What's new

I rolled my first Fatty today!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That's something to try before the cook-off. The one you did today...the slices looked great! You might want to think about serving the gravy on the side at the cook-off though. I dunno.

This gave me an idea though. Sometimes I'll do a small turkey breast over the holidays, and maybe this year I'll smoke one wrapped in a little bit of REAL BACON!!!

If it's not too much trouble or expense you might try the regular dry cornbread stuffing in two of them and wrap one in the turkey bacon and the other in real bacon for your next test cook. Just a thought.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
^^^I agree on the two different fatties. I'll wear the hat too...lol.

...the brother said, "we need to come up with a BBQ team name."

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I'll wear the hat too...lol.

Poser...Oh, wait a minute, you did compete but just not in that one. :biggrin1: And you can't compete in that one, you ain't a tribal member. But you do deserve the hat for your effort.

...the brother said, "we need to come up with a BBQ team name."

Texas Pork Butt Kickers? Naw, need something that also includes beef.

Smokin' Hot Bros.?

Awesome Sauce? :lol:

Stick Burners?

Slap Yo Momma BBQ?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Poser...Oh, wait a minute, you did compete but just not in that one. :biggrin1: And you can't compete in that one, you ain't a tribal member. But you do deserve the hat for your effort.

Texas Pork Butt Kickers? Naw, need something that also includes beef.

Smokin' Hot Bros.?

Awesome Sauce? :lol:

Stick Burners?

Slap Yo Momma BBQ?

Lol....hehaw funny.

Maybe...Team Smoke.....or Smokie and the Bandits. Or in the name of my deceased cousin.....Southwest Smokers.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I like Smokie and the Bandits and Southwest Smokers.

What's the connection with your cousin if I may ask?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I like Smokie and the Bandits and Southwest Smokers.

What's the connection with your cousin if I may ask?

My cousin Mike died from cancer a few years ago. He moved down to Beeville from Austin with nothing but ambition. He wanted to be closer to his mom and dad. He went to work with another cousin to learn carpentry. He showed up on his first day of work with a Stanley pin nail hammer and a 6 foot tape measure. All the guys laughed at him. Soon he learned the bigger business of framing. Everyone in the area wanted him to frame their houses. His company name was Southwest Framing. Rest in peace Mike...I love you.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Here's my last test fatty before the Cookoff next weekend. The stuffing this time is my mom's recipe made with cornbread. It's much drier and a lot more flavorful. I'm using regular bacon this time around too. Hope it holds together.

$image.jpg

Ribs and fatty...a good day.
$image.jpg

That does look like a good day. Using a dry stuffing may be the key, hope it works out.

Either way, you'll be eating Fatty & Ribs for supper :w00t:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
The fatty turned out great. The stuffing was firm and flavorful. The cranberry glaze helped brown the outside and was spicy sweet. I'll stuff the competition fatties with about a 1/3 less filling. I'll also drizzle a little of the glaze on the final cut medallions. The wife whole heartedly approved.

$image.jpg$image.jpg$image.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Looks like you hit the sweet spot on the stuffing there Aaron. Have you thought about using some cranberries in it for color like the PM I sent you?

You could always make two fatties at the cook-off...one like you just made and one with the cranberries, and turn in the best one. With your glaze I don't know if that would be overdoing it on the cranberries though. A drizzle of the glaze may work for visual appeal.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Looks like you hit the sweet spot on the stuffing there Aaron. Have you thought about using some cranberries in it for color like the PM I sent you?

You could always make two fatties at the cook-off...one like you just made and one with the cranberries, and turn in the best one. With your glaze I don't know if that would be overdoing it on the cranberries though. A drizzle of the glaze may work for visual appeal.

We will make two fatties. The stuffing for both is set. The glazing is the question. Like you Mike, my brother recommended a little glaze on the inside and a brushing on the outside. I'm not so sure. It's just going to come down to a decision in the final moment. I believe 6 medallions will be needed in the box.

Intrigued

Bigfoot & Bagel aficionado.
We're still waiting to hear if you guys won.......... :a36:

It's only been 4 years & 3 months... :001_unsur

Top Bottom