What's new

i would like to get some opinions

Should I open and use a NOS 1973 Gillette Tech

• Open and use the 197 tech

• Keep the 1973 tech in the box mint condition

Results are only viewable after voting.
You could buy a similar used one and use it to see how it shaves and keep the NOS in pristine condition or just use it. I assume all Tech made within a few years of your model would shave the same way so the first option would make sense. I'm not a collector so I don't really see the point in not using it, unless it's a really rare model which is hard to get.

Like Williams Shavespeare said 'To use, or not to use, that is the question' : / It is our curse ! Personally I never shave with my Red Rocket because I don't want to wear it even if it's already a used razor : / That's why I purchased a regular Red Tip lollll

I'm ALL about using NOS razors if they're in a case, but in a brand new sealed package? That's just a cool piece of memorabilia. Leave it, buy another Tech for $10, and shave with it.

Some observations:
-The 'future value' thing is a weak argument. I doubt a Tech will be worth $200 in 20 years. In the past 40 years they've probably become worth less than their inflation-adjusted sale price. Even if it did, that's $10/year before inflation--not enough to justify mothballing a razor you'd rather use.
-Looking at Completed Listings on eBay, it looks like you paid pretty good chunk of change for that razor. Opening it will make it any other low-buck Tech. You'd be way better off financially to sell it to someone who'd rather have a BNIB razor (I'd love to have it, but too rich for me) and buy another Tech.
-True to the YMMV mantra, you may want to try out a Tech before you sink effort and money into finding a birth year one. I find it to be a rather poor shaver.

your 100% correct I see tons of techs all over the internet on BST here ebay etc.... for like $10 this NOS was a lot more money try over $50 and the only reason I ever would pay that money was that it was NOS and my wifes birth year as I collect based on birth years of family members. With inflation you are also correct in 20 years $200 will either be our new $20 or if things go badly our new $2,000 though.... it's hard to predict were we are actually heading at this point. For now it stays sealed.

Like many, leave it NIB and buy another to shave with understanding that stashing this razor away for years is not going to make you rich.

Is it really worth that much to just keep it in a box and fondle it now and then?
You'll get much joy from using such a razor with history...hmm infact it aint got no history! lol
Use the razor. The monetary value over the years isnt worth the cupboard space.

Whichever way you decide, enjoy your razor! Its a great specimen.

Last edited:
If you don't care about collecting, sell this NOS version and use the money to buy 2 or 3 other identical Techs that will shave just as well as this one. At least that way the NOS item is preserved.

Use it.

Do any of us know with iron clad certainty that we will be alive 20 years from now?

Can you guarantee that some day it might not end up out of your control, in a neighborhood garage sale, and go for $5 dollars?

Use it.

Personally, I'd find another Tech in good condition and give it a try. If, I liked it a lot, that shiny NITB Tech would be in my rotation. If, I didn't like the shave or if it was no different than other razors I had access to, it would be left in the package and it would be on sale. Bottom line, IMHO, these things were made to be used. If I don't appreciate a razor I find, I do my best to pass it along.

I think you need to ask yourself whether you bought the razor because you intended to use it, or if you bought as a collectible. If it was me I would use it, because I don't by anything just to have it sit and collect dust.

Great input so far everyone.....I bought this to use it not collect I use them in my rotation and on said persons as I have a razor for everyone in my families birth year on their birthday. Like I said in my OP this one is my wife's year. Very good points on both sides though. Last night when I went to bed it was dead even 50/50 this morning there is a much larger gap to use it ....... like I said though I'm giving it 2 weeks at this point it's like a week and a half ..... I'm still on the fence , I don't know why as truly the Tech was not that collectable.....at least from what my perception is.

A Tech wouldn't be my choice to keep as a collection piece, but since you have one unopened, I would leave it that way. Techs are plentiful and you can get a different one for fairly cheap if you want one to shave with. I use my vintage razors, but if I had one unopened, I wouldn't.

A Tech wouldn't be my choice to keep as a collection piece, but since you have one unopened, I would leave it that way. Techs are plentiful and you can get a different one for fairly cheap if you want one to shave with. I use my vintage razors, but if I had one unopened, I wouldn't.

I agree and I don't think a tech will be my go to or even rotational razor either s I prefer a more aggressive razor than what I hear tech's can deliver ....... I put in a offer on a auction for a SA tech.... waiting for a response.

Not for nothing Jim but I still remember your advice and took it when it came to using barbacide on my vintage Rhodium and gold and it turned out fine so yeah your opinion counts to me.

Aaron, just wait another few days when the plating starts flaking off. :biggrin1:

Seriously, if you're still on the fence at this juncture, I think you may regret opening and using it. Better to pick up a used Tech as others have suggested. Good luck!

Last edited:
Keep it in the package! If you want to shave with a tech, buy one on eBay for $5. Better yet - I'll trade you this NOS one for a mint condition Tech that will provide you great shaves for the rest of your life.

It was not the tech I cared about actually I DO NOT WANT A TECH at all...... it was the year 1973 that was the important part to me as it was a birth year razor. Problem has been rectified...... I just purchased 2 razors kind of 3 ...... a 1973 T-4 black handled super speed and a 1973 T-1 Tech with long and short handles neither NOS and I can use them all day long so I guess I'm off the fence....though what will happen if I collect this and put in a collectors corner which I do have one with all NOS gear or sell it down the road yet remains to be seen if I had to think this hard I probably already knew I shouldn't open it.

Top Bottom