What's new

I rolled my first Fatty today!

With inspiration from @simon1 @jim @argonaut and the rest of the Mess Hall Regulars...it was time for me to roll my first fatty :001_cool:

Here are a few of the inspirational threads, pics and quotes that finally got me off my butt and got this under way:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-amp-B-s-BBQ-depository?p=4740241#post4740241

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/339523-BBQ-Smoking-Ideas?p=4997077#post4997077

http://www.grilling24x7.com/fatty.shtml

It was on my "must grill" list for 2013 and I never did.

I'm re-adding it to my 2014 list, along with a Fatty.
That's the ticket!

So my wife picked up some Johnsonville Mild Italian and Sweet Sausages, so I decided to do a blend. Decased them, mashed them together and stuffed my Ziplock. We had some Applewood Smoked Bacon on hand, cheese blend, fresh herbs from the garden, fresh garlic, S&P, deli meat and a few others things. We opted to NOT put in the peppers and onion for the inaugural Fatty, instead it will be served with a poppyseed and apple coleslaw or and some fresh steamed baby potatoes.

Here are the pics so far and it's set to hit the smoker later this afternoon at 250* for a couple hours and when it hits approx 170-175*

Ingredients all laid out:

Mix of Sausages out of casings:

Mashed up and rolled out in Ziplock:

Layer with ingredients:

Starting to roll it out:

Ready to wrap in Bacon:

My first ever Bacon Weave (likely not my last):

Wrapped in cling wrap to chill and firm in fridge:

Last edited:
Mother of god.

My wife called it the "Poutine of the BBQ world" :lol:

Oh man.....

Post again about this adventure.....

If you survive.....

For sure and with pics of the progress once it hits the Ceramic Cooker and plated. It won't be a regular dinner items for us, but I figure once or twice a year should (shouldn't) hurt.

I've been reading and seeing pics of these things, ever since I got in to BBQing and Smoking and am slowly working my way through my list of "must do" items.

I crossed off the Brisket earlier, now the fatty and next will be a pulled pork.

Last edited:
It won't be a regular dinner items for us, but I figure once or twice a year should hurt.

Oh I bet it will too :yesnod:

Looking forward to what you say about it, not that I could ever convince SWMBO to eat something with that much bacon and sausage in it :nonod:

I think the salt might be a bit much with bacon (salty), pork sausage (salty) and cheese (also salty)

Maybe cook it then let it cool. Wrap it in a puff pastry then back into a 375-400º oven for 15 min or so until the pastry is expanded and browned and the "roll" is heated back up...

Not sure what else could be used to cut the salt down. I'll give it some thought and if I do, I'll post back.

Defiantly go for it as it is now to get a good starting basis for any changes/improvements.

And we have Lift Off. :w00t:

The Maverick is set for 160* at which time I will sauce it for the last 10* and smoker set for 250*

I'm guessing 2.5 - 3 hours, but will let the probe tell me when to pull it off. It held together surprisingly well, but we'll see what happens when it starts to cook.

$uploadfromtaptalk1403381047465.jpg

To cut some salt you could just use ground pork.

Being my first Fatty, I went all out and didn't hold back. I'm guessing it will be extremely juicy, fatty and salty. If we like the actual flavours involved, a mix of Ground Pork (which I use in my burgers all the time) and another ground meat (Beef or maybe veal), may be in order for future attempts.

Last edited:

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Wow Bruce!

Looks like you put it together PERFECT!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Now, how far away from me do you live again? :biggrin1:

Wow Bruce!

Looks like you put it together PERFECT!

Can't wait to see the finished product.

Now, how far away from me do you live again? :biggrin1:

Thanks. I had your post and pics on my phone sitting beside me, while we Wife and I) were assembling and wrapping.

It went together without issues and even held together when I transferred to the smoker.

So far, so good. Temp is holding steady between 230-240* and the meat is ever so slowly coming up.

If you were nearby, I'd be more the happy to offer you up a plate!

Can't wait to see the finished product, especially with the onions and peppers. I've always wanted to do this, but haven't had the chance to free up enough time after I'd eat it for the week long coma I'd go into!

Nice smoker setup btw, Bruce - excellent taste :thumbup:

That looks freaking incredible. I think I threw a clot just looking at it. I kid, I kid!
Thanks. I don't even want to know what the fat and salt content of it is. Those Johnsonville sausages are loaded on their own.
Can't wait to see the finished product, especially with the onions and peppers. I've always wanted to do this, but haven't had the chance to free up enough time after I'd eat it for the week long coma I'd go into!

Nice smoker setup btw, Bruce - excellent taste :thumbup:
Sorry, peppers and onions are being out on hold for tomorrows meal.

My wife is making a poppyseed and apple coleslaw as our veg side.

Looks like its gong to be done right on time, I had forgotten about the 15 resting time I had set on tumet...so I'm about to apply some Maple BBQ sauce and get it nice and crispy

Potato's are in the steamer and slaw is being worked on.

$uploadfromtaptalk1403387724307.jpg

Now I have to fire up the NG grill too,as my wife wants some grilled chicken for tomorrows Enchiladas :thumbup1:
$uploadfromtaptalk1403387771475.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom