What's new

I want to thank you all...

So, for as long as I can remember I have been a person who enjoyed outdoorsy, perhaps "manly" things if you will. I love a great book, a real good cigar, the smell of pipe tobacco, golf, camping, grilling, red meat, the mountains/woods/streams of Pennsylvania (keep in mind I'm 25 years old)...and now I can add real old fashioned shaving to the mix...and that is thanks to all of you.

I grew up in two worlds. I was born in raised in New York City, and currently live in Manhattan while going to law school. I went to college in Albany, NY...the capital for those who don't know. So, the availability of those things listed above throughout the majority of the minutes of my life were scarce...I was primarily a city boy. However, since before I was born my family spent every summer; all two months and weekends in May/June and October....in a camper in a campground in East Stroudsburg, PA. It was always the best times of my life. I would wake up in the morning, eat a good breakfast, wave goodbye to mom and run away only to return for dinner, and then run away again. We spent our time playing games, finding animals, fishing, swimming, and building clubhouses deep in the woods. I truly love New York City, but the best times have always been the simpler things...the rustic things...the down to earth things. I think this is why I have fallen in love with this, what I now consider to be the manliest of rituals. Not only does it connect me to the past, but it brings me back to a place I think we are supposed to be as men...even modern men. Perhaps this is corny, but it's what I think about it.

Since I've taken up this hobby I have used tools more than I did in the previous 5 years combined; I've put things together with my hands; I've visited parts of Manhattan I had never had a reason to visit before; I have learned more about my own face and skin that ever before; I believe it has stregthened my discipline, as I have managed to lose 24 pounds since Christmas night; and I have seen a proud smile on the love of my lifes face each time I discover something new. It has been a wonderful find this hobby of ours.

I think my favorite part was Christmas day...when I received from my Dad, with whom I've never had a close relationship with...if we weren't discussing baseball...we were yelling at each other, my first razor...he got me my Merkur HD. He was amazed that I wanted such a thing and he talked about remembering these razors from when he grew up. He took some time to inspect it and it seemed to put a smile on his face. Perhaps it reminded him of his Dad. Anything that can give me something to talk about with my Dad at this point is a good thing. And to add to the familial positives....in two weeks I will be at my brothers house for my nieces birthday at which point he will give to me my Great Grandfather Tim's straight razor - he's the one who came over from Ireland - he's the one who fought in the first world war - and he's the one for whom I'm named after. There aren't many things that can connect me to him like this.

People do this for different reasons. Some wish to save money - I haven't...by far. Some wish to get a better shave - frankly, I haven't as of yet (I'M WORKING ON IT). Some do it because they are environmentally conscious....that is wonderful and I only wish my reasons were as unselfish. I do it because it makes me feel good when there are more things than I wish nowadays that do just the opposite. It's simple...you want to cut hair, put a blade to it. It's precise. It takes work. It takes taste. It takes concentration and practice. It takes discipline. It's old fashioned. It's rustic...it's manly...it's how it's supposed to be done...and I think that is the real reason I like it.

I want to thank everyone here who has given advice to me and others, those who have contributed (and I suggest anyone who hasn't go ahead and throw a few dollars down to help out, it ain't much, but it'll go a long way), the moderators, everyone involved in helpful PIF's, those who give good prices particularly on starter kits, and to those who think of creative and entertaining posts for me to read during my Intellectual Property Business and Transaction Law class. I spend a lot of time here and I enjoy it.

I don't know why I felt the need to post this...but I did.

Cheers fellas.
::sips an appropriate drink...an Old Fashioned::

Last edited:
Great story.

I agree, the traditional shave strikes a chord within that is hard to explain, but the effect is undeniable.

Well said sir. My parents (really my grandparents who adopted me) told me that they still had my mothers grandfathers (so really my great great grandfathers) straight somewhere. What a treasure you have. Now I have to get on my folks to dig up mine!

Well put Sir.

The great New Yorker Theodore Roosevelt wrote frequently how being in the wild made him feel manly. He described it as feeling "burley". Hiking a wilderness trail with cold air on a freshly shaved face ranks as "burley" in my book.

Bully!

Great story!

I can relate somewhat...although my Dad and I have a better relationship, he too was surprised when I wanted to traditional wetshave vs. go the electric route. As has been posted on here before...when all that society had were DEs...shaving with them was seen as a chore and the invention of the electric was seen as "progress." America's typical BIGGER, FASTER, MORE mentality which strikes all of us from cars to shave tools.

Anyhoo...he broke out his vintage US Navy Issue Gillette Super Adjustable. He said, "you know...been hanging on to this for years for nostalgia...you take it!" I was amazed...after a quick clean it looks and shaves like new...and now I feel closer to my Dad because of it!

Cant wait til he sees I'm shaving with str8s now!

I have 4 str8's ...2 from each grandfather. Everytime I use them I think of that grandfather and the smells and memories flood back. Thanks for the post and enjoy your razor's

Top Bottom