What's new

I went kayaking for the first time.

It was quite fun. My brother took me to a place that provides all the equipment and ferries you upriver for $30. It took about 2 1/2 hours to go 6 miles for so. The river was low, so I probably spent 15 minutes or so getting unstuck from rocks. There were a few class 2 rapids and I completely wiped out going over a waterfall. The waterfall is easily avoided because a small island splits the river, but hey why not? My shoulders were a little sore from paddling, but it all went away quickly.

There were turtles out the wazoo. A giant Great Blue Heron kept leading the way. There were also a few Little Blue Herons about. The juveniles where skittish, but one adult just watched me go by probably 10 feet away.

If you're looking for a little fun in northeast GA I'd recommend this place on the Broad River. The Sandbar Kayaking on the Broad River near Athens Georgia - https://www.thesandbarbroadriver.com

One of my mt. biking buddies is big time into kayaking, and he has shown me photos of some of the gnarly rivers he has ran. He keeps trying to get me to go with him, and I tell him that I'm too young to die! :001_07:
He says we would run an easy river, but what's his idea of 'easy'? :confused2

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
I have always wanted to try, I lust after a fishing kayak. My old broken body won't fold that way or remain in one position for anywhere near long enough. Enjoy and protect your back/body because they can fall apart in a flash.
I am jealous.

There were a few class 2 rapids and I completely wiped out going over a waterfall.

There were turtles out the wazoo. A giant Great Blue Heron kept leading the way. There were also a few Little Blue Herons about. The juveniles where skittish, but one adult just watched me go by probably 10 feet away.
Wow rapids and over a waterfall! 1st time and you got after it. Gliding along not spooking the wildlife is my favorite part of kayaking. It can be a little creepy in some waters. Gators never seemed interested but I had a few sharks roll right alongside in salt, checking it out I guess.

I have always wanted to try, I lust after a fishing kayak. My old broken body won't fold that way or remain in one position for anywhere near long enough. Enjoy and protect your back/body because they can fall apart in a flash.
I am jealous.
Words of wisdom there. I used to kayak fish before purpose-built models came out. Those are really impressive looking. It was great, especially in rivers. Slipping up and casting under trees for panfish and bass, especially with an ultralight. Or short casting with fly rod. Haven't in years due to beat up back/joints.

You guys sound like a bunch of broken-down old guys.
Where is the list so I can join the club?

It sounds like fun but I can't see doing it myself. Maybe 40 years ago.

I went again today, but went several miles upriver where it is smooth for a little over 5 miles. I took the wife and dog with me this time. The wife was in one kayak with a small cooler with water and lunch while I had the dog with me. I saw another Great Blue Heron, loads of turtles, a river otter, and a Kingfisher.

The shuttle took us and five managers from a large outdoors store chain that opened not too far away. Four were probably half my age. We lost them after about 10-15 minutes. It was my wife's first time and only my second time (with a dog to boot) and we left those city kids behind no problem. That's with us stopping to eat lunch.

The dog was mildly enjoying herself---standing at the front watching everything and she completely told a random rock off. She slipped and fell in about halfway through. After that she wanted in my lap and nothing could dislodge her. At the end she perked up though. The state tore down a bridge and was building another. With a little egging she rose to the occasion and told the workers what she thought of them and their mothers for making all that racket.

No pictures since I don't have a water proof camera. Just one of the dog when we got back. We're turning this ratting dog into a water dog. @steveclarkus

thumbnail_IMG_1350.jpg

Sounds like fun, all except the waterfall. Falls and dams create hydros. Hydros create death. A good childhood friend came ever so close to death in a hydro below a dam. He was under for a good half minute or so. Seemed like an eternity before he showed up downstream in fast running current. He was under the whole time. He never did that again.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Congrats! Sounds like fun. I’m more of a canoe guy myself, but I do like to get out and paddle. I’d love to do more river running. If you don’t mind an unsolicited tip, try to twist your torso as much as you can to paddle with your core. Those muscles are much stronger and spare the shoulders and arms.

Top Bottom