What's new

I should have baby proofed more...

So while my wife was getting ready, my daughter managed to grab (well really knock) my Simpson Chubby 2 onto the ground which resulted in the following. Is this able to be salvaged or should I suck up the tears and say goodbye? Any input or guidance would be much appreciated.

1635616767939.png

Oof. Tough to see. If the fragments are still in solid piece, you can glue/epoxy them together. If that's not possible, I would break the rest of the handle to try to get the knot out safely and transplant into another handle. Figure out the knot size and purchase and brush handle by itself and make it your own. I've recently glued two brushes and they're looking like fine specimens.

You gotta try and glue the pieces back together. 50 years from now that'll be a great story for the family, worth a WHOLE lot more than a perfect brush my friend!
Yep. There's a Japanese art form called Kintsugi that uses powdered gold to actually bring out the joinery in broken pottery. Perhaps you could do something with resin. I know they make a variety of powders to add color to resins.

Unlucky. I was flicking water out of my Chubby 2 the other day when it slipped out of my hand. I essentially threw it as hard as I could at close range into the bathtub. I was surprised and relieved that there was no damage to the brush or bath. Nothing lasts forever. Especially when you go around dropping it! Just be happy that she didn’t get into your blades. Those you really need to baby proof. The kid will most likely only get a nick but your wife will bash the living daylights out of you.

Oof. Tough to see. If the fragments are still in solid piece, you can glue/epoxy them together. If that's not possible, I would break the rest of the handle to try to get the knot out safely and transplant into another handle. Figure out the knot size and purchase and brush handle by itself and make it your own. I've recently glued two brushes and they're looking like fine specimens.
What @Timeclo said.

Maybe @Rudy Vey may support you with replacing the handle by a unique new one and with re-setting of the knot if you don't want to do it on your own.

PS with black friday sales coming up it's maybe the best time of the year to break a piece of gear... and most importantly your daughter wasn't injured.

I'm on the get a new handle turned train. Like others have said drop Simpsons a line and ask about a new handle you've nothing to loose. But Rudy is a great idea. Keep the damaged handle for a keep sake. 100% savable.

If only one large piece broke out, try gluing it back in, taking great care to make sure none of the glue gets on any part of the knot, just in case.

Think about how much you can tease your daughter about it when she's older.

If a lot of pieces broke out, then salvage the knot and put it in a new handle. If you don't trust yourself to get it right, then talk to Simpson or Rudy Vey about doing it for you.

Regardless of which choice you go with, tell your wife you need a new brush and shop the Black Friday sales for one, then get it fixed.

Top Bottom