with a 0.95 and then following the first pass with your normal 0.68 daily shave makes a lot of sense. So there is some justification for the higher price of most adjustables, even ignoring the fact that they are more complex to make and require more precision fitting, because you get many razors in one. Different strokes, and good that there's a broad Universe for shavers of all persuasions, and choices enough for everyone. Or to quote the great Hindu sage, Yogi Berra "If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be."

Top Bottom