What's new

I want to try Martin de Candre Artisan Shaving Soap, recommend a scent.

THE go-to source for any and all samples of soaps. The owner, Jim, is a true gentleman!

Shipping across the pond is $3-4 and the samples themselves are not much more than that.

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what it might cost me for shipping.

I don't think you can go wrong with MdC. The last time I was in France, I smelled them all—Original, Fougere, Vetiver, Agrumes, Rose (did not smell unscented for what I hope is an obvious reason). They were all pleasant and nice—nothing was ever a 'strong' scent. I chose the Agrumes because I really enjoy a quality, pure citrus scent (love their grapefruit/lemon combo). I am super, super happy. I thought I was going to get either the Rose or Fougere.

If you happen to know things you don't like, eliminate those. Then, I might choose something that is missing in my soap lineup. If those ideas don't help, then grab samples. At the price point of MdC, samples make a lot of sense. Finally, if nothing else helps, go with the most popular on the forums (what that is, I have no idea, but you can tally up the recommendations in this post as well as others in the past).

Last edited:
I finally got in my 2 samples of MdC, Original and Rose. I tried the original last night. It made a very nice thick lather. Since I only used it once I should not comment too much on it but I have to say as a first impression, I was more impressed with MWF. In fact I think MWF is a much better soap.
Of course everyone has their own idea of what is best. I will use it again on Friday and see how it goes.

You just might be in the tallow-lovers group!

I basing this on performance. Even when I was new at this new hobby I noticed how MWF made such a rich lather that stood out from all the rest. Like I said I will try it again on Friday and maybe I will get better results this time. Not that it was bad before, just not outstanding to me.

MdC is for most an expensive soap àt the initial outlay. I wonder if guys skimp on loading it on the brush. By that I mean half the time you swirl your brush when compared to other soaps. Don't skimp on loading and you'll get the kost fantastic, creamy silky lather you can imagine!
This is where samples fail, apart from telling you what the scents like......

I loaded it like I read somewhere how to load a sample. I spooned out a little and pressed it into my bowl. Lathered it that way. I loaded quite a bit of soap.

Ive never had such close shaves since using Mdc. I wonder if others feel the same. And this with the supposedly mild ATT r1.

I loaded it like I read somewhere how to load a sample. I spooned out a little and pressed it into my bowl. Lathered it that way. I loaded quite a bit of soap.

Sounds like you are overloading it. From everything I’ve seen, just 10-15 swirls with a damp brush gets you tons of lather once worked/hydrated adequately. With MWF, loading the heck out of it is a requirement to get a good lather, has been for me anyway. It’s very hard to overload MWF. Here’s a good demo of a guy loading/lathering MdC:

Sounds like you are overloading it. From everything I’ve seen, just 10-15 swirls with a damp brush gets you tons of lather once worked/hydrated adequately. Here’s a good demo of a guy loading/lathering MdC:

I am talking about loading from a sample jar.
I don't know if you have ever seen a sample jar of MdC but 10-15 swirls won't get you much. They are 1.25 inch diameter.

I am talking about loading from a sample jar.
I don't know if you have ever seen a sample jar of MdC but 10-15 swirls won't get you much. They are 1.25 inch diameter.

You said you “loaded quite a bit of soap”. As can be seen in the video, you don’t need to load quite a bit of soap, that was my point.

You said you “loaded quite a bit of soap”. As can be seen in the video, you don’t need to load quite a bit of soap, that was my point.

Oh I see. I have a spot of MdC in my bowl about the size of a quarter. I swirled it until it looked like enough. Then I added more water.

Oh I see. I have a spot of MdC in my bowl about the size of a quarter. I swirled it until it looked like enough. Then I added more water.

Yes “enough” can be quite subjective! This soap looks to perform like Tabac. If you load “enough” Tabac it’s probably enough to shave 5 people! Try less and see how it goes?

Yes “enough” can be quite subjective! This soap looks to perform like Tabac. If you load “enough” Tabac it’s probably enough to shave 5 people! Try less and see how it goes?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I said from the start the soap works great. My only point is so far it does not stand out to be the best I've tried. Maybe when I tune it in some I will like it more.
As I said it's not easy working from a tiny sample jar.

Top Bottom