What's new

If you had to choose between corned beef and pastrami

Corned Beef or Pastrami?

• Corned Beef

• Pastrami

Results are only viewable after voting.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Somebody needs to seriously make two sandwiches with both meats and post pictures back here. I need visuals to drool over.

Why two sandwiches? The Carnegie Deli here has The Woody Allen: it's about a pound of pastrami topped with an equal amount or corned beef.

proxy.php

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Have you ever tried Hobbys Deli in Newark? Their sandwiches are fantatic.

I was born in Philly and raised in Brooklyn. I've wrestled alligators, worked as a sparring partner, ice road trucker, parachute tester, and cleaned shark and piranha tanks at the aquarium.

But I don't go to Newark. :tongue_sm

Eppes Essen, formerly of Newark and Orange, now in Livingston, makes great sandwiches too.

[. . . well, at least it used to, before I was banished to the Republic for asking them to put tongue on their pastrami and corned beef sandwich.]

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
$29.99 may sound like a lot for a sandwich, but it's worth it.

proxy.php
I have a friend who could put down 2 of them and probably go for a 3rd one. I could probably get through one. I wouldn't have to eat again for a day or 2.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I don't believe there is any such thing as an expert opinion on this subject, but there are certain qualifications that may be considered regarding the legitimacy of any particular reviewer's opinion. Here are mine.

One of the great cathedrals (no pun intended) of corned beef and pastrami is Katz's Delicatessen. They have been in continuous operation since 1888, a 128 year span covering fourteen different decades. This may seem mathematically impossible given my age, but I have personally eaten there in seven different decades- 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, and whatever the heck the last two decades are called. It is down the street from the house where my mother was born, and one of the oldest existing photos of yours truly is a picture of me sitting on my father's lap eating a corned beef sandwich. It is a dump- its décor barely edging out that of Tres Hermanos taqueria, a place that was, and gives every indication that it continues to be, a tire shop. Both their corned beef and pastrami may occasionally be tough or excessively fatty, but when they get it right it's as good as you'll ever encounter. It's also a Jewish thing, and you have to have schmaltz flowing through your veins to fully appreciate it.

There are some fundamental differences between the two. They're made from two different cuts of meat. Corned beef is made from brisket, as is most of the pastrami you'll ever come across, but real pastrami is made from beef navel. Add in the spice mix and the smoking and you're talking apples and oranges. Both can be sublime.

Which of the two rules?
Pastrami is the art form.

Every bar that offers free face painting and green beer on March 17th makes corned beef, but only pastrami is truly representative of of the long history of the art.
It is now official
I was born in Philly and raised in Brooklyn. I've wrestled alligators, worked as a sparring partner, ice road trucker, parachute tester, and cleaned shark and piranha tanks at the aquarium.

But I don't go to Newark. :tongue_sm
That is because you frighten the residents so much that they won't allow you in.

Pastrami. It is, after all, the most sensual of all the cured meats.

Oh, and kasha is delicious. It doesn't taste like sow bugs (don't ask me how I know).

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Ok, I'm part German...but didn't know I was part German until my dad moved us to a German town back in...who cares. Dad took us to the local German cafe and he introduced me to Corned beef on pumpernickel with sauerkraut. I order a beer with it but dad said, "wait you're only 15." I said, "aren't we German?" I tried....lol

Top Bottom